Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

DE adds something to the game, then finds out it is way, way, WAY too good, and everyone is using it and having fun...

/surprisedpikachuface

We've seen this pattern over and over and over. My main gripes are still that:

1: DE doesn't learn from these mistakes.

2: They are obviously not testing whatever they're shovelling out to us.

The design process has for many years been "Just launch, watch, patch", and it has become worse with the new guard. It seems more and more, that the winning formula of old was more of a lucky coincidence, than design choices, and they're running out of good ideas.

I'm more and more finding myself playing the old content. Most of the new stuff becomes stale really quickly.

Oh, and hi Mag. Good to see you again.

Had an interesting discussion with a friend of mine concerning the integrity (or lack thereof) of academia today. And later I found this:

Of course, this isn't new. I wrote a couple of critical papers on subfields and their questionable theoretical foundations around a decade ago, and managed to get high grades on a subject type that either leads to high marks or crash and burn (no censor enjoys being told their favorite subject and bread & butter is built on a bundle of fallacies and intellectual bankruptcy. And what do you know... I got away with it. Twice). So it's well established, that some people don't deserve the descriptor of 'academic', let alone get paid for pretending to do research. Eric Weinstein has also raged against the masses of pseudo-academics parasitizing on the stagnation of certain fields of science. And there's also Boghossians critical research on... certain fields of "science".

So, where am I going with this?

Well, Sabine is pointing out, that a career alternative is the democratization of academia. That research is being published on everything from YouYube to Substack, superseeding the usual process of peer review and editorialization. This does have implications, since you don't get the same quality control as you traditionally would with established procedures, but when everything from reiterations to fallacious research get through, one could argue, that the current evaluation methodology has become obsolete, or at least non-functional.

Then, where do we go from here? I've used references to researcher's blogs before, since I've known them as scientists, and have been able to evaluate their self-published work, but without the foreknowledge and tools of assessment, the usage of these types of publication runs the risk of dissemination of mis- and disinformation. So an actual democratization of academia risks the undermining of the foundation of scientific research, as the very sources we build our own research on too easily can get corrupted without a strict verification process.

Too bad this process in a lot of academia seems to be infected with greed and incompetence...

Are we f-cked?

3 hours ago, Yrkul said:

To die for the Emperor?

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

I brought a shovel.

No sorry, it's for something more important than that.

It's pretty dangerous too so I'll have to put it in a spoiler box to contain it.

Proceed at your own peril

Spoiler

I gathered you all here to look at a picture of my cat.

ZM5Efgs.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeaHands said:

No sorry, it's for something more important than that.

It's pretty dangerous too so I'll have to put it in a spoiler box to contain it.

Proceed at your own peril

Hide contents

I gathered you all here to look at a picture of my cat.

ZM5Efgs.jpeg

...are you sure you want to start this?

Because I will join.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TeaHands said:

D'aawwww I love me some Oreo kitties. Mine is more cookie than creme.

Spoiler

PpCWJTO.jpeg

This is my little Mag MacMaggin.  I was given her when my sister felt Tank the Cat was lonely.

Spoiler

No photo description available.

• Like 2

On 2024-04-04 at 8:53 PM, MagPrime said:

Just the usual, new players who haven't dealt experienced a new Warframe release receiving it's obligatory nerf within the month.   There are a lot of memes going around the FB groups rn making fun of the situation. 

We were all new once.

Remember my cat I had? Xeno? Whose masculinity (AKA Balls) got removed?

UZoWwrY.png

Him VS my aunt's dogs. Arrow, the Foxhound, is deadly afraid of him, if he is on the way he wont try to pass, he will only cry. Pandora is... oddly enamored with him, always asking for him to play with her, she tries to smell him, lick him, even laid down with her belly up while looking at him. He swats her away.

And I woke up today to this:

WIdpUT7.png

On top of my notebook.

• Like 1

Finally...

norska1.jpg

The complete icelandic sagas in the best translation to date, and a high quality binding, that allows the books to stay open on the table/lectern etc. Checked the benchmark passage in Egils Saga, and not only is the reason for Harald Haar%&^er's name there, but original name and annotation are included as well.

Worth every danish crown it cost.

2 hours ago, DropbearNinja said:

Doing well. Back to puttering about in the game again. A lot has changed.

Quite a bit has changed.  Since cross save was implemented, I've been able to play my PC account on the Switch.  I moved last March and my PC was down for while before that.  

With how  often I have desktop problems, I think I should just give them up for gaming lol 

3 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Quite a bit has changed.  Since cross save was implemented, I've been able to play my PC account on the Switch.  I moved last March and my PC was down for while before that.  

With how  often I have desktop problems, I think I should just give them up for gaming lol 

Maybe save up enough dosh to buy a better desktop? ;)

7 minutes ago, DropbearNinja said:

Maybe save up enough dosh to buy a better desktop? ;)

Too logical.  I better buy one of each console instead.

Joking aside, the desktop has this uncanny ability to have some hardware issue not long before I change jobs or go on unemployment, preventing an upgrade in a timely manner.

32 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Too logical.  I better buy one of each console instead.

Joking aside, the desktop has this uncanny ability to have some hardware issue not long before I change jobs or go on unemployment, preventing an upgrade in a timely manner.

Then I might recommend getting a desktop from Dell. They have decent customer support and warranties. I am still using the XPS I got in 2012. The only problem I had with that was a dying HDD, but that happened after I already bought a SSD to replace it (but before I could image it 😝).

My newest PC is an AW R15 with all the trimmings. 

Edited by DropbearNinja

8 minutes ago, DropbearNinja said:

Then I might recommend getting a desktop from Dell. They have decent customer support and warranties. I am still using the XPS I got in 2012. The only problem I had with that was a dying HDD, but that happened after I already bought a SSD to replace it (but before I could image it 😝).

My newest PC is an AW R15 with all the trimmings. 

I built my PC.  Most recently, it decided it was a doorstop and couldn't find it's boot drive.  Before that, power unit, before that, graphics card, etc.