The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

and I also added that aiming and shooting would let you run straight.

Trying to imagine that, and it feels horribly clunky. There needs to be a way to better control the direction on the fly without interfering with the current ballgame. I do have one or two suggestions at hand, but that is going to be part of another topic I'm probably going to post next week or the week after that.

Ah, this thread. Seen it before. It has a lot of good points.

Nice work using Overgrowth as a parkour example, it has one of the best fluid parkour mechanics I've seen.

Ninja and Parkour was one of the selling points when I started player Warframe for over a year ago when it first hit Steam.

Sadly, both "Ninja" and "Parkour" has been removed from Warframe during the course of my time playing. 

When I first heard Space Ninja, I thought, "Tenchu: Stealth Assasins", in outer space? Sold! Sign me up! Stealth is deplorable in this game. It is more about taking out trash mobs with your number 4 ability and one shotting a heavy gunner with a red crit. Game balance is broken. I am not sure where to start. But I do really enjoy this game. Play style just feels limited.

Ah, this thread. Seen it before. It has a lot of good points.

Nice work using Overgrowth as a parkour example, it has one of the best fluid parkour mechanics I've seen.

Ninja and Parkour was one of the selling points when I started player Warframe for over a year ago when it first hit Steam.

Sadly, both "Ninja" and "Parkour" has been removed from Warframe during the course of my time playing. 

Truth be told, neither Ninja, nor Parkour have ever really been there in the game, except in the tagline (Ninja play Free) and in a very loose way.  I was hoping for improvements since I joined in late U8, but...

Truth be told, neither Ninja, nor Parkour have ever really been there in the game, except in the tagline (Ninja play Free) and in a very loose way.  I was hoping for improvements since I joined in late U8, but...

I actually used much more Parkour back then. There were actual shortcuts you could use if you could your parkour, rewarding to use and was fun. But DE eventually dumbed down the maps to the point where Parkour is unnecessary. 

Edited by HitPointPredator

This is even more important now that they removed infinite wallrunning.

That, and the wall-slinging glitch.

That's a good first step to improving our parkour system, but there's no denying that it is a bit of a harsh nerf to our mobility at the moment (although it is now more intuitive for sure). The sooner we can choose the direction of our wall jumps (horizontal and vertical), the better.

Edited by SortaRandom

It would be really wise if they focused on overhauling core game mechanics and take a break from just adding as much new content as humanly possible for each update.

Currently their design philosophy is a bit conflicted. Sure, they say that they're making an action game, but every time I play it feels like an action MMO.

Has the ninja-run feature from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance been mentioned yet? Because I really think this is what Warframe needs.

No no no no no no no.

I don't want an automatic parkour run system, that's bound to F*** you over at every turn that isn't a flat surface, because you'll have no control over the moves you are doing. What you want is a smooth transition between every move you do while you still retain control. Multi-contextual button presses are the bane of this. 

Edited by TwiceDead

http://img.pandawhale.com/74609-parkour-gif-I-must-go-my-peopl-hCk7.gif

when will we be able to do kong vaults? xD

http://i.imgur.com/wFlVktd.gif

and i would kill if we could move this smooth in the game.

if we moved so smooth in game, few of would be pleased while majority would copter all over it anyway. BUT HEY, COPTERING HAS TO STAY IN GAME IMMARITE DE? RIGHT STEVE?

Has the ninja-run feature from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance been mentioned yet? Because I really think this is what Warframe needs.

I mentioned it a couple of times as an example of good parkour. But sadly, I am a nobody, and nobody listens to a nobody.

Guest Tehnoobshow

I mentioned it a couple of times as an example of good parkour. But sadly, I am a nobody, and nobody listens to a nobody.

Do you want a hug?

Do you want a hug?

A hug would be appreciated ;_;

post video examples?

k.

2:55 -- 4:48 for parkour section

Notable things:

1. Consecutive hopping ------------------------------------------------------------------ 3:10

2. Fast ledge grabs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 3:15 - 3:19

3. Jump through a hole in the wall ------------------------------------------------------- 3:30

4. Didn't even need to ledgegrab, just jump that s*quack* -------------------------- 4:32

5. Hop on the enemy, leaving them confused ------------------------------------------ 5:14

8:45 -- 10:17 for parkour section

Ignore playing with real time cutting physics at beginning.

Notable things:

1. Table roll ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 8:57

2. Doesn't need to roll or do a pose, just bends his knees a little ------------- 9:48

3. Look at how quickly he jumps on the debris ------------------------------------ 9:53

4. Notice how fast he rolls compared to Tenno ------------------------------------ 9:53

5. Jumps through a narrow space ---------------------------------------------------- 9:54

6. Quickly goes into a slide, comes out of said slide just as quickly ------------ 9:59

7. Consecutive long jumps ------------------------------------------------------------ 10:09

Note: You know that giant frozen planet defense map? The one where the enemies spawn all the way at the other side of the map? There are these two bridges where no. 7 would be perfect for going across them.

Edited by Lukap99

-snip-

i'll give you that MGR: Revengeance has some animation types that Warframe could use to make the gameplay more fluid.

but, it has no Parkour. none at all. it looks like it, but it's prebaked contextuals. you can't do 'parkour' unless the map has triggerzones and Et Cetera setup for it.

which means the actions will always be identical, and you can only do them at certain points, yadda yadda. 

which works for a linear Singleplayer game, but not for a more open ended Multiplayer one.

