Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Biology Topic "if We Can Slice It, We Can Study It"

kimahn

So ! we had this discussion a lot of times on the council chat, on forums, even over a drink :

are we insects ? humans ? jelly ? does the grinneers have souls ? if yes, can we burn it ? can i eat an infested kabob without getting sick ?

lets discuss it. please dont use the word bullS#&$, this is the internet, fighting is pointless. ans yes, this is pure theory and you dont need to justify, just throw it :p

i ll start on the topic : TENNOS HAVE EYES ??!:§§

i ll say yes. at the start atleast, before the whole orokin project, we were basic humans. the first frames were develloped (not hayden, but he is special :p ) by using engineering, prosthesis, biomechanical components, dna mutations, and more.

that s how i see a tenno under his helmet :

DSC_0190.jpg

1) an optical sensor, extracted from a reptile creature, itself genetically modified to grow thousands of eyes ( yes, a beholder crocodile. without tentacles. a big head with an atrophied body and no tentacles) if i was half as mad as i really am, i would put them all over the armor, and link the to a pre-processing brain implanted in the skull of the tenno (throught artificial nerves). picture it like bee's faceted eyes, who could give a spherical view of the tenno surroundings

2) other sensors like radiation, proximity, material detector, chemicals etc ... directly plugged into the brain

3) apparently Tennos need oxygen. well, this is where i ll put nostrils, filters and anything who could facilitate the oxygen absorbtion

4) this is where i'll put a massive artificial eardrum, and an organ who could isolate sounds and magnify them

5-6) brain modifications. i ll probably cut any emotion-generating zones outside of empathy, love and primitive instinct related ones, i would add an auxiliary brain made for pure data processing, who analyze what the senses collects, plus the data streamed by the lotus, plus the Tenno Code, a compact set of rules and directives, much more like an Art of War but without the philosophy

the main brain would be used for motion, emotions, power usage, warframe/tenno maintenance, and metaphisical data

the other sketch is a grineer slice :

a) carbon based shell, able to stop most of the bullets and or rays and transmit the force in the second layer without being damaged

b) an organic material who can totally absorb the cinetic forces  of the bullets, the heat of detonite based weapons etc ...

into raw energy, mostly used to fuel the shields of the body  armor

c) most of the grinners are clones. the first generations were cloned into huge modified goats, then the system has been modified to adopt a less energy-comsuming method but who causes mental illnesses due to the abscence of organic feedback during the growth.

the first generations of grineers are recognisable throught their horizontal pupil and their propensity to use brutal direct assault

d) unlike the tennos who pushed their evolution farther, using an gmo technology used since the beginning of times on earth, the grinneers chose to use silicon based technology, and heavy mechanical body modifications

their sensors are linked throught the skull and fused on the optical nerve, the bones of the most advanced unit are totally redesigned and often engraved with the glyph of the fist "mother" on the lineage

--- that is all for now, trying to translate everything i imagine makes me dizzy :p ---

Uhhhhh idk about all that, haha. Pretty sure we're just humans wearing a suit of armor.

Just like Hayden Tenno was.

Image_for_Warframe_Wiki_Hayden_Tenno_War

I'm not sure about having all sorts of wires and crap plugged into us. Having our optic nerve stretched out of our eye socket as your picture suggest.. I figure would be very painful...

Maybe I don't want to be a tenno after all, if this were true that is.

Edited by KingKeif

Uhhhhh idk about all that, haha. Pretty sure we're just humans wearing a suit of armor.

Just like Hayden Tenno was.

Image_for_Warframe_Wiki_Hayden_Tenno_War

I'm not sure about having all sorts of wires and crap plugged into us. Having our optic nerve stretched out of our eye socket as your picture suggest.. I figure would be very painful...

Maybe I don't want to be a tenno after all, if this were true that is.

hmm i finished dark sector a looong time ago, but from what i remember, he was infected, his brain was hurting like a motherf. he started to become totally mad, and the suit was a symbiotic / fleshy thing, imagine what 2000 years of engineering an the orokins have done :p

for the nerve stretch thing, imagine the helmet like a facehugger merged to your skin, a cute little facehugger who want to protect you :p

Edited by kimahn

Well I myself think Tennos are all humans, like Corpus and (wait for it...) Pre-En-Masse Cloning.

