Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

1 hour ago, (PSN)abbacephas said:

Also, can someone explain to me the difference between dinner and supper?

It's complicated...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper

Over here, in viking-land, supper/dinner is still 'aftensmad'.

Hávamál 33.
A man should take always his meals betimes
unless he visit a friend,
or he sits and mopes, and half famished seems,
and can ask or answer nought.

2 hours ago, (PSN)abbacephas said:

Also, can someone explain to me the difference between dinner and supper?

Pretty sure supper refers to only meals at home, while dinner is both.

1 hour ago, Yrkul said:

Hey @DeMonkey . Long time no see. How's the tail hanging?

Life has changed considerably, for the better. 

I'm still as grumpy as I used to be of course, some things will never change, but yeah, life is good for me. Hope everyone here is doing well too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Life has changed considerably, for the better. 

I'm still as grumpy as I used to be of course, some things will never change, but yeah, life is good for me. Hope everyone here is doing well too.

That is good to hear.

I'm slowly getting used to retirement. Hands are getting a bit worse, but eh... Part of getting old. As long as I can still hold a brush, a knife or a kettlebell, I can make do.

Luckily I have plenty of hobbies and routines, so I'm not going to fall apart in front of the TV. Inactivity is one of the big killers of retirees after all.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

That is good to hear.

I'm slowly getting used to retirement. Hands are getting a bit worse, but eh... Part of getting old. As long as I can still hold a brush, a knife or a kettlebell, I can make do.

Luckily I have plenty of hobbies and routines, so I'm not going to fall apart in front of the TV. Inactivity is one of the big killers of retirees after all.

Tell me about it. I'm still a young man by most accounts but arthritis has set in on my leg these past few years.

Glad to hear you're not inactive though, personally I'm looking forward to falling apart in front a TV.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Tell me about it. I'm still a young man by most accounts but arthritis has set in on my leg these past few years.

Glad to hear you're not inactive though, personally I'm looking forward to falling apart in front a TV.

Arty has no regard for youth, I'm afraid. I got it in my hands in my twenties. Managed to stave it off for a long while with exercise and diet, but it catches up to you sooner or later.

CBD products seem to help (provided it is legal in your area), as does a good quality tiger balm. I tried a NSAID based cream, but as with all NSAID products, I wound up with headaches and stomach pain using it.

Still monitoring the status of orthokine and stemcell therapy, and my doctor is looking into it as well, after I pointed out the procedures (neither is standard treatment in Denmark yet, so...).

I miss martial arts.

6 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Arty has no regard for youth, I'm afraid. I got it in my hands in my twenties. Managed to stave it off for a long while with exercise and diet, but it catches up to you sooner or later.

I caved and just bought myself a fold up cane that I bring with me to work. Tends to only be an issue towards the end of a shift or if the weather is particularly bad.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

I caved and just bought myself a fold up cane that I bring with me to work. Tends to only be an issue towards the end of a shift or if the weather is particularly bad.

Every little bit helps. I had a cane lying around for bad days, since the knee operation in my late teens. Then in my fourties it got so bad, that I needed to use it more and more often.

Be mindful, that taking weight off the leg tends to lead to back problems.

12 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Every little bit helps. I had a cane lying around for bad days, since the knee operation in my late teens. Then in my fourties it got so bad, that I needed to use it more and more often.

I learned the hard way that favoring a leg can cause more than just back problems - I had issues with a weakening of my pelvic floor due to compensating for my old right knee injury for so long.  

PT suuuuuucks so much but I'm not randomly getting pain in my lower abdomen & hip so bad that it makes me, someone with a huge pain tolerance, cry out when it hits. 

Take care of your bodies y'all, it's the only one you get.  

12 hours ago, Yrkul said:

I relied on it too much in the past and it had a noticeable impact on the rest of me yeah. Much more cautious about it nowadays. Anyway work is a 7 minute walk away, and my place is small enough that I don't think I could fall over even if I wanted to without hitting something on the way down.

Physical exercise does indeed help, and I also live... rather compact. And if I remember correctly, so do Mag. So it is good to find some techniques, you don't need a lot of space for. I even have a couple of exercises I can do, when my back keeps me bedridden.

I picked up Solitary Fitness by Charles Bronson, on staying fit in solitary confinement. A lot of 'bro-science', but if you use it for supplementary inspiration, rather than a stand-alone manual, it is worth the shelf space. Besides, it is the only training manual, I know of, that centers around training in a small cell. 😆

cover.1622406000.jpg

1 hour ago, Yrkul said:

Physical exercise does indeed help, and I also live... rather compact. And if I remember correctly, so do Mag. So it is good to find some techniques, you don't need a lot of space for. I even have a couple of exercises I can do, when my back keeps me bedridden.

I picked up Solitary Fitness by Charles Bronson, on staying fit in solitary confinement. A lot of 'bro-science', but if you use it for supplementary inspiration, rather than a stand-alone manual, it is worth the shelf space. Besides, it is the only training manual, I know of, that centers around training in a small cell. 😆

I have weights I've used on occasion. But with regards to shelf space. I have none. I have 2 bookcases rammed with books, and virtually every other square inch of the place is filled with board games. My weird cupboard is board games. The weird oversized bookcase I have is board games. The top of my desk is board games. In the event of an earth quake I will be crushed to death by board games.

• Like 1

The tiny house is going to have floor to ceiling shelves as well as loft storage/bedroom.  This trailer is bigger than all of my previous places in the last decade, excluding my 2 bedroom house. 

