Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PROJECT: OVERDRIVE

Fractyr

oNEdoCd.jpg

WHAT IS OVERDRIVE?

Overdrive is a 10 second buff which doubles attack speed, applies combo counter to all melee damage (not just heavy attacks), and allows the combo counter to uncap and scale.

The combo counter will freeze after Overdrive ends and will only be allowed to resume accumulation on the next activation of Overdrive.

WHAT IS THE OBJECTIVE BEHIND OVERDRIVE?

Bringing back scaling melee. Enough said.

CAN THE EFFECTS OF OVERDRIVE BE MODIFIED?

Yes. The duration and strength of Overdrive can be modified from mods and riven rolls only.

YHnRRUw.pngzyKyz0T.pngtgz7e5I.png  

HOW DO YOU ACTIVATE OVERDRIVE?

Overdrive can be activated with one method and one method only.

When a player reaches the maximum combo limit (12x), every single hit from the melee weapon will count towards an Overdrive meter. Once the meter is filled, Overdrive is immediately activated.

The amount of hits required to fill the Overdrive meter is proportional to the total attack speed of the weapon, ensuring all weapons of all builds can activate Overdrive at relatively the same rate. Multiple hits from a single attack all count towards the Overdrive meter allowing accelerated gameplay against large hordes of enemies.

The meter can only fill after the 12x combo multiplier when Overdrive is inactive.

Total weapon attack speed factors in all modifiers to attack speed from mods, warframe buffs, arcanes, and everything else.

gzzgSRI.pngcFZLoHH.pngUVZU7Hz.png 

The formula relating Overdrive meter hits and total weapon attack speed is shown below:

O = Overdrive meter hits needed

T = Total weapon attack speed

O = 100T

(All numbers and values used above are conceptual and arbitrary and is still in development. Please feel free to comment any suggested changes down below.)

Edited by Fractyr

oNEdoCd.jpg

WHAT IS OVERDRIVE?

Overdrive is a 10 second buff which doubles attack speed, applies combo counter to all melee damage (not just heavy attacks), and allows the combo counter to uncap and scale.

The combo counter will freeze after Overdrive ends and will only be allowed to resume accumulation on the next activation of Overdrive.

oq63YrC.png0dFpUBt.png

WHAT IS THE OBJECTIVE BEHIND OVERDRIVE?

Bringing back scaling melee. Enough said.

CAN THE EFFECTS OF OVERDRIVE BE MODIFIED?

Yes. The duration and strength of Overdrive can be modified from mods and riven rolls only.

YHnRRUw.pngzyKyz0T.pngtgz7e5I.png  

HOW DO YOU ACTIVATE OVERDRIVE?

Overdrive can be activated with one method and one method only.

When a player reaches the maximum combo limit (12x), every single hit from the melee weapon will count towards an Overdrive meter. Once the meter is filled, Overdrive is immediately activated.

WlKJC47.png

The amount of hits required to fill the Overdrive meter is proportional to the total attack speed of the weapon, ensuring all weapons of all builds can activate Overdrive at relatively the same rate. Multiple hits from a single attack all count towards the Overdrive meter allowing accelerated gameplay against large hordes of enemies.

The meter can only fill after the 12x combo multiplier when Overdrive is inactive.

Total weapon attack speed factors in all modifiers to attack speed from mods, warframe buffs, arcanes, and everything else.

gzzgSRI.pngcFZLoHH.pngUVZU7Hz.png 

The formula relating Overdrive meter hits and total weapon attack speed is shown below:

O = Overdrive meter hits needed

T = Total weapon attack speed

O = 100T

(All numbers and values used above are conceptual and arbitrary and is still in development. Please feel free to comment any suggested changes down below.)

• Like 1

Why does it have to only buff melee? Can't it buff the warframe and everything in inbetween? Aside from that, I don't need more attack speed or damage or crits. I want more range. Make it so we can customize our own Overdrive system talior to own personal needs rather than a generic blanket for the average setup. Think arbitration bonuses. How does 300% ability strength help Neckros? Or Loki?

16 hours ago, (PS4)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

nah i'm good. we're starting to make a framework to properly balance all damage types now we dont' ned to purposefully unbalance it again just so we can feel good one shotting the 600s again.

The damage wont be unbalanced. Everything you see above only describes the conceptualized situational event after the 12x combo multiplier is reached which takes a long time to build up to and almost everyone spams heavy attack now. There will be the option to either expend combo for heavy attacks or keep them for overdrive so it brings more variety into the melee scene. Heavy attacks are for everyday mission usage and overdrive is specifically tailored towards prolonged scaling missions. Everything has its place. 

5 hours ago, (PS4)jaggerwanderer said:

Why does it have to only buff melee? Can't it buff the warframe and everything in inbetween? Aside from that, I don't need more attack speed or damage or crits. I want more range. Make it so we can customize our own Overdrive system talior to own personal needs rather than a generic blanket for the average setup. Think arbitration bonuses. How does 300% ability strength help Neckros? Or Loki?

Ranged weapons can pump out constant DPS that undoubtedly overshadows non-heavy attacks from melee weapons and you might argue that the heavy attack justifies that weakness but you have to remember it resets the combo counter and its just one singular swing after building up the combo counter for a couple minutes which doesn't even do that much damage. Overdrive is heavily biased towards crit melee since status got buffed but crit mechanics in general received a hard nerf and everyone knows that crit melee builds cannot even handle just a level 100 heavy gunner anymore but guns can. The objective of Overdrive is to enable melee to reprise the role of "the scaling weapon" so therefore wanting more range than damage is a different issue entirely since even the weakest weapon with enough range can easily trivialize your everyday mission. Also, range is often prioritized in speedrunning or just everyday short missions in general and the topic of this thread isn't about that.

7 minutes ago, ValkyrThicc said:

I think we should wait till de releases phase 3 before suggesting new stuff but in order to scale it must centre around the combo counter uncapping

I actually thought of this way back before de announced any of the melee changes but back then melee was at its peak and built towards scaling.

• Like 1

My take on this 'Overdrive' system of yours is that I can build for crit melee then use Overdrive to supplement range or status. Or have a status melee then switch Overdrive to do crit instead. Not just being able to do one single thing but being able to fill in the weakness of certain builds. Hell, I would rather just make it so squishy frames get high damage reduction for a period of time.