The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Low CPU/GPU usage = Low FPS

Gpblack123

So, getting straight to the point, i'll post 2 screenshots of my MSI Afterburner overlay, then my configs in-game.

unknown.png Hydron (there were severe drops to 40fps or so)

unknown.png Orbiter

Both of the screenshots were taken with these exact same configs

unknown.png?width=787&height=442 unknown.png?width=787&height=442

My Laptop config is:
GeForce MX 150 2GB

i5-8250u

8GB of DDR4 RAM

Windows 10

My power plan is set all the way to max performance, both in windows and nvidia control panel, no thermal throttling is happening, and the laptop is plugged in.

I need help ;-;

If any more information is needed, i'll post ASAP

Edited by Gpblack123

I'm having big issues of the same nature, what i have found to be the issue is CPU bottleneck, although you are only using 68% of your total CPU you will be maxing out on 2 of your cores (warframe is mainly single core). Try turning up your graphics to shift the load over to GPU, this should see your GPU usage go up and with it your FPS.

It's silly, i'm actually having to resort to turning on DSR and going 4k on a 1080 monitor, with max graphics, to utilise my graphics card because i i have a ryzen CPU, and not Intel. They seriously need to optimise the game for multi threading.

It suddenly got a little better since yesterday, I'll try your solution and see if it works. Also, they REALLY need to optimize the game for multi-thread, and it seems like it's using too much RAM over time as well, I started the game using 4-5gb and without opening anything else, it's now sitting at 6.7gb after 3 hours

I am guessing its server performance. I have been having this issue for awhile as well, so its also a coding problem. Whats interesing is that at times during none open world missions the fps drops in accordance with more chaos. I have noticed that disabling vertical sync does restore alot of fps and increase gpu/cpu utilization, however it tears hard too. I believe this is a issue with the vertical sync coding.Screenshot_661.png

7 hours ago, Matheoryon said:

I am guessing its server performance. I have been having this issue for awhile as well, so its also a coding problem. Whats interesing is that at times during none open world missions the fps drops in accordance with more chaos. I have noticed that disabling vertical sync does restore alot of fps and increase gpu/cpu utilization, however it tears hard too. I believe this is a issue with the vertical sync coding.Screenshot_661.png

It’s not server related as the issue remains even when solo. The frames dropping when things get chaotic (lots of enemy’s spawning/ability spam) can either be that your gpu can’t handle it, in this case you can turn down fx such as particle effects which will help, however if it is CPU restriction there is nothing you can do, it will happen the same whether you have the graphics on max or low. I actually get worse performance on lower strangely.

On 2019-12-31 at 3:29 AM, Dawg said:

It’s not server related as the issue remains even when solo. The frames dropping when things get chaotic (lots of enemy’s spawning/ability spam) can either be that your gpu can’t handle it, in this case you can turn down fx such as particle effects which will help, however if it is CPU restriction there is nothing you can do, it will happen the same whether you have the graphics on max or low. I actually get worse performance on lower strangely.

Lower? Ya thats a coding issue for sure. I have made a number of post showing that going from minimum graphics to maximum doesnt add to the fps. The only thing that seems to is lowering resolution, which would me then that this is a vram coding inefficiency. Warframe is good and well coded, but going past 60fps is a little shaky. If you have g sync, then disable vertical sync in game as that willl raise it for sure. The v sync in game was better some months ago, but seems to not be any more.

On 2019-12-30 at 7:34 AM, Gpblack123 said:

So, getting straight to the point, i'll post 2 screenshots of my MSI Afterburner overlay, then my configs in-game.

unknown.png Hydron (there were severe drops to 40fps or so)

unknown.png Orbiter

The orbiter is not a good point of reference since it's basically the equivalent of rendering a plain cube... which is to say, there is little in the way of underlying game logic to hinder the renderer.

That said, in instances where you have high enemy counts and a full squad dealing AOE and damage over time (like hydron), framerates do take a noticeable hit. This isn't really a case of bad coding... maybe not so awesome design (at a stretch)? 

