Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet another Host Migration related post

Neuerwinter

This is not a feedback or anything, I m just genuinely wondering after all the time I played this game if we'll ever get rid of this plague. In the 2-3 hours of play I invest weekly I always get to deal with a peruvian host playing on a dial-up connection and his old crappy laptop sporting a floppy disk, or just the general c#nt who host migrates you right before extraction, or being permanently stuck in the spaceships loading screen, you name it. Don't get me wrong, people can play what they want with what they have for all I care, but since there's no option that allows you to always be the host nor the ping limiter we already have does jack sh#t about it, which people host becomes also your problem.

I also recently watched the tennocon where they showcased Railjack/Empyrean, and from what I've seen you can figure out where DE wanted to go. they want the new space-roaming system to integrate and interact with the old instances one, rather than the isolated mode of archwing missions we have now. They also want it to synergize in a way that the squads cooperate together in a great war effort that makes you feel much more immersed in the whole tenno shabang than the leaderboards we have now in the periodic events, where you just check some numbers that goes up and some bar that fills in the general progress of the players. This isn't great, this is totally AMAZING. But on a peer 2 peer connection? Oh hell Host migration has never felt more threatening. I still remember the pain that was just the gate in PoE.

Now then, we already have a game in which P2P and dedicated server coexist, and honestly I would prefer to pay for the game and play on a solid server connection than relying on the hosting of other users and hoping to have luck in the RNG of wonky connections, but I'm not so stoic on my opinion and i'd like to hear yours about the matter, food for thought

• Like 2

Yh, I'm also wondering how hosting/migrations are going to affect this mission type.   So many people seem to have utter crap internet, and, even with great internet you can still sometimes find yourself kicked back to loading screen with no warning.

I really hope de do some extensive play testing (they do play test stuff right?) with people using crap internet instead of internal dev testing to make sure there are as few issues as possible.

I don't want to always have to go to recruiting and set up pre made squads in order to play this.

2 минуты назад, (XB1)Cubic Clem сказал:

Fully agree. No matter how shiney the next update is, it's always a sign for me to play it solo (mind you, open worlds are an awful experience solo) because I can't stand the host migration nonsense anymore. It's just insulting at this point that those issues aren't even mentioned in a devstream, it's just swept under the rug, as if nothing is going on.

When I saw railjack I saw the incoming host migration debacle and it was so horrible to think about. 

And yes, setting ping limits doesn't work properly, currently I'm starting missions and abort as soon as someone else is hosting. (Though, from time to time I try and endure it, risking everything I worked for)

In my opinion the P2P system is holding the game back and always reminds it it's running on early 2000's tech.. just imagine how we could enjoy completely seamless gameplay with servers, how it would improve stuff like open worlds and railjack, by players coming and going how they wish, with no interruptions..

It's just a dream at this point.

In general, I think it would be possible not only to play with 4 players, but with even more.

22 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

It's just insulting at this point that those issues aren't even mentioned in a devstream, it's just swept under the rug, as if nothing is going on.

Yes, pretty much it. I too had high hopes they would address the matter at Tennocon, expecially with what they are going to release. yet they play it as the matter never existed to begin with, as if this old core problem isn't going to affect the new expansion at all. there have been millions of posts like this in the long history of Warframe, and from what I've seen so far it has never been officially recognized by DE, only by the usual fanatics who chant the mantra "Hurr muh indie gaming studio can't afford servers"

as a fellow consumer which regularly supported the studio with some platinum purchases here and there, I feel kind of fooled at this point. I have been orbiting around this game for 3 years now, as an "oldish" player I look more forward to some fresh QOL changes being brought along the new big updates, but their standard answer to this is always "Hey son, dont worry about that. Here's the new shiny stuff, which will be riddled with the old same bugs, BUT HEY you can buy more deluxe skin and prime trinkets too!" 

23 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

In my opinion the P2P system is holding the game back and always reminds it it's running on early 2000's tech.. just imagine how we could enjoy completely seamless gameplay with servers, how it would improve stuff like open worlds and railjack, by players coming and going how they wish, with no interruptions..

It's just a dream at this point.

Also this, I'm sure that is what is bottlenecking the entire potential of the game, the new expansion included.

2 минуты назад, (XB1)Thy Divinity сказал:

Peer-to-Peer.

Right now, we operate at the mercy of the connection of one player in a lobby.  Basically, if we had actual servers instead of one player hosting, there would be no Host Migration. 

Why is it even needed? Why, after the departure of the host, the whole command often leaves? Why can't he just leave without the mission loading?

2 minutes ago, Exqualater said:

Why is it even needed? Why, after the departure of the host, the whole command often leaves? Why can't he just leave without the mission loading?

Because his connection is hosting the lobby.  Therefore when the host leaves, the connection must migrate to another player to find a suitable host (Host Migration).  Too often, however, this process fails and drops the lobby completely.  This game desperately needs servers, and should be top priority for DE, though I highly doubt it is.

2 минуты назад, (XB1)Thy Divinity сказал:

Because his connection is hosting the lobby.  Therefore when the host leaves, the connection must migrate to another player to find a suitable host (Host Migration).  Too often, however, this process fails and drops the lobby completely.  This game desperately needs servers, and should be top priority for DE, though I highly doubt it is.

I was told that the WF does not have its own servers