Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Color (Set) Sharing Program!

Ctrax

Allow me to give this a shot.

Went for a nice relaxing mossy look here.

72b10e32-f9ba-4e85-b0ab-795bb7b4964f_zps

Nightmare Moon colourscheme since she has my favourite colours ever. Put it on my favourite frame as well.

a7daeefb-d0b9-4695-a0af-d3b16ee52012_zps

Random colours I felt would be synergistic with Gold.

0e745160-94d7-49ab-ace3-6786e8b020ca_zps

Not sure what the meaning to this is.

2255a40a-a93c-4b11-a9c9-f5dd7035e745_zps

Queen Chrysalis cosplay. Works well because Queenie and Nyx can control minds.

9c4dc37e-eae8-4f87-a95a-acf2a1067e65_zps

I think I was inspired by some hive queen on "My Life as a Teenage Robot" who had similar colours.

5c7c1641-2d16-4188-ae8e-b15d878b1133_zps

Working on a Trinity one soon.

Going to start the Event with my Saryn :D  Only Grineer Weaponry (Might change to Machete)

BEmAckH.jpg

8jhlTmg.jpg

Left out Loki/Excalibur/Excalibur Prime

Loki:  Majority Grey with True Purple Highlights

Excalibur:  Majority Black Vanilla/Pale Highlights

Excalibur Prime:  Literally looks like a Easter Egg.

Okay, I have a few color schemes I rather like, so I'll post 'em up here for you guys. If I come up with some more nice ones, I'll post them.

A few frames with the right color sections, I set up a regal theme:

Ash

wc43aG4.jpg

Banshee, Two variants. Note the placement of the colors in order to replicate.

yoyQr78.jpg

H9S1QCh.jpg

Excalibur

0tFKhij.jpg

Nekros

DlcVBPy.jpg

Volt

i6Zefgu.jpg

These colors can be replicated with classic, though they look best with Saturated. The upper center tan color is the one you want for the trim, the purples are generally the mid-to-dark purples up at the top. Classic may be better for the purple, as in most of these there's a somewhat drab color to them that makes the white and gold stand out a bit better. The white can come from pretty much any color set. For the yellow, I prefer the bottom left yellow from Storm, but any gold-ish color will work, even the color from the trim works fine. Purple is also used on a few of these, for the sake of the Asa syandana

Then I've got a halloween scheme for Ash, to match the day of the dead weapon skins:

kSTWqDB.jpg

This nice color scheme for Banshee was derived from the Random color selector. I adjusted the colors to fit a little better, but this is more or less what the game came up with. I liked it so much I stuck it on Volt as well.

nSguuhP.jpg

gOYakQJ.jpg

My default skins for Excalibur, Rhino and Volt:

XT7pZpv.jpg

iWNtxC7.jpg

XmMCIwK.jpg

My Trinity color schemes:

iUgyy0x.jpg

BicNLya.jpg

J8wsbgN.jpg

And finally, my Dethcube color scheme. Look familiar?

LCtL7e6.jpg

Edited by TheInfiniteDoom

Okay, I have a few color schemes I rather like, so I'll post 'em up here for you guys. If I come up with some more nice ones, I'll post them.

A few frames with the right color sections, I set up a regal theme:

Ash

wc43aG4.jpg

Banshee, Two variants. Note the placement of the colors in order to replicate.

yoyQr78.jpg

H9S1QCh.jpg

Excalibur

0tFKhij.jpg

Nekros

DlcVBPy.jpg

Volt

i6Zefgu.jpg

These colors can be replicated with classic, though they look best with Saturated. The upper center tan color is the one you want for the trim, the purples are generally the mid-to-dark purples up at the top. Classic may be better for the purple, as in most of these there's a somewhat drab color to them that makes the white and gold stand out a bit better. The white can come from pretty much any color set. For the yellow, I prefer the bottom left yellow from Storm, but any gold-ish color will work, even the color from the trim works fine. Purple is also used on a few of these, for the sake of the Asa syandana

Then I've got a halloween scheme for Ash, to match the day of the dead weapon skins:

kSTWqDB.jpg

This nice color scheme for Banshee was derived from the Random color selector. I adjusted the colors to fit a little better, but this is more or less what the game came up with. I liked it so much I stuck it on Volt as well.

nSguuhP.jpg

gOYakQJ.jpg

My default skins for Excalibur, Rhino and Volt:

XT7pZpv.jpg

iWNtxC7.jpg

XmMCIwK.jpg

My Trinity color schemes:

iUgyy0x.jpg

BicNLya.jpg

J8wsbgN.jpg

And finally, my Dethcube color scheme. Look familiar?

LCtL7e6.jpg

i love your vauban!

