Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

DE would never take away all of the mobility from directional melee. It would flip the S#&$ everywhere with people being mad and rage-quitting. I think having a short and quick burst is totally worth it for the gameplay it would provide. It wouldn't really grant too much mobility. Just a few extra meters without giving any additional momentum.

I guess I'd be okay with it. The only real reason I'm so against any mobility on aerial attacks other than the player character's travel velocity is because the additional propulsion makes airborne enemies harder for me to hit than it should be. I also say I'd only want mobility on aerial melee attacks on Zephyr because I had the idea that if Zephyr boosts herself forward she can make like a drill and auger her way through enemies. Power-based mobility is something I've been trying to perpetuate with the community. My biggest one was Frost surfing his ice waves.

according to my suggestion nobody will eliminate your momentum.

at the end of Directional Melee, you want the Player to drop like a rock.

that's a deletion of momentum.

NfXkEbO.png

not accelerating you (though tbh to get forward in the air to hit an Enemy we might need to add a tiny bit of velocity) is fine, but making the player fall like a broken elevator isn't really helping to make movement tie together so that they support each other.

what that sentence sounds like is what happens when you try to 'copter' with a Heavy Melee. you just go clunk.

About your last update : your modified air melee's end would seem to break the flow of our jumps... I can't imagine it happening another way (like in Smash Bros, when you end your B-Air attack, and this situation is really punishing) :/

I'd just begin with some highly reduced air melee momentum.

Again, that's my opinion.

Oh great, I thought about Warframe & Nintendo simultaneously one more time... ;-;

Edited by unknow99

With the addition of the "Meditate" option, I believe it's reasonable to assume all Warframes have limited levitation and flight ability. I just wanted to state this. 

On this note, do you think we should just add a flight option based on stamina? It's not gonna be hardcore like Zephyr's, but just like floating slowly with momentum. I understand people are going to say it's gonna be like Directional Melee and how it completely removes the need for parkour, but I'd like to argue that this'd give more reason to move. I'd also like to suggest this not be available after coptering/Directional Meleeing. 

I dunno, I just think it'd be cool. This game is already like one of my favorite anime (Bleach or refered to by others as Chlorox) and incorporating an idea from them wouldn't be bad since it'd fit the game. I mean, I feel it'd really make sense if we could do this. 

BringerLight2.gif

Edit: Now that I think of it, why wasn't Directional Melee exactly like this but with a range? Why didn't it have homing as well?

Edited by (PS4)theelix

The only thing I ever wanted from the directional melee was the ability to hit flying enemies, only that. But, that part failed as I cannot hit enemies at all unless I am using very specific weapons, like a axe or a hammer since those weapons use an uppercut. Just about every other weapon attacks what is in front of me and misses my actual target, which is the camera above me. Had the aerial melee been only a uppercut with no added momentum, I would be perfectly content as i could reliably hit airborne enemies without much trouble. But now it is too late to make such a change when people have already adapted to it. If they slightly reduced the momentum gained and changed the animation to a uppercut so that it is possible to hit cameras and not get glued to a wall while doing so, I would be happy with this. But until then, I am not gonna be able to use aerial melee for it's intended purpose without bringing a heavy weapon.

-snip-

my favorite (sarcasm) Directional Melee Attack is Dual Swords. (or atleast Dual Ichor, i assume Dual Swords all use this).

your Tenno does the Breaststroke. imagine doing a Breaststroke with your hands. it literally hits in circles diagonally in front of you, but directly in front of you (what you'd be aiming at the Enemy you want to hit) is almost incapable of hitting anything.

5 second illustration:

XzkjGQQ.png

so you can hit things to the side of you real good.... but hitting something that's directly in front of you, lol, you can't hit it unless it's so close you could bite it.

*flips table*

-snippety snip-

Perfect illustration of the issue with the directional melee. I love using Dual Sword weapons, but I can't bring them on melee only corpus runs since I just cannot hit anything above ground! The very reason this melee attack was born was to allow us to hit airborne enemies, but several weapons cannot due to I-don't-even hitboxes that could not hit the broad side of a fomorian. This is why I am only using Heavy weapons these days, as if I dare use another weapon I will have to hop like a bunny several times to even get that shield osprey or that camera.

Oh, and I fell out of the map once because of the momentum. Yay.

at the end of Directional Melee, you want the Player to drop like a rock.

that's a deletion of momentum.