Let's dissect it a little more.

1. Grineer came from the Earth. In which, possibly, they're all human soldiers cloned to fight in the Great War, which THEN they rebelled and created their own empire.

2. Corpus are humans.

They were running away from the Earth and colonise themselves before the Great War.

3. Tenno are humans and, like Hayden, are all unwillingly infected with Technocyte and lucky enough to survive.

OR MAYBE!

They are humans who had genetically engineered with Technocyte Virus as a requirement to wear the Warframes, thus explained why there's no "Infected Tenno", and how they can use weapons like Mire with ease without the risk of getting infected.

Also, IIRC, Hayden's armor didn't come straight from Technocyte mutation, as far as I remember.

It's a normal suit of armor, which THEN infected by Technocyte along with Hayden, which also created the Useless-McFlying-Disk a.k.a Glaive.

Also, I nearly read "Technocyte" as "Tenno-site".

Heh...

I've tought all along that maybe we're not completely human, due to the fact of our awesome abilities (excal's super-jump not included), but, in other hand, we do have a fragmented memory, and the dudes in the cryopods have human shape. Maybe we're some war-machine created by the Orokin Civilzation, somewhat like Halo, but forgotten trough time. And even more, we belong to a civilzation that existed long-before the human one as we know it today, like, they had the atlantis in Earth to harvest human bodies and take them into outer space for genetical and biological improvement so that they can fight the infested, and the Lotus, we'll, I'd like to slice a little bit of that outfit... I've imagined that her entire body must be somewhat like a sexy bayonetta (which already is), or in the worst case scenario, she looks like the xenomorphs mother in the last Alien movie.

What has been bothering from a little while-back, is that, if the tenno are humans, when and how do they go to the toilet... Can they procreate?? Sometimes you can read info that the tenno are a society, but, how is that true when tennos hardly interact with each other. They only work following Lotus instructions.

To the eyes thingy that the OP posted, I think its a clever idea, I haven't tought it that way, but if you think about it, hostages, when released into freedom (please insert a breave heart meme or read it out loud like in the movie) they have something like really swag glasses, like, something Kanye West would wear in the near future.

EDIT: Gramatical dumbness corrected somewhat. Please understand I'm not a native english speaker.

Edited by Muitopedrinho

I've tought all along that maybe we're not completely human, due to the fact of our awesome abilities (excal's super-jump not included), but, in other hand, we do have a fragmented memory, and the dudes in the cryopods have human shape. Maybe we're some war-machine created by the Orokin Civilzation, somewhat like Halo, but forgotten trough time. And even more, we belong to a civilzation that existed long-before the human one as we know it today, like, they had the atlantis in Earth to harvest human bodies and take them into outer space for genetical and biological improvement so that they can fight the infested, and the Lotus, we'll, I'd like to slice a little bit of that outfit... I've imagined that her entire body must be somewhat like a sexy bayonetta (which already is), or in the worst case scenario, she looks like the xenomorphs mother in the last Alien movie.

What has been bothering from a little while-back, is that, if the tenno are humans, when and how do they go to the toilet... Can they procreate?? Sometimes you can read info that the tenno are a society, but, how is that true when tennos hardly interact with each other. They only work following Lotus instructions.

To the eyes thingy that the OP posted, I think its a clever idea, I haven't tought it that way, but if you think about it, hostages, when released into freedom (please insert a breave heart meme or read it out loud like in the movie) they have something like really swag glasses, like, something Kanye West would wear in the near future.

EDIT: Gramatical dumbness corrected somewhat. Please understand I'm not a native english speaker.

how do they go to the toilet? How about by removing their suit (AKA the warframe)

when do they interact? how about when you're not in a mission?