Ooh, I actually like yours better, CelsiusPrime. The slight gold tint works a lot better than pure white.

That's another thing I'd like to share with the thread. The trick to a great color scheme is NOT using the brightest colors. The instinct is to create the greatest possible contrast, such as the white/neon color or black/neon color combinations. Many times, a more subdued selection of colors can produce a better-looking result.
Take CelsiusPrime's as an example. He doesn't use the purest jet black, the most saturated dark red, nor does he use pure white. The gold and black sections pair well together, the gold and burgundy sections pair well together, and the black and burgundy sections pair well together. That's what you want in a color scheme. The sections don't have to match, but you want colors that complement each other. The color wheel that TacticalTree posted is a good resource to make use of. Black and white can take the place of pretty much any color in your Triad, or it can be used along with a Dyad. Triads are great for Warframe customization, as there are generally three main sections to each Warframe. Most frames and weapons won't make use of four colors, but you may want to look at Tetrads and decide on three of the colors to use. You won't get the colors from the color wheel exactly, because those are shown without black, white or gray added. Look at the box to the right for some examples of what adding white, black or gray to the selection could look like.

In fact, you can find CelsiusPrime's color scheme on the wheel right now. Go to http://colorschemedesigner.com/ and follow the directions in the spoiler:

-Now set the color picker to Triad. It'll make a little triangle.
-Place the black dot in the direction of the word "Cold". You should get Hue 208 degrees or so, and the white dots should fall on gold and red.
-The Gold or Yellow, with some gray and white added, becomes the gold used on his Volt.

-The Red, with some black and/or gray added, becomes the burgundy seen on his Volt.
-Black takes the place of the blue in his Triad, with some white added so that it's not jet black. If you had a dark gunmetal color, that would also work well. Some of the bluish-gray storm colors would also work in this spot.

My "Royal" color scheme does the same thing. To find that on the color wheel:

-While in Triad mode, click on the purple section of the color wheel. You should get something like Hue 331 degrees.
-The white dots should fall on gold and green.

-The purple on my frame is, of course, a tone of the purple we selected.

-The Gold on my frame is a tone or shade of the yellow.

-White takes the place of Green in this color scheme, though it doesn't hurt to give it just a touch of either gold or purple.

Alternatively, you can adjust the wheel to roughly 311 degrees and set it to complement. You still get gold and purple. White and Black will go with anything, so in many cases people are working with complements and are adding white or black to the extra segments. If that's the case, you may want to take a look at using a second instance of one of your two colors. Either add additional gold, or add additional purple. That may actually look nicer. You want to rely on white and black as little as possible in a good color scheme, unless the contrast is specifically what you're going for.

My default Trinity color scheme is pulled almost directly from this color wheel:

-Set the color wheel to 'Analogic'

-Set the angle to Hue 30 Degrees. You can do this by clicking in the top right where it says "warm".

-The three main colors are more or less the ones I put on my frame.

-The red can be the best Candy-Apple-Red you can get out of your color palette. I use the brightest Saturated red, up in the top corner.

-The orange on my frame has been diluted with gray to the point of being tan. You can see that tan is on there, as well as something of a brown color.

-The yellow on my frame isn't the brightest or most saturated, but it's still there. It's a little darker than the color suggested by the wheel, but more or less that's what I put on my Trinity

Even the enemies fall into these color schemes:

Set the color wheel to Hue 30 degrees, or leave it there if you just took a look at my Trinity color scheme.Take note that if you set the color wheel to "Accented Analogic", you'll get something pretty close to the Grineer color set.

-Red for Bombards

-Yellow for Seekers

-Orange for shotgun marines

-Blue for basic marines

-The flame grineer and Heavies are white accented with black and yellow respectively, while the scorpions are black entirely

-Most marines have a secondary color that is a darker version of their main color

Some quick Color Theory for those of you who are completely lost:

Hue: Everything you see on the color wheel. This is your ROY G. BIV, if you were taught that when you were young. Remember that this is ONLY the color itself. If it's not on the color wheel, it's not a Hue. There are no "light" and "dark" colors here.

"Warm" colors: the "ROY" part of ROY G. BIV is Red Orange and Yellow. It's the colors of fire, hence why we call them "warm". This term covers everything from Pink through Orange through Green.

"Cool" colors: The "BIV" section of ROY G. BIV is Blue, Indigo, and Violet. Again, we call them "cool" because they're the colors of ice, water and such. This term covers everything from violet through Blue through Green.

-Note that Red-Violet and Green show up as both warm and cool colors. This is because the warmth of these colors are determined by the colors around them. Yellow is always warm, Blue is always cool, but green can be warm or cool depending on what's around it.

