Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host Migration Solution

Veritan21

For the TLDR crowd:

DE should measure how often you leave early, give you a "host score", and the person least likely to leave is assigned as the host.

Everyone else:

I've had so many problems with people leaving early, even to the point where it consumes relics but doesn't give me the item, due to hosts leaving and causing a host migration. I'm not suggesting that DE try to force people to stay in mission, but I think they could definitely mitigate the problems. Right now, it appears that the host is mostly determined by the first request to play a mission that the server receives. I'm sure there are technical reasons why this is being done, but I think it could be improved.

My suggestion would be to have the local client keep track of how often you abort missions, leave before other people in the squad, what your ping is, etc. The client then calculates a "host score". Then when the server is putting together public parties, the person who is least likely to leave early (i.e. has the best host score) is assigned as the host. A person starting a mission in public mode could be put on "hold" for a few seconds while the server gathers other players and assigns the host before loading the mission. This shouldn't cause a major performance issue since the server only needs to request the pre-calculated host score, and it also doesn't penalize players since it's just picking the person least likely to leave. I completely understand how people can run into issues such as disconnecting, real-life issues forcing them to leave early, etc. The whole point would be to simply make the most educated guess on who would be the least likely to cause a host migration problem.

I rarely (though not always) leave a mission early, yet I don't seem to be the host very often. This is almost certainly because I'm not the first person requesting a mission start, which is fine, but it would be nice if at some point during the initial party formation, I could end up being the designated host so that my party is more likely to avoid a host migration. I'm sure that DE is aware of this issue, I just thought I'd share one possible solution.

Any thoughts, changes, additional suggestions, something I missed?

What makes you think they don't already take that into account?  Deciding who should be host involves a lot more then who's most likely to stay.  Make host migrations favor someone who tends to stay - but has a terrible connection - over someone who stays less but has a good connection, and you'll end up making disconnects more common as people disconnect from terrible hosts.

Thanks for responding. You'll notice that I already addressed your concerns

23 minutes ago, Veritan21 said:

I'm sure there are technical reasons why this is being done, but I think it could be improved.

I'm aware that DE has probably looked into this. My point was not to say that they hadn't, but to say that here is a possible area of improvement. If they've already ruled it out due to some reason I'm unaware of, so be it. But if not, maybe this will inspire some potential improvement.

25 minutes ago, Veritan21 said:

My suggestion would be to have the local client keep track of how often you abort missions, leave before other people in the squad, what your ping is, etc.

I'm well aware that someone who stays in mission but has a bad connection would also be an issue (I've run into that several times). The point would be to look at everything holistically, one aspect of which would most definitely be connection quality. The "host score" would factor all these in according to whatever algorithm they would decide to use and determine (as best as possible) an ideal host. I'm under no delusion that this would be a silver bullet and would magically solve everything, but I do think that overall, it would be an improvement.

17 hours ago, Veritan21 said:

For the TLDR crowd:

DE should measure how often you leave early, give you a "host score", and the person least likely to leave is assigned as the host.

Everyone else:

I've had so many problems with people leaving early, even to the point where it consumes relics but doesn't give me the item, due to hosts leaving and causing a host migration. I'm not suggesting that DE try to force people to stay in mission, but I think they could definitely mitigate the problems. Right now, it appears that the host is mostly determined by the first request to play a mission that the server receives. I'm sure there are technical reasons why this is being done, but I think it could be improved.

My suggestion would be to have the local client keep track of how often you abort missions, leave before other people in the squad, what your ping is, etc. The client then calculates a "host score". Then when the server is putting together public parties, the person who is least likely to leave early (i.e. has the best host score) is assigned as the host. A person starting a mission in public mode could be put on "hold" for a few seconds while the server gathers other players and assigns the host before loading the mission. This shouldn't cause a major performance issue since the server only needs to request the pre-calculated host score, and it also doesn't penalize players since it's just picking the person least likely to leave. I completely understand how people can run into issues such as disconnecting, real-life issues forcing them to leave early, etc. The whole point would be to simply make the most educated guess on who would be the least likely to cause a host migration problem.

I rarely (though not always) leave a mission early, yet I don't seem to be the host very often. This is almost certainly because I'm not the first person requesting a mission start, which is fine, but it would be nice if at some point during the initial party formation, I could end up being the designated host so that my party is more likely to avoid a host migration. I'm sure that DE is aware of this issue, I just thought I'd share one possible solution.

there is a big problem with this

ping: who will be the one benefiting from this?
people in my country will have 30ping connecting to me but people from another country will have 170+ping connecting to my country and vise versa.

the best solution is they should just make a matchmaking menu with host/client options
you bring up a menu when you click a node for a mission and it shows you the ping to each person hosting, if they are higher than you would like, you host your own.

they are just avoiding implementing features that would increase player satisfaction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

you bring up a menu when you click a node for a mission and it shows you the ping to each person hosting, if they are higher than you would like, you host your own.

you can already select the ping limit in options.

what they should do is fix the host migration bugs (enemy spawns, returned orbitor fail, reward not given, wrong rewards, buffs not working, etc etc)

1 hour ago, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

what they should do is fix the host migration bugs (enemy spawns, returned orbitor fail, reward not given, wrong rewards, buffs not working, etc etc)

like pretty much everything.. that ping option does not work like it should.
lowest is 100, highest is 400 or no limit...
i have had lag when set to 100 because it might be 100 at the start, but with multiple connections to the host and content, its not 100 anymore, its more like 900, then everyone plays the catch-up game, which puts more load on the host.

anyone that knows even a little bit about networking, should know its not a set and forget option, especially when it involves online play.

i now just have it set to 150 and leave it at that, if the game lags, i leave, if other people lag when im host, they leave.

i dont understand why it is so damn hard to just put a menu on the nodes to fix this CONSTANT problem

On 2019-09-09 at 11:20 AM, (XB1)Tucker D Dawg said:

Ping limit only accounts for static ping.  It doesn't account for hosts with great connections, but running on potato batteries that spike to 1000ms+ as soon as there are more than 3 entities on the screen.

On 2019-09-08 at 2:49 PM, Veritan21 said:

For the TLDR crowd:

Everyone else:

Well, it's hard to pause the game due to hard shutoffs. (Power-outage, alt-f4, etc). In theory it'd be nice to have such an option to slow down the game and pause as is done with relics during survival. But not possible.

A thought just hit me. If host migration occurs, restart the current wave/timer? I mean, it sucks you lose progress, but it's better than failing completely as is the case in some instances?

On 2019-09-09 at 11:07 AM, 5p33dy_01 said:

there is a big problem with this

ping: who will be the one benefiting from this?
people in my country will have 30ping connecting to me but people from another country will have 170+ping connecting to my country and vise versa.

the best solution is they should just make a matchmaking menu with host/client options

they are just avoiding implementing features that would increase player satisfaction.

i jsut wanna say for some of us, users who dont know S#&$ about PING that this sounds like non-sense, and to keep it simply all these disconnections really S#&$ty and drain the fun out of warframe, to match that also other problems and hacks i ran into my guns firing automatically so i switched to semi type of weapons to advoid any accidents,

SO PLEASE CAN WE USE SOME PLAIN ENGLISH