Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Horrible Truth About Gamers :)

RoboDoge

Not to defend Fox News here, but the people who make these arguments do have a point, even if they blow it out of proportion. Every single aspect of entertainment has an impact on a person's personality, its just usually a minor one. This isn't just violence either. A person could become more humorous by constantly watching sitcoms, or more analytical by reading detective novels. It only stands to reason that violent media would have a similar impact.

A person who plays video games where he repeatedly shoots pedestrians in the head for the heck of it (*cough*GTA*cough*) probably is more likely to commit a violent crime than a person who doesn't, but probably not by a significant percentage. Hence, I don't see a problem with it.

However these cases in the media may simply be a correlation. Perhaps violent people are simply more likely to play violent video games, hence why we have all these violent criminals who are gamers. I mean, there is obviously a similar pattern with car enthusiasts being more likely to play racing games or be a fan of Top Gear.

However, I'm of the opinion that even if there is undeniable proof that any particular book, movie, or video game does make people violent, it should still remain in circulation uncensored. Art should not be held accountable for people's actions, even if their actions were inspired by art.

Not to defend Fox News here, but the people who make these arguments do have a point, even if they blow it out of proportion. Every single aspect of entertainment has an impact on a person's personality, its just usually a minor one. This isn't just violence either. A person could become more humorous by constantly watching sitcoms, or more analytical by reading detective novels. It only stands to reason that violent media would have a similar impact.

A person who plays video games where he repeatedly shoots pedestrians in the head for the heck of it (*cough*GTA*cough*) probably is more likely to commit a violent crime than a person who doesn't, but probably not by a significant percentage. Hence, I don't see a problem with it.

However these cases in the media may simply be a correlation. Perhaps violent people are simply more likely to play violent video games, hence why we have all these violent criminals who are gamers. I mean, there is obviously a similar pattern with car enthusiasts being more likely to play racing games or be a fan of Top Gear.

However, I'm of the opinion that even if there is undeniable proof that any particular book, movie, or video game does make people violent, it should still remain in circulation uncensored. Art should not be held accountable for people's actions, even if their actions were inspired by art.

Playing racing games is going to lead me to stealing cars and driving 220 mph down a civilian street. Where's Fox News when I need them?

Not to defend Fox News here, but the people who make these arguments do have a point, even if they blow it out of proportion.

No they don't.

If your point is that Video Games may have, in some small way, contributed to violent actions, then you can make the same case for virtually everything in a person's day to day life.

Maybe they got violent because someone cut him off while driving. Maybe they got violent because they had a bad job with an abusive boss. Maybe they got violent because their mom abused them as a child. Maybe they got violent because someone gave them the wrong order in a drive thru. Why are games being singled out? Because they're an easy target. Not understood by many, with young fans who often have gaming as thier primary hobby. It's much easier to point the finger at gaming than to point the finger at the neglegent mother, or the ineffective healthcare system. Those problems have complicated solutions. "Gaming made my kid crazy" is an easy, black and white, problem with an easy solution.

If your point is that Video Games may have, in some small way, contributed to violent actions, then you can make the same case for virtually everything in a person's day to day life.

Which I did, which you would realize if you read the whole post, or at least the sentence after where you quoted. Edited by Grilleds

Are you saying all old people are $&*&*#(%&? That's harsh.

You misunderstand.

What he's saying is that being most people of that age and older grew up without the kind of technology (and as a direct result, the kind of entertainment) that we all have today, so they haven't been able to form their own opinions on the matter, leaving them to take whatever the opinion of the news stations is as the truth.

Of course this isn't the case for all people, some are just plain idiots, but he's not trying to say they all are.

Edited by premoril

Are you saying all old people are $&*&*#(%&? That's harsh.

Sorry what I should have said was "Fox News is $&*&*#(%&" not "they are $&*&*#(%&" I can toally see how that looked now. Bleh.

Edited by ValhaHazred

This story is bullS#&$ and how dare they call themselves reporters. Some psycho shoots people, and the only thing they say is, "he plays video games". When something is wrong for fox, VIDEO GAMES! VIDEO GAMES ARE THE CANCER OF OR SOCIETY!. Dumbasses. They should be ashamed.

Edited by sp4rtan148

You did this as a basis to validate an irrational and unjustified viewpoint, and it makes no sense.

Its not irrational to extend the idea of media's effect on a person's personality to aggression and violence, when its already generally accepted (though not proven) that television has some impact on person's personality, and whether its justified is a matter of opinion. Stop taking arguments as personal attacks just because you are a gamer and step back for a minute and try to think rationally from an unbiased perspective. The damn controversy surrounding this issue has almost completely ruined any chance of an unbiased and professional study to find the truth of the claim since people are more likely to inject emotion into their views on the matter than any actual evidence.

Nobody is seriously arguing that playing GTA is going to make you want to kill someone. Even Fox News isn't dumb enough to argue that. But what is being argued is whether it has a small impact on a person's personality, which is actually a pretty reasonable claim when we consider how much the media in general impacts people's day to day lives. If reading detective novels can make someone more analytical, and watching sitcoms can make a person more humorous, then why can't playing violent video games make someone more aggressive, even if its only by a small amount?