Bad coding would be coding your enemy AI to tell the game that it's not affected by X frames status effect. In this case, even if the frame isn't even present, or standing on the other side of the map, the AI still merrily processes itself telling the game its not affected (every single frame update). As far as i recall, every frame, DE find each AI and process them relative to what is affecting them. Warframe has a lot going on in each frame, and the more procs, status effects, and powers you stack on each AI, the longer it takes to process (Keep in mind, not all the effects are done from your perspective. You get powers like spore, and resonance which are also cast from enemies and stack again)  This saying nothing of the fact that you also need to sync this work across a network to other players who are doing the exact same thing.

What you'll notice with other games solutions to these problems is that they either just don't bother and let the AI be dumb (Frostbite engine) or you get into really MMO'y things where you basically take turns hitting each other.

On 2019-12-30 at 8:34 AM, Dawg said:

I'm having big issues of the same nature, what i have found to be the issue is CPU bottleneck, although you are only using 68% of your total CPU you will be maxing out on 2 of your cores (warframe is mainly single core). Try turning up your graphics to shift the load over to GPU, this should see your GPU usage go up and with it your FPS.

That's not awesome advice since that's not how that works. Making a gpu go from 50% to 88% (for example) does not mean that it's taken work from the CPU. If you run tasks on the GPU it's because you can't inherently run them on the CPU in a quick enough fashion.

In this case, all you've done is change the render resolution, which is an entirely GPU dependent operation - which is to say, the CPU has no impact on the outcome.

It's silly, i'm actually having to resort to turning on DSR and going 4k on a 1080 monitor, with max graphics, to utilise my graphics card because i i have a ryzen CPU, and not Intel. They seriously need to optimise the game for multi threading.

This is an often times severely misunderstood term. In most cases, this usually refers to the renderer. You typically only run one AI threads because you run the risk of things going bad in a bad way. Most games run a single main AI thread, in addition to the other 'main' threads.

You can break up jobs for the renderer because it doesn't care too much for how it's given work. This makes threading relatively easy.

Draw :

1) "character A at (x1,y1,z1)" 

2) "character B at (x2,y2,z2)"

this is an entirely interchangeable order. you can go [1,2] or [2,1] and there is no real issue.

Game logic tends to not be so easily broken up: 

1) a + b = c

2) c + b = d

you can't solve 2 without first solving 1.

If you 'thread' this then 2 will give you an output you weren't expecting (Read as: You get bugs) as 2 was not updated by 1.

Edited by MillbrookWest

Am 29.12.2019 um 19:34 schrieb Gpblack123:

GeForce MX 150 2GB

i5-8250u

8GB of DDR4 RAM

Windows 10

My power plan is set all the way to max performance, both in windows and nvidia control panel, no thermal throttling is happening, and the laptop is plugged in.

I need help ;-;

If any more information is needed, i'll post ASAP

MX 150 2GB = half a the performance of a desktop gtx 1030 and a 15w cpu

50ish% cpu usage

the game has some issue with hyperthreading / is not using hyperthreading very well / has no use for hyperthreading

the cpu is the bottleneck. 

On 2020-01-04 at 4:49 AM, Injected_Pie said:

MX 150 2GB = half a the performance of a desktop gtx 1030

GPU benchmark websites only shows Gt 1030 at about 1.03 times faster then MX 150, only tiny speed differences.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-MX150-0-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/m332822vsm283726
The wikipedia shows GT 1030 and MX150 mostly the same specs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_10_series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_10_series_2

On 2019-12-29 at 12:34 PM, Gpblack123 said:

Hydron (there were severe drops to 40fps or so)

This problem is likely poor FPS in 4 player activity like Hydron Defense, my FPS drops down to about 55 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor on Ryzen 2400g, 4 cores 8 threads. CPU limited, Warframe do not use all CPU threads, only 1 or 2 threads are maxed out, giving the appearance of 30% or 40% CPU usage. Doesn't matter if I use fast AMD RX 580 or slower NVidia GT 1030 2GB GDDR5, FPS drops are mostly the same because of CPU limited.

Am 7.1.2020 um 04:28 schrieb sam686:

yep my bad i confused the 1030 with the 1050

the cpu will still be the bottleneck