Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A modular weapon that you actually care about

klejoq

So i had this idea. Instead of having multiple combinations of 3 parts as a modular weapon like zaws and kitguns, what if we had one main frame for the weapon and just switched out parts progressively throughout the campain on our next open world, or whenever modular rifles are to be implemented. This would kinda make the modular weapons more personal, create a bond with the player and invent some kind of a longer relation than just mastery fodder or one single weapon being overused due to it's superiority. You would step by step unlock upgrades to your rifle, both functional and cosmetic, where at the end there wouldn't be just one best outcome but many different ones, depending on what path you chose with your gun upgrades. On top of that no matter what path you choose, you get all the mastery points avalible, so that you dont have to start over with a different build and loose the sense of relation with the weapon.

20 minutes ago, klejoq said:

This would kinda make the modular weapons more personal, create a bond with the player and invent some kind of a longer relation than just mastery fodder or one single weapon being overused due to it's superiority.

People are gonna have differing opinions, but several of my modular weapons are personal. I made them, crafted them with certain frames/setups in mind, named them and use them a lot. Sure, some get tossed by the wayside, but I'm not expecting to form a personal attachment to every Zaw/Kitgun I craft, just like I don't do this with every weapon I obtain.

If your concern is there's a lack of personal connection to custom weapons in some players, and this is due to "some are fodder, some are superior", I think it's safe to say that those players aren't likely to form personal attachments to weapons anyway, customizable or not. Meta-minded players will just go for the best statistical option and not make it personal, and if they do form that connection it's precisely because of that statistical strength. I don't think swappable parts would even make much of a difference in this case, because meta players would just find the best setup and never swap out the parts.

• Like 2

i don't see how that's any different than it is now, other than that it would mean you only have to add extra Polarities once. which would never happen, Forma purchases are too convenient of a business model. 

but as for the actual Weapon, it would be the same as it is currently. 99% of Players opt for __ because someone told them it's the best so that's what they do.
the 1% that actually knows what they're doing are already doing whatever they want with Lego Weapons as it is.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 1