Dyad/Complement: A pairing of two colors on opposite sides of the color wheel. For example: Blue and Yellow.

Triad: A grouping of three colors, two of which fall on one end of the color wheel, and one of which falls on the opposite end of the color wheel. For most color wheels, this is two colors next to each other, and one directly across from those two.

Tetrad: A grouping of four colors, forming a square on the color wheel.

Analogue: A grouping of colors close together on the color wheel.

"Accented Analogue", as seen on the Color Scheme Designer: This is an analogue, but with the addition of a complement to add a contrasting element.

Contrast: "the state of being strikingly different from something else, typically something in juxtaposition or close association." <- Copy pasted from a quick google search. You can imagine how this applies to Art. The complements described above all stand in contrast to their counterparts. "Complement" itself describes something that "completes or brings into perfection". A Complement as described above does this by taking two contrasting Hues and placing them together for balance.

Balance: Means pretty much the same thing that it does everywhere else, but keep it in mind when doing any kind of art, even just picking colors on a Warframe. When working with a triad, you can place the two analagous colors in sections that cover approximately 50% of the frame when combined, and use the complementary color to color the other part of the frame. Alternatively, you can skew the balance toward a certain color. In most art, this refers more to placement of objects, size and focus of the observer, but here you might want to keep balance in mind when choosing which sections of the warframe to apply each color to. As shown with my two Banshee schemes, the same colors can have a different look if you change which sections they're applied to.

Tint: A Hue, with some white added to it. This would be your Easter palette from the game, as well as everything to the right of the center column in the Saturated palette. When you add white to a Hue, you lower the saturation. This means that there is 1 part White for every X parts Hue. The color will get lighter, but it won't get brighter.

Tone: A Hue with Gray added to it. The gray itself is white added to black, or black added to white. The idea is that this lowers saturation with a minimal change in actual lightness or darkness. The color won't get lighter or darker, but it will be less bright. The center column of Classic compared with Saturated is a good example. The Saturated palette's center column is closer to pure Hues, whereas Classic seems to have added gray to those colors. They're not lighter or darker than Saturated colors, though they are muted.

Shade: A Hue with black added to it. These would be the dark colors in the Storm pack, as well as the colors of Saturated to the left of the center. When you add black to a Hue, it will get darker and will be less saturated. For the most part, black has a more intense effect than white does. It is much easier to pick out the color saturated with white than to pick out the color when saturated with an equal amount of black. For the most part, black is black whether it's got blue or white or yellow or green in it. Now, that can make a difference when picking colors, but for the purposes of painting and such you'll want to remember that a little black goes a long way.

-Note that white and black "go with everything" because in theory the Hue is still there. When black is paired with red and yellow as in CelsiusPrime's Volt, it pairs because technically that "black" is actually blue saturated almost entirely with black. This is why a "gunmetal gray" or a more bluish-black would still pair well with the frame. If one were to change a section on my Trinity to black, the colors would still pair because in theory that section is still Red, Orange or Yellow. The difference is that the section is now much more heavily saturated with black than it was before. The color scheme is still an Analogue, or alternatively, could be a triad if the black section was originally. The distinction doesn't matter too much, in either case the colors "work".

Alternatively, here's an artist's blog post which can tell you a lot more about color theory than I can:
http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2008/07/colour-schemes-split-complementaries.html

And finally, if you really can't be bothered with any of that, you can always try "Randomize colors". It's a great way to get an idea of what your frame could look like, and the system seems to make use of many of the concepts I've been talking about. I think it prioritizes complements, triads and analogues when picking colors, and it will draw from all your available colors when doing so. For this reason, I think it's best used if you have the Alpha color pack, as many of the seasonal color packs as possible, and possibly even the Beta color pack. That variety will help the system come up with better sets of color for your Warframe. That said, it is a cold, unfeeling machine. You're probably going to want to hit that button a billion times until you get something vaguely close to what you want, then fiddle with the exact colors yourself. You can also fiddle around a bit more with the Color Scheme Designer TacticalTree posted, dragging the black dots to change the Hue Degrees, and dragging the white dots to adjust the Angle Degrees. It's pretty much impossible to go wrong if you use that tool. Not to say that there is a right and wrong, but generally speaking you'll find more aesthetically pleasing color schemes this way.

Ooh, I actually like yours better, CelsiusPrime. The slight gold tint works a lot better than pure white.

That's another thing I'd like to share with the thread. The trick to a great color scheme is NOT using the brightest colors. The instinct is to create the greatest possible contrast, such as the white/neon color or black/neon color combinations. Many times, a more subdued selection of colors can produce a better-looking result.

