Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban rework thoughts

NuclearCoffeePot

I've already made two ideas on this subject and upon further though I've come up with a mix of the two with some tweaks that i believe would be good for Vauban.

These ideas come from vaubans theme as a tactical,combat engineer.

For his passive I would have it so that Vaubans abilities and weapons alike will deal bonus damage to enemies affected by cc or status effects

His 1st ability would now be "Overload", which charges your weapon with electric damage and increases the fire rate- if the weapon already has electric damage it will also increase the status chance of the weapon. Its augment would let the electricity arc to several enemies when it procs

Vaubans bastille would be moved to his two and youll see why when I talk about his next ability

augment-enemy fire from outside bastilles range cannot enter inside it.

Vaubans three is now a sort of detonator- an ability that when activated would proc an instance of mixed damage(to be effective against shields and armor) within vaubans vicinity and within the entire radius of bastille- This helps him make up for his previous lack of damage that makes him irrelivent in the current meta of nukers.

augment- the pulse restores ally shields and grants them temporary status immunity

Vaubans 4 is now the ability to choose between 3 augmentations for his frame-

Titan augmentation- Increases vaubans armor and shields while summoning to drones- these drones periodically release pulses like guardian eximi that restores ally shields and armor while reducing status effects- available at first rank

Blitz augment-Increases vaubans movement speed and provides him with a forward facing projectile shield- in addition summonss two drones that shock the nearest enemies before attacking like any other osprey- available at rank 2

Tactical augment-Grants vauban complete invisibility while moving at a slow(crouch/jog) speed but while sprinting or bullet jumping he will only be invisible to enemies over 18 meters away- no matter his invisibility mode enemies beyond 18 meters ov vauban will not be able to hear his gunfire, their allies gunfire, or their allies screams

Hope you like the concept- If you have any constructive criticism please leave them in the comments

This suggestion seems like it leaves Vauban basically as irrelevant as he is now. In some cases, my issue might be the lack of stats provided, it is hard to judge damage boosting skills when no stats are provided.

1. This ability just seems pointless. 
  2. The augment for Bastille is not a good idea. You can spam them and cover a whole room. This could completely prevent enemy fire.
  3. Seems mediocre. But it’s hard to tell without stats. I am not sure if it really makes up for the lack of damage. Having a damage ability is not the same as being able to nuke.
  4. I would rather keep the current Fourth. I see very little value in restoring shields. The other two options are marginally better, but I do think Vortex is a better ability.
Edited by krc473

I conviced that Vauban 3 & 4 shoud not really change a lot. His rework should be focused on his 1 which is actually too weak for any usage and his 2. Your idea for his 1st ability anyway I would say that could be great. Then the main issue I have with actual Vauban and his second ability it's that you never really have the time to setup this and so that's unefficient. One of the concepts I like the most for that was turning traps into grenades with a better AoE and maybe one of these could deal some damages based on enemy total health etc.

I think you are changing too much what Vauban is. That's why I do not really agree with your concept.

22 minutes ago, krc473 said:

This suggestion seems like it leaves Vauban basically as irrelevant as he is now. In some cases, my issue might be the lack of stats provided, it is hard to judge damage boosting skills when no stats are provided.

1. This ability just seems pointless. 
  2. The augment for Bastille is not a good idea. You can spam them and cover a whole room. This could completely prevent enemy fire.
  3. Seems mediocre. But it’s hard to tell without stats. I am not sure if it really makes up for the lack of damage. Having a damage ability is not the same as being able to nuke.
  4. I would rather keep the current Fourth. I see very little value in restoring shields. The other two options are marginally better, but I do think Vortex is a better ability.

Thank you for your criticism- I did not leave in exact stats(mty bad) but for 1 and 3 please consider this- his passive increases the damage he deals to enemies effected by status and cc effects so once his electricity from his one procs it's damage increases to the target and with its augment it can deal additional damage to large crowds- it does seem mediocre but take into account its a first ability- as for his 3 it triggers in the entire radius of his bastille so if the range is improved for bastille it can kill at least all trash mobs inside it while stripping any heavy enemies of their shields and armor(that was the intent, my apologies for the poor wording)- You are correct with the bastille ability however this can be fixed by allowing only one to be active at a time- also it wont stop attacks from enemies already inside bastilles range that cant be picked up so spamming them wont particularly work and if you did spam them they would be picked up anyway and it wouldnt matter. I am aware that vortex is nice and I mainly picked the 4 because I liked the Idea and so many people have been clamoring to give him drones or turrets and I felt giving him the ability to choose augmentations for his teams situation fit with his theme better then vortex. However I see your point and I think keeping vortex could work just as well-It is kept in one of mny other vaubaan concepts so i propose to you the alternative version of a vauban rework.