NfXkEbO.png

not accelerating you (though tbh to get forward in the air to hit an Enemy we might need to add a tiny bit of velocity) is fine, but making the player fall like a broken elevator isn't really helping to make movement tie together so that they support each other.

what that sentence sounds like is what happens when you try to 'copter' with a Heavy Melee. you just go clunk.

About your last update : your modified air melee's end would seem to break the flow of our jumps... I can't imagine it happening another way (like in Smash Bros, when you end your B-Air attack, and this situation is really punishing) :/

I'd just begin with some highly reduced air melee momentum.

Again, that's my opinion.

Oh great, I thought about Warframe & Nintendo simultaneously one more time... ;-;

okay you 2 are really pushing me into rage.

OK, so I guess instead of doing something more productive I'll go into the pivot animator. I will sit there, doing the stupid animation just for you 2 because you can't seem to wrap your head around this. I am sorry if this sounds aggressive but this is a really dumb situation where most of us are discussing about directional melee as a melee ability and you just pop in and start moaning about movement. It's like you're complaining to apple that their iphones are not serving ice cream.

I did try to explain it further in the OP. Even used red color because people say it attracts attention. Maybe that'll clear it up for you?

Edited by Aure7

The only real reason I'm so against any mobility on aerial attacks other than the player character's travel velocity is because the additional propulsion makes airborne enemies harder for me to hit than it should be.

That's the same exact reason I want that propulsion gone. But that quick and short burst would actually help to hit stuff since it would minimize the delay and make the swipe cover a larger area. 

Edited by Aure7

okay you 2 are really pushing me into rage.

OK, so I guess instead of doing something more productive I'll go into the pivot animator. I will sit there, doing the stupid animation just for you 2 because you can't seem to wrap your head around this. I am sorry if this sounds aggressive but this is a really dumb situation where most of us are discussing about directional melee as a melee ability and you just pop in and start moaning about movement. It's like you're complaining to apple that their iphones are not serving ice cream.

I did try to explain it further in the OP. Even used red color because people say it attracts attention. Maybe that'll clear it up for you?

Wow, I didn't know I could have offended you but if I did, please accept my apologies!

I may have misunderstood this gif :

XOlkXyg.gifand the left arrow, as it looked like you fell like a truck would...

The short burst is indeed what I was also suggesting. No need to rage,I'm with your side!

"highly reduced air melee momentum"

Edited by unknow99

Wow, I didn't know I could have offended you but if I did, please accept my apologies!

I may have misunderstood this gif :

XOlkXyg.gifand the left arrow, as it looked like you fell like a truck would...

The short burst is indeed what I was also suggesting. No need to rage,I'm with your side!

"highly reduced air melee momentum"

Well sorry, the other guy was the main cause of it because I already tried explaining it to him. But at the start it was my bad because this gif was really misleading. It was only showing directional melee from a stationary position. If you simply jump up and melee, you would land with almost no momentum but what I actually meant to say is that it gives no EXTRA momentum and doesn't remove any of it you had previously.

Well sorry, the other guy was the main cause of it because I already tried explaining it to him. But at the start it was my bad because this gif was really misleading. It was only showing directional melee from a stationary position. If you simply jump up and melee, you would land with almost no momentum but what I actually meant to say is that it gives no EXTRA momentum and doesn't remove any of it you had previously.

Oh okay. Now I see what you mean clearly...

And I agree.

So, you guys are planning to kill coptoring.  Have you figured out how to replace the loss of movement?  Have you figured out how to keep the tenno moving fast and far in all directions?  Taking fun away from people is not acceptable.  If you're going ot take something you'd better figure out how to get it , or something better, back.  No back sliding.

So, you guys are planning to kill coptoring.  Have you figured out how to replace the loss of movement?  Have you figured out how to keep the tenno moving fast and far in all directions?  Taking fun away from people is not acceptable.  If you're going ot take something you'd better figure out how to get it , or something better, back.  No back sliding.

How about improve the parkour system so that we will be able to use skill to move about instead of flying around and defying physics? Isn't an actual good parkour system, like Titanfall's, fun to you?

ah. nevermind then.

i thought you were saying you'd immediately lose your velocity vector. as long as we slow down normally in the air like we expect to due to air resistance and gravity, then it should be fine. :)

I never played Titanfall.  I have played Cloudbuilt and it is fun.  But, Cloudbuilt is built entirely for parkour.  The ground movement is lighting fast and precise with no boring stamina mechanism to leave you dead in the water twiddling your thumbs.  We can't say that about Warframe.  So, in Cloudbuilt, even if you do not have a surface on which to parkour, you can still move fast, and precise, to that parkour surface on which to parkour.