Take CelsiusPrime's as an example. He doesn't use the purest jet black, the most saturated dark red, nor does he use pure white. The gold and black sections pair well together, the gold and burgundy sections pair well together, and the black and burgundy sections pair well together. That's what you want in a color scheme. The sections don't have to match, but you want colors that complement each other. The color wheel that TacticalTree posted is a good resource to make use of. Black and white can take the place of pretty much any color in your Triad, or it can be used along with a Dyad. Triads are great for Warframe customization, as there are generally three main sections to each Warframe. Most frames and weapons won't make use of four colors, but you may want to look at Tetrads and decide on three of the colors to use. You won't get the colors from the color wheel exactly, because those are shown without black, white or gray added. Look at the box to the right for some examples of what adding white, black or gray to the selection could look like.

In fact, you can find CelsiusPrime's color scheme on the wheel right now. Go to http://colorschemedesigner.com/ and follow the directions in the spoiler:

-Now set the color picker to Triad. It'll make a little triangle.

-Place the black dot in the direction of the word "Cold". You should get Hue 208 degrees or so, and the white dots should fall on gold and red.

-The Gold or Yellow, with some gray and white added, becomes the gold used on his Volt.

-The Red, with some black and/or gray added, becomes the burgundy seen on his Volt.

-Black takes the place of the blue in his Triad, with some white added so that it's not jet black. If you had a dark gunmetal color, that would also work well. Some of the bluish-gray storm colors would also work in this spot.

funny. my only goal when coloring my volt was to only use the storm color palette. and I found this colors in a different order at first but after moving them around and adjusting saturation and brightness and things, rested on this as the final version. So I guess that was a bunch of accidental color theory on my part, but your explanation of color theory was really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Here's a simple look that anyone can try out for Holloween.

Though shade seems to pull it off better than the frames. :P

Standard free colors + Holloween pack.

Only Flesh&Blood

hTQqaGB.jpg

Edited by pawala

Here's my Ember, haven't put that much time on her but it looks nice in-game. Colors are from Ice and Fire, though the only thing from fire is the slightly yellowish white, and can easily be replaced with another white:

Embercoloring.png

Also hoping I get the tas right, as I haven't used them yet in this forum :S

where is the "gold" color? I dont seem to really find it in any pack ;(

The best "gold" colors I can come up with are rows 11 and 12 of the Classic and Saturated packs. They're the two rows just below Yellow.

For the best results, I would generally recommend Saturated over Classic, and my favorite is Row 11, Column 3. That's the "Gold" I use in all of my color sets. Fire has a great selection of warm colors, though you won't find much of a tan. You'd get a good yellow-gold. Storm has more of a tan color, but you won't quite get anything with enough yellow or enough saturation to be considered Gold.

Regardless of what you consider to be "gold", keep three things in mind:

1) The colors you place around your chosen "gold" will affect the way it looks. You can manipulate this to your advantage, though it may also work against you. Many players use white or black alongside Tan in order to emphasize the saturation of the hue. In layman's terms, tan is a color with a bit of gray added to it already, so the best way to make it stand out is to place something with way more white or black in it, so that the tan has more hue by comparison. I do this on my "Noble" set. I use Saturated 11,3 alongside a deep purple (It has some black/gray in it) and a pure white in order to bring out the "gold" trim. This is helped by the fact that the tan I use is something of a "warm" color, while the purple is a "cool" color. On Banshee the trim really stands out when you place the gold on the purple for extra contrast.

2) The segment of the weapon/frame you place the color on has an effect on how the color actually comes out. Take the Braton for example. Placing the same gold on both the primary and secondary sections results in two sections that still look different. The stock and foregrip are always going to be darker, because the material you're coloring is inherently dark. Pieces of Dera have a washed-out look as well. Remember this, and be prepared to fiddle around with your colors and/or settle for it not being perfect for everything. Many of my frames and weapons have similar color selections, though few have the exact same setup. If I placed the same colors in Primary, Secondary, etc. there are many items and frames that would look completely different and would no longer fit the theme.

3) You're probably never going to be able to find a perfect match for Prime Gold. The golden sections of Prime weapons and frames are produced by a color and a material working together. No other colorable sections of any of the frames/guns have that same metallic quality to them (as of this post). We also may not have the exact hue used in Prime Gold available in our color schemes. It's unlikely we'd know it, even if we did have it, because as I mentioned before we don't have a metallic section to play around with. I get frustrated every time I try to play around with Excalibur Prime, because what looks exactly like the golden sections from one angle looks completely different from another angle. Using the color manipulation trick with tan on a Prime frame is not recommended, because the true gold sections will shimmer and have an ever-so-slight difference from the tan from any given angle.

Edited by TheInfiniteDoom