In my view, tenno are what we can call transhumans. in science fiction, specially cyberpunk sub-genre, a recurring theme is the attempt to move above human condition for various purposes, mainly survival and war. There, several ways to become transhuman. Cybernetics, gene therapy, mutations. Here, i imagine the t-cyte virus as a mutation path, but i don't see Tenno outside their suits as something too diferent from 21st century human, at least visually ( "The greatest spectacle to mankind is mankind itself" ) , but we can imagine bio-engineered organs to provide symbiotic relation with the warframes and DNA meddling if you want to imagine a t-cyte/ human hybrid.

We need to wait for more lore.

Nothing i've written in this reply is new.

For bio-negineered organs and symbiotic relation with armor, i read Warhammer 40,000.

For hybrids, i remember Alien 4. 2 hybrids in that movie, Ripley clone(human DNA dominant) and  white alien (alien DNA dominant)

Examples of cybernetics are too numerous. Take tour pick. But a good one is the game Deus Ex and its sequels. In "Human Revolution", cybernetics are too obvious, but in its predecessors, the future is nano-augmentation where a fully-modified human still looks like a normal human.

Edited by renleech

• 2 months later...

Found a video for a trailer of dark sector that better connects Dark sector to Warframe, it seems to support the theory that the tenno are in fact humans infected by the tecnocyte virus, as well as the fact that Hayden from dark sector was still around when the first grineers showed up.

As for my theory, i believe the tenno are human, and not engineered in anyway besides the suits (Warframes), it says that they were orokin sent into the void (probably in hopes of being infected and showing a similar set of characteristics to hayden), and that they built the warframes around them to channel their affliction (which i interpret as the set of abilities of each individual warframe), so i believe that each warframe in itself is not the souce of a tenno's power but more of a conduit for the abilities granted to the by the virus, and as the video shows there is a very high chance that there are normal looking people inside those suits which apparently are not permanently sealed on the tenno's body as to how they see, i believe it doesn't go as far as the sensors being surgically connected to the optical nerve i'm thinking more one the likes of a virtual interface (think iron man)

so tell me what you think and i hope this helps on your theories    

I am really astonished by the fact that not many people realized that tenno could not be like normal humans (they are humans though ijs :P) instead they have been mutated by the technocyte virus and it is possible that they are in fact Hayden Tenno's Clones (Grineers Have Clones aswell aiight?)

OR

Tennos Are Haydens Descendants who have his genes (and thus survived the virus) But have blue skin due to the accumulation of the Virus which was passed on over the Generations Considering His Descendants only Married each other. It is kinda like the accumulation of pesticides inside animals which gets stronger over the cycle.

And the fact Tennos are the Blue Humanoids inside the cyopods that we defend so much (Defense Missions? \o/)

Another Prove for the fact that Tennos ARE the blue Humanoids (Im Not Obsessed with Blue Tennos i Swear x.x) inside the cryopods is the fact that the Barracks has the same cryopods inside its glass (And We kinda sleep in them like vampires o:)

And the fact that the excalibur we are in the tutorial comes outta a cryopod that is similiar to the one in Orokin Def. (Just one though ... Not So Shiny w/e D:)

Edited by MrVoid

I am really astonished by the fact that not many people realized that tenno could not be like normal humans (they are humans though ijs :P) instead they have been mutated by the technocyte virus and it is possible that they are in fact Hayden Tenno's Clones (Grineers Have Clones aswell aiight?)

OR

Tennos Are Haydens Descendants who have his genes (and thus survived the virus) But have blue skin due to the accumulation of the Virus which was passed on over the Generations Considering His Descendants only Married each other. It is kinda like the accumulation of pesticides inside animals which gets stronger over the cycle.

And the fact Tennos are the Blue Humanoids inside the cyopods that we defend so much (Defense Missions? \o/)

Another Prove for the fact that Tennos ARE the blue Humanoids (Im Not Obsessed with Blue Tennos i Swear x.x) inside the cryopods is the fact that the Barracks has the same cryopods inside its glass (And We kinda sleep in them like vampires o:)

And the fact that the excalibur we are in the tutorial comes outta a cryopod that is similiar to the one in Orokin Def. (Just one though ... Not So Shiny w/e D:)

The tenno are actually hamsters, what you see in the cryopod is their base mech, without its cooler warframe shell equipped. 