Facebook reels also showed me a neat trick for doubling up on shelf usability; elastic strips on the bottom of the shelf that holds the books while the top of the shelf can be used for more books!  I'm also moving towards a projector instead of a television set up.  It'll use more power but a small projector on a white sheet or on the side of the tiny saves a lot of space. 

I also stumbled across an interesting storage unit; 3 standing shelves on wheels that are stored in a cabinet.  The top half of the outer panels can be designed to fold down for counter space on either side.  Pre-ordering one limits the dimensions but it's a pretty simple design to replicate & change to fit my needs.  

Spoiler

No description available.

That's just the image I have saved, not the design I'm using.  But It's what I'm going to put my craft supplies in & a second unit will be my kitchen pantry & storage for appliances. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

I have weights I've used on occasion. But with regards to shelf space. I have none. I have 2 bookcases rammed with books, and virtually every other square inch of the place is filled with board games. My weird cupboard is board games. The weird oversized bookcase I have is board games. The top of my desk is board games. In the event of an earth quake I will be crushed to death by board games.

Ok... Sooo I guess you like board games?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I also stumbled across an interesting storage unit; 3 standing shelves on wheels that are stored in a cabinet.  The top half of the outer panels can be designed to fold down for counter space on either side.  Pre-ordering one limits the dimensions but it's a pretty simple design to replicate & change to fit my needs.  

Hide contents

No description available.

That's just the image I have saved, not the design I'm using.  But It's what I'm going to put my craft supplies in & a second unit will be my kitchen pantry & storage for appliances. 

Yep. I've been looking at those for years. Prices are a little prohibitive from what I've looked at, and I'd want one sitting on rails instead of wheels, since wheels would tend to bunch up the carpet.

SMS-52-I9520-3-2.jpg?v-cache=1687095182

pull_out_3_bookshelf_1664501401_460cad57

Maybe once I get another place...

37 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Ok... Sooo I guess you like board games?

Just a little bit. Found the Divinity Original Sin board game + miniature expansions at a convention a few weeks for a mere £170.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Divinity Original Sin board game + miniature expansions

Ok. That looks interesting. And the minis look nice.

I've been considering Kingdom Death for a while, but it's so bloody expensive and hard to acquire. It's a bit of an expansion hell as well, but..... the minis are gorgeous. And the monster designs themselves are fantastic!

I should probably finish an army or two before piling too much more on my pile of shame.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Ok. That looks interesting. And the minis look nice.

I've been considering Kingdom Death for a while, but it's so bloody expensive and hard to acquire. It's a bit of an expansion hell as well, but..... the minis are gorgeous. And the monster designs themselves are fantastic!

I should probably finish an army or two before piling too much more on my pile of shame.

Oh wow, not heard of this one. 8.5 rating is good, the $1000+ copies make it seem a bit unfeasible though, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

I do like my miniature games. I've pre-ordered the 2nd edition of Gloomhaven with miniature expansion. That has... So many minis, original is just cardboard standees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

I do like my miniature games. I've pre-ordered the 2nd edition of Gloomhaven with miniature expansion. That has... So many minis, original is just cardboard standees.

Those are really nice too.

I'm still painting Blood Angels for my Horus Heresy army, and in true ADHD style I'm currently building a M113 APC in 1:35 as well, to see how well it translates to Warhammer 40K. 1:48 seem to work with "normal" size minis, and 1:35 fits well with primaris space marine sizes. Even hatches are close to the size on GW kits.

Good thing I don't have a 3D printer, or there would be no end to things that needs painting (as if there's an end at the time of writing).

4 hours ago, Yrkul said:

Those are really nice too.

I'm still painting Blood Angels for my Horus Heresy army, and in true ADHD style I'm currently building a M113 APC in 1:35 as well, to see how well it translates to Warhammer 40K. 1:48 seem to work with "normal" size minis, and 1:35 fits well with primaris space marine sizes. Even hatches are close to the size on GW kits.

Good thing I don't have a 3D printer, or there would be no end to things that needs painting (as if there's an end at the time of writing).

I haven't collected Warhammer in years. I was very surprised when I went in to buy paints to see all the Tau are white now, and the yellow/brown ones were "over a decade old" or something like that. Never actually played a game of Warhammer for that matter either even with what I did collect.

Not worth getting into for me personally, couldn't justify the cost with everything else I have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

I haven't collected Warhammer in years. I was very surprised when I went in to buy paints to see all the Tau are white now, and the yellow/brown ones were "over a decade old" or something like that. Never actually played a game of Warhammer for that matter either even with what I did collect.

Not worth getting into for me personally, couldn't justify the cost with everything else I have.

40K is at a questionable state right now, anyway, which is why I'm trying out 30K right now. I'm also looking at other miniatures games, like Infinity and Star Wars Legion, as well as some miniature agnostic games.

I plan on painting my Tau strikeforce a digital desert camo, once I get around to it... Some day.

I'm very tempted to print out some of the monster pictures from Kingdom Death, and use them for my pen & paper RPG GM'ing. Got plenty of my own designs, but additional resources are always welcome.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

I'm also looking at other miniatures games, like Infinity and Star Wars Legion, as well as some miniature agnostic games.

I've got The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms and Marvel Crisis Protocol which looks pretty similar. That's fun, but coming up with enjoyable scenery is not my forte, even with the bits I've bought. I see plenty of Star Wars Legion packs when I'm holidaying, but with how tight money is that might just be something I look at. Star Wars Shatterpoint looks pretty cool as well. 

As far as I can tell Legion is big tabletop battles, whilst Shatterpoint is smaller objective based battles with less (or no) restrictions on who can team up, which is definitely preferable to me.