A hug would be appreciated ;_;

k.

2:55 -- 4:48 for parkour section

Notable things:

1. Consecutive hopping ------------------------------------------------------------------ 3:10

2. Fast ledge grabs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 3:15 - 3:19

3. Jump through a hole in the wall ------------------------------------------------------- 3:30

4. Didn't even need to ledgegrab, just jump that s*quack* -------------------------- 4:32

5. Hop on the enemy, leaving them confused ------------------------------------------ 5:14

8:45 -- 10:17 for parkour section

Ignore playing with real time cutting physics at beginning.

Notable things:

1. Table roll ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 8:57

2. Doesn't need to roll or do a pose, just bends his knees a little ------------- 9:48

3. Look at how quickly he jumps on the debris ------------------------------------ 9:53

4. Notice how fast he rolls compared to Tenno ------------------------------------ 9:53

5. Jumps through a narrow space ---------------------------------------------------- 9:54

6. Quickly goes into a slide, comes out of said slide just as quickly ------------ 9:59

7. Consecutive long jumps ------------------------------------------------------------ 10:09

Note: You know that giant frozen planet defense map? The one where the enemies spawn all the way at the other side of the map? There are these two bridges where no. 7 would be perfect for going across them.

I like that it's quite smooth, but after watching it I have to agree to the guy here:

No no no no no no no.

I don't want an automatic parkour run system, that's bound to F*** you over at every turn that isn't a flat surface, because you'll have no control over the moves you are doing. What you want is a smooth transition between every move you do while you still retain control. Multi-contextual button presses are the bane of this. 

We already do a lot of things manually, let's keep this way. It might even become more unpredictable, especially because warframe gameplay is not so linear.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that it's quite smooth, but after watching it I have to agree to the guy here:

We already do a lot of things manually, let's keep this way. It might even become more unpredictable, especially because warframe gameplay is not so linear.

You're kidding, right? Warframe's gameplay is quite linear as it can get for a multiplayer game. Regarding the movement, I can traverse most tilesets without thinking at all. Grineer ship & asteroid, Corpus Ship and Orokind Void haven't been updated since when? Once I actually noticed that I've ingrained the tilesets so much that I actually start coptering in certain directs the moment a door to another room opens - it actually happened before I saw the full room, just a few clues were enough. The other zones have about 5-6 different rooms? I mean, Orokin Derelict and the new Infested Ships look quite atmospheric, but they also have a lot of ledges and corners where the traditional movement just seems to break down or looks really awkward (for example, grabbing an invisible ledge when vaulting up roots or infested sinews).

Furthermore, leaving Coptering aside, what are we doing manually? The stopping? Because if I don't copter, I often end up rolling over ledges and rails and stuff. The jumping? Only when the game doesn't decide that now a vault would be more appropriate. The wallrunning? Also decided on what the game deems appropriate, not me.

You see what I'm getting at? Right now, Warframes parkouring is half-backed. It has parts that are automated and parts that you have to do manually and both only kinda work awkwardly.

Either implement an option for full-manual movement (meaning that if I stop pressing my buttons or press a stop-button, my frame actually stops moving and doesn't do other acrobatics for 2-3 seconds, or that if I want to wallrun that I press the wallrun button and not have to hope that I actually go in the correct direction)

OR

give an option for full-automated movement (e.g. ninja run that just lets you zip straight through a tileset and that ends when you disengage from it).

Edith: Actually thinking about it, I think I'm wrong with how I differentiated between full-manual and full-automated. The ninja-run would be one button which would let me manually decide between "exploration"/"parkour"-movement. With a full-manual input, it would probably come down to the same, because really, how many buttons can use actually use when moving? Sprint & Jump & Crouch and WASD are already enough as is, so the new functions would have to be coded into these control inputs, which would mean it's automated, right?

Or not, but what I'm trying to get at is that even though you might think that a ninja-run feature would actually take away control from parkouring would actually mean that it'd add more control to it, because you can finally decide if you want to parkour or not.

Edited by Wojek

I did some testing on frames with movement skills. Aside from the fact that you can get practically anywhere already with Zephyr, or Rip Line or Worm Hole - let's not even bother with how many places Loki with Switch Teleport and Decoy can go - and even Excalibur with a maxed Super Jump and no other boosting mods can get to any special ledges or do some of those basic moves the OP described where he jumps on a box, then vaults up over to a higher ledge.

If this was something the engine could do easily, it would have already been done. Obviously it's not.

I would not see a reason to actually start messing with the engine heavily just to implement something that will not help navigate a large majority of the maps. Yes, we will look prettier doing some things, but gaining some slight efficiency of movement in maps already specifically designed with multiple ways of access? It's getting picky.

You could practically just add a simple aim-crouch-charge-jump enhanced jumping to all frames and cover most of the issues without a major rework of the engine, and STILL you would have to address the other movement powers to make them slightly better to account for everyone normal maneuverability improvements.

Not sure on this one.

I don't think we have any levels we have to transverse that demand THIS level of "parkour" to be coded.

Again, if it had to coded SPECIFICALLY into the engine because the engine can't be simply tweaked, I'd rather DE worked on something else, if it ever came down to us having to vote on priorities. Which it won't.