• 6 months later...

It's been stated that Tenno are beings twisted by the Void, encased in powered armor and loosed upon the world. However, I like to think of it like this.

The Tenno themselves are humans that survived infection by the Technocyte virus and were banished to the Void. During their time there, the Void changed them and the strain of the virus they carry, warping it and them together. When the Orokin reclaimed them, they created the Frames, encased the pilots...then watched as the Technocyte ravaged flesh bonded with the advanced tech and made it something more.

Let's break it down a bit more.

We all know the Frames are equipped with personal energy shielding of some form. Where are the emitters? Where's the power plant that supplies the energy? If it's a form of exosuit (Think e-frames from the old cartoon ExoSquad) then why can I suffer bleeding damage? Puncture damage I get, as despite how well any armor is made, it will fail at one point, same with Impact damage, but if I'm encased in armor, WHY AM I FOUNTAINING BLOOD EVERYWHERE OH GODS MAKE IT STOP. Having the Frames being bonded with the pilot in some way (A subset of the original virus, subsumed by the host pilot and stored inside the skin while not in use) makes it a little easier to believe that I can take slash damage and spew buckets of my internal fluids all over the place.

Also, look at some of the different proportions on the Frames themselves. Take Nekros, for example. Longer arms, really wide, narrow shoulders, stick thin legs. Looking at that, I'm going "There's no way in hell anyone would fit comfortably inside this." So, what if the strain of Technocyte the Tenno are infected with allows them some control over mass distribution, letting them shift mass around to fit the Frame.

I don't believe the Tenno are gender shifting mutants. You have male and female tenno (as seen with Rescue and Defense missions) that are unique entities. They had their own quirks, hobbies, etc. Male Tenno pilot the male Frames, female Tenno pilot the female Frames. Simple as that.

How I view it, is each player is assigned two Tenno (one male, one female) which allows you to make use of both genders of Frame. (For the record, I think of all my male gender Frames being piloted by a quiet guy named Grave, and since I have no female Frames she doesn't have a name yet.) Depending on which Frame you pilot, your Tenno in question taps into that strain of sub-virus, and the quasi-organic Frame exudes from the dermis, coating the pilot like a second skin and keying their nervous systems to that Frame's powerset.

Granted, I'm eagerly awaiting any official Lore from DE, this game has become my newest personal magic candy supply and I find myself wasting considerable amounts of time running around and being a Space Ninja.

• 3 months later...

I always thought about warframe´s like the Tenno´s "second flesh".I believe some guy has a theory on that.

And it involves a theory about us being bassically...mouldable...

..and to me that seems disturbingly easy to believe,so Im sticking with that

Because come on,even "genetically modified" humans couldnt stick their heads in Loki´s helmet,aswell as Nekros´ legs...or Valk´s butt OwO

If the arbiters are Tenno it's safe to assume they can speak. Actually they sound the most human out of everyone. I couldn't hear any voice filters. Unless this is how they sound with the filters on...

Edited by Kethus

What do we actually know for a fact about what exactly a Tenno (and Warframes for that matter) are?

I want to base this off of facts from the game, be it dialog, textual lore, or anything in between.

What I can think of:

-Warframes are suits(?)(Kril: "You ever get hammered in that suit?" and "Does that second skin peel away as easily as the first?")

-Tenno are corrupted by the void (Excalibur's Codex entry)

I will add more as we discover it. 

Isn't there already a thread for this?

But I can think of another bit of clarification you can add: the player character Tenno does indeed switch between frames, rather than each frame being an individual Tenno (from the Limbo questline).

Isn't there already a thread for this?

But I can think of another bit of clarification you can add: the player character Tenno does indeed switch between frames, rather than each frame being an individual Tenno (from the Limbo questline).

Hm, I didn't look (probably should have) but I seem to remember one existing. I'll have a look around and if there is one ask for a merge.