The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnetic (when players are being affected) mechanic is terrible, unfun, very punishing and unbalanced. Here's a change to make it good

notNSANE

It's been heavily documented across -basically all games that use it- that a mechanic that heavily skews Mana Tension to the opposite of the players feels extremely bad. This is why it's avoided on all PVP games, because it's very unfun to just not being able to play the game. Another reason why Arcane Nullifier is actually used, but none of the other ones are. Magnetic is just very punishing compared to the rest, it's unbalanced.

So these are my proposed changes to Magnetic when affecting the player:

• Now it doesn't remove Energy - it Silences the player, preventing they from using any Ability during a set time - say, 3 seconds, adding 0.5s per extra tick.
  • HUD scramble is kept unmodified

That's it. Just replace the Energy removal and it will be a good game mechanic.

Edited by notNSANE
  • Like 4

huh ? 

that's the same effect......

6 minutes ago, notNSANE said:

it Silences the player, preventing they from using any Ability during a set time - say, 3 seconds

From the wiki...

Affected Tenno suffer additional effects: lose 250 Energy over the 4 second duration, or 50 Energy per tick (the initial starting tick also drains energy), and their HUDs will be disrupted.

12 minutes ago, SilverRook said:

huh ? 

that's the same effect......

From the wiki...

nah...his idea is FAR better as we dont get OUR energy drained from the proc...and then have to use pizzas or zenurik to get it all back

Since the Revised update, the proc lasts much longer. Unless you have access to a proc-cleanse ability such as Rolling Guard, it's now effectively back to its old "set energy to zero" mechanic for most frames, because they simply won't have enough capacity to offset the several ticks of 50 energy loss.

It's horrible and the fact the same proc is still mostly irrelevant on enemy units feels extra distasteful.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

If only we had an arcane that were to prevent 103% magnetic procs. 🤔

Therein lies the problem. I don't know which is worse, the fact that I can play a proc mitigating frame and have none of these problems, or that proc spam is now such teidum these days. If you play against high level infested, it's a constant barrage of ancients knockdown spamming you endlessly or proccing magnetic along with toxin being spewed everywhere. Play a status mitigator warframe and that's not a problem, then it's just you and a horde of enemies. And yeah, you say use an arcane, but is that really what we want? Just .. having to shuffle around stuff to avoid tedium?

Enemy procs have been in dire need of a rework for a few years now, I was hoping this latest meta shuffle would do something to them, but it's just even more of the same.

Meanwhile, I keep playing my status mitigator Warframes against the infested while remembering the good old days when Magnetic ancients scared the crap out of me.

Edited by Countess_Hapmuhr

For the most part I personally think mag procs are fine, with two exceptions:

1. I often fly through the doorways with the mag proc'ing thing just because I legitately was unable to see that the device was there until I had already bullet jumped.  Increased visibility of this would be nice IMO.
  2. Sometimes Corpus enemies spam mag procs, to where it feels like you're just always mag proc'd.  I think this happens particularly on Fortuna, with a high wanted level.  I feel like in this one context it's just too frequent.

Don't get me started on knockdown though...

Also, a pro tip: Arcane Healing is REALLY good for radiation hazard sorties and for Kuva liches (a toxin Kuva lich will rad proc you).