1-a deployable mine- upon enemy proximity it actiates and drains shields and armor by percentage and adds it to its damage( which is triggered as an aoe)- thus allowing it to work even in higher levels as a descent source of damage and defense shred

2-stays bastille- only one can be active and it has an increased base range- in addition any other traps like 1 or vortex will recieve bonus range while in its vicinity-

3- the same detonation idea- deals damage inside the full radius of all his traps

4-vortex

This idea may be more to your liking-because the range of your other traps increases inside bastille vortex can suck up more enemies and the defense shredding trap can effect large groups- since the damage from the 3 will overlap for every trap having vortex and several mines inside bastilles radius will allow you to teal several instances of the threes damage even as enemies in that area have their defences removed by the traps-

Edited by NuclearCoffeePot

18 minutes ago, Rathalio said:

I conviced that Vauban 3 & 4 shoud not really change a lot. His rework should be focused on his 1 which is actually too weak for any usage and his 2. Your idea for his 1st ability anyway I would say that could be great. Then the main issue I have with actual Vauban and his second ability it's that you never really have the time to setup this and so that's unefficient. One of the concepts I like the most for that was turning traps into grenades with a better AoE and maybe one of these could deal some damages based on enemy total health etc.

I think you are changing too much what Vauban is. That's why I do not really agree with your concept.

I replied to krc473 with an alternative rework that i think you would also like, please look at it

12 minutes ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

2-stays bastille- only one can be active and it has an increased base range- in addition any other traps like 1 or vortex will recieve bonus range while in its vicinity-

So, remove his main CC? If you stuck “only one” as a sacrifice for using the augment maybe. But this really isn’t a sensible change to the base ability. This change will basically require a different third ability. There is very little use damaging enemies inside traps when they are so limited in number. You would get three traps, likely with some overlap. You are not going to get great coverage - perhaps that is the idea? But I thought the point in this was to help compensate for not being a nuke frame. This might be fine depending on the stats - if we want high range, we have to sacrifice damage. If the base stats are high enough, maybe we don’t need to increase range by as much (allows for higher strength).

The mine ability seems like an okay idea. But again, it depends on the stats.

15 minutes ago, NuclearCoffeePot said:

so many people have been clamoring to give him drones or turrets

Generally people think they want something, but we get it and it is terrible. A lot of suggestions about Vauban seem to limit him to be used primarily in defence style missions. The problem with that (I see it in your suggestions too) is that he is far less useful than other frames. CC will never match nuking, so this is to be expected. 

9 minutes ago, krc473 said:

So, remove his main CC? If you stuck “only one” as a sacrifice for using the augment maybe. But this really isn’t a sensible change to the base ability. This change will basically require a different third ability. There is very little use damaging enemies inside traps when they are so limited in number. You would get three traps, likely with some overlap. You are not going to get great coverage - perhaps that is the idea? But I thought the point in this was to help compensate for not being a nuke frame. This might be fine depending on the stats - if we want high range, we have to sacrifice damage. If the base stats are high enough, maybe we don’t need to increase range by as much (allows for higher strength).

The mine ability seems like an okay idea. But again, it depends on the stats.

Generally people think they want something, but we get it and it is terrible. A lot of suggestions about Vauban seem to limit him to be used primarily in defence style missions. The problem with that (I see it in your suggestions too) is that he is far less useful than other frames. CC will never match nuking, so this is to be expected. 

Yet again thank you for your feedback. You are clearly a caring member of the community and i would love if we could continue conversing on this topic and others like it. I myself have not made out precise numbers. I'm more of a concept buff then a stat nut and i would appreciate if you could assist me in determining the stat balance of this concept and others like it in future 🙂