The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maiming Strike Nerf

Nephalem

Question

22 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I highly doubt you can call the Maiming Strike nerf a failure just because you can still steal all the kills from an MR0 by using an Atterax. This is a world where Maimquinox still exists, so obviously that wasn't their end goal.

Their end goal almost certainly WAS to kill our ability to do endless missions. They have to pick their poison between watching us survive 2 hours in Arbitrations and watching their next big content update succeed: DE is about to release Plains of Duvuri and Railjack, and from both a game design perspective and a business perspective their ability to succeed is GREATLY diminished if players just use the same dominant strategy of Maiming Body Rush Overload

An analogy I used a couple weeks ago was Starcraft circa 2016. The original Zerg Rush (build 8 to 10 Zerglings in less than three minutes and win the game in less than five) was an obvious power outlier in the early meta, and Blizzard had to nerf the hell out of it. The only way the meta was going to flourish was to nerf Zerglings -- which didn't happen in isolation, several Zerg units were BUFFED in that same patch (much like in WF right now). While it's comparing PvP to PvE, a similar situation is going on here: DE feel they can't make a good update revolving around the previous power structure

i still wonder why they would think us, surviving hours of endless run, though. though i don't what their exact play with named releases are (i didn't pay much attention in most of the last streams), i doubt they can prevent us from still doing so - they just made it more of an annoyance to us, thus pushing the players into other 'meta' corners (e.g. nukers). if they just intended to level the field between melee weapons and range weapons, they more or less did that now... sadly more in making melee more weaker in the total (with some exception though) but forgetting to 'fix' the original problem and root for the 'need' of an op-arsenal: the bad scaling of enemies, especially the armor factor. if DE is taht much against player doing extra-long endless runs, they should just remove them all along instead of beating around the bush, spoiling our fun when doing them - at least i felt it as fun maim-cheesing through level 200++ grineer, cutting down a drove of them in one swing... hacking on an enemy (or better said, one with a dozend and more waiting for their turn) for 10 seconds and more surely isn't my kind of fun.

your analogy to starcraft is indeed tricky - where in a pvp game it really kills the game if there is one (or more) specific way of winning against other players, in a pve it's only 'mildly' annoying to ones coop player... if at all. though i get the dilema devs witness and know from many other games that trying to solve them often leads to new problems (and mountains of salt too ^^)

well, the new 'change' is still 'work in progress' and DE might still tweek the system a bit to make up for the loss of power - increasing the x12 cap-limit would be a good start, for example, since it would not really interfere with the new heavy attacks (which, even though i like the idea of, i don't really see much use for in normal gameplay) and will make the melee damage output a bit more like it was... after some time, ofc (like the 'old' 3.5 , 4 or more in the combo counter also took a few minutes to reach).

Developers, being people, sometimes change their minds. Once upon a time, when emotes were still in development, Geoff said they wouldn't be adding dances; fast forward a few years to Octavia's Anthem and suddenly there's dances. Is Geoff a liar? No; the game changed over time, and DE reconsidered their stance. That's what happens in a persistent game that's in constant development.

Pretty much anybody who's played with or around a Maiming Strike build knew it had to change someday. It was only ever a question of when.

On 2019-11-02 at 6:10 PM, Nephalem said:

Keep in mind i have a riven with 128% slide and 95,6% Cd with a  5.6x crit mult.

That seems to be the problem. They nerfed, maiming strike from 90 flat to 150 multi, but they did not change roll range on rivens for slide %crit.

They still have the same amount of slide crit as before melee 3.0.

The whole melee damage system is turned around to the point that slide attack is not always efficient anymore, neither does keeping excessive combo counter. But melee has become the most reliable mean to fight high levels, not with a strike to the heart but a million cuts about. 😎