Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rewarding active Dogdays play

Oreades

People are always going to find the path of least resistance and to some degree that's fine, laziness is often the wellspring of innovation. However sometimes it's just being lazy for the sake of it.

There have been a lot of threads trying to figure a way to tackle the issue of players simply not plating the event yet being rewarded in lockstep with those who where. I myself have noodled over methods to "encourage" the players not engaging in the event to actively engage in the event as well as take a bit of the edge off of said event. Tho modifications to the event if any are unlikely to come until the next time it cycles around. There have also been a lot of threads mulling over punishments for those who are shirking the event but punishments tend to feel counterproductive.

So the notion struck to acknowledge those who are playing the event in good faith with a reward for showing good sportsmanship as it where.

It would be a fairly strait forward implementation and wouldn't lock people (even those shirking it now) out of the potential MacGuffin.

The suggestion being a reward tied to a persistent average kill count for of Dogdays as a recurring event. Something very reasonable that one would have to be actively not playing to miss. Not to lock anyone out, since it is persistent it gives those who shirked the spirit of the event the ability to earn their way out of the hole that they decided to dig the first time around. Perhaps a minimum number of matches to aim it towards people who are actively after the event SWAG.  So play X matches with Y (again very reasonable**) average kill ratio and get thing.

As to what. eh I dunno my initial notion would be something whimsical, event related and fairly desirable..... so the water soaker as an actual weapon kinda struck me as a "Wow, yeah that!" but ultimately no clue, just a little somethin' snazzy for keeping with the spirit of the event. Cause it is pretty fun, I was playing just yesterday having a bit of a blast and heard the ending horn and thinking "Wow It's already been 5 minutes?". Tho on that same note I've been in a few games where people phoning it in and sitting on a tall rock pretty much the whole match have managed to sour the mood.

Anyhow just a notion.

**Because I'm sure someone will inevitably say "Well what constitutes "reasonable"?", If I was to guess I'd say somewhere around a 10 kill average. Which breaks down to ~2kills per minute, even with overly aggressive teammates  and a fair bit of kill stealing, it's pretty hard to not get 10 kills in 5 minutes unless you're trying not to play. However any threshold would ultimately be up to DE.

A way to encourage people to participate properly would be to have some total score mission bonus tier.

• 1-50 kills = 50 pearls
  • 51-100 kills = 75 pearls
  • 101-150 kills = 100 pearls
  • 151-200 kills = 150 pearls
  • 201-250 kills = 200 pearls

Also punishing the afk idling method of no-reward at all sounds good, it's incredible how many players are just joinging, securing the score, then going into a spot where enemy can't reach them and afk 4minutes.

Personnally I keep farming it because ... The Captura is tradable. So it will get value someday.

47 minutes ago, Oreades said:

-Snip-

I think the real solution would be make Pearls be awarded for Kills, that way the lazy players who idle wont earn pearls to buy the event stuff.

Also, [DE] needs to add an endless mode with scaling rewards.

20 minutes ago, Etzu said:
  • 1-50 kills = 50 pearls
  • 51-100 kills = 75 pearls
  • 101-150 kills = 100 pearls
  • 151-200 kills = 150 pearls
  • 201-250 kills = 200 pearls

Personal kills or overall team score?
Its hard enough obtaining 20+ personal kills on the tier 4 missions.

7 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

I think the real solution would be make Pearls be awarded for Kills, that way the lazy players who idle wont earn pearls to buy the event stuff.

Also, [DE] needs to add an endless mode with scaling rewards.

The problem with pearls for kills is now you're fighting your own team and it becomes a toxic quagmire. 

Endless maybe, cuts back on the loading times but scaling rewards, nah. That just encourages unhealthy play because players are going to feel obligated to sit in protracted missions to maximize their reward. As it stands now they can play endlessly however there is no penalty for stopping at any time to take healthy play breaks. 

33 minutes ago, Oreades said:

The problem with pearls for kills is now you're fighting your own team and it becomes a toxic quagmire. 

And the issue with team score based rewards is that then there's still no reason for active gameplay since afk players would benefit from the rest of the squad regardless unless at least some anti afk system that makes 0:0 scored count as defeat, denies rewards to inactive players and makes the timer stop running if the game is paused or in the background is implemented.

I think a fair compromise would be making executioners drop pearls according to the mission (1 for the first 2 missions and 2 pearls for missions 3 and 4) so if a kill gets "stolen" the rest of the squad can still get the drop and players have to actively pick them up to get better rewards, and since players have to actively search for pearls there would be no reason to not soak some executioners as well and contribute to the team.

Imo, they could even go all in with the event thing and make pearls have a 100% drop chance on kill, but it would require a reduction of the end of mission reward since every singe squad i've been has gotten over 100 kills despite afk the afk farmers and low level players who struggle with aiming and parkour.

to me, they just need an "assisted kill count" that will reward a pearl as well, it shouldnt matter if you landed 1 shot or 20, so long you contributed to killing an enemy you should get a pearl when it dies. the reason i say this is because enemies are fast enough, and die fast enough to make it more of a "lets try and kill the most enemies possible by any way we can" as opposed to just "im gonna try and steal as many kills as i can or else someone will end up stealling a kill from me".