Even if you guys get the Parkour itself perfect, you still have the larger unsolved problem of having something to parkour off of, and gettng to it.  Parkour is not going to help you at all in excavation on a wide open ice field full of corpus.

EDIT:  I just had a vision of Aliens, with the Aliens crawling all over the walls and ceilings, lightning fast and precise, unrelenting.  Warframe needs a Spider, or centipede, or cobra, Warframe, or such enemies.

Edited by ThePresident777

We're not trying to kill coptering. We want parkour to actually be good. If DE can give coptering a proper animation and coptering stops feeling like a bug in the physics coding and more like a real feature, we'd quiet down about it.

But since you asked about replacing the loss of movement if coptering was taken out...

Ability-related mobility:

- Stamina no longer governs sprinting.

- New gauge called AP (action points) governs mobility abilities.

- Every Warframe has a unique mobility ability. For example: Frost has the ability to freeze the path in front of him and continuously slide on it. Not going to put any math behind it, but essentially his speed on the ice depends on his speed before he hit the ice.

I never played Titanfall.  I have played Cloudbuilt and it is fun.  But, Cloudbuilt is built entirely for parkour.  The ground movement is lighting fast and precise with no boring stamina mechanism to leave you dead in the water twiddling your thumbs.  We can't say that about Warframe.  So, in Cloudbuilt, even if you do not have a surface on which to parkour, you can still move fast, and precise, to that parkour surface on which to parkour.

Even if you guys get the Parkour itself perfect, you still have the larger unsolved problem of having something to parkour off of.  Parkour is not going to help you at all in excavation on a wide open ice field full of corpus.

EDIT:  I just had a vision of Aliens, with the Aliens crawling all over the walls and ceilings, lightning fast and precise, unrelenting.  Warframe needs a Spider, or centipede, or cobra, Warframe.

OFF TOPIC: Mag and Ash could probably be the only ones that do that. Mag because magnets and Ash because ninjas are supposed to be mobile.

Meanwhile Rhino, Frost (and hydroid?) could probably use some kind of Hulk styled parkour. Like charging jumps, clinging on walls and jumping off those as well.

Back to the topic:

I'm glad DE said they're going to work on movement after new year. Hopefully parkour will be the name of the game for U16. And hopefully it will actually matter to use it to not get hit.

And regarding air melee, it would help if it worked like the calibur move from DMC4, except being able to work diagonally.

Metering movement is a fail, whether it is metered by stamina or energy.  It's an an even bigger fail if you make the player choose between ult and movement.  The fail gets worse when you nerf abilities for the sake of movement.  Nerfing something people like to make them use something else is a fail.  Nerfs are fail.  Austerity is Fail.

A lot of the things you guys want in the game should not be the default state.  They should be mission, or environmental states, or, even better still, enemy abilities.

Enemy abllities are the best solution because it enables the player to use their agency to retain their agency.  It gets them to fight for their agency in a game about fighting.  It is a self reinforcing situation.

Although a game is composed of many separate and distinct parts, the parts have to be connected to form a whole.

Edited by ThePresident777

Even if you guys get the Parkour itself perfect, you still have the larger unsolved problem of having something to parkour off of, and gettng to it.  Parkour is not going to help you at all in excavation on a wide open ice field full of corpus.

EDIT:  I just had a vision of Aliens, with the Aliens crawling all over the walls and ceilings, lightning fast and precise, unrelenting.  Warframe needs a Spider, or centipede, or cobra, Warframe, or such enemies.

Wow, this game could teach sooo much to Warframe : multiple angles wallrun, high movement speed....

+1.

OFF TOPIC: Mag and Ash could probably be the only ones that do that. Mag because magnets and Ash because ninjas are supposed to be mobile.

Meanwhile Rhino, Frost (and hydroid?) could probably use some kind of Hulk styled parkour. Like charging jumps, clinging on walls and jumping off those as well.

We can all float via meditate and we all have limited magnetic abilities, as is shown with multiple weapons and abilities. We can all use our energy to propel ourselves, as shown with multiple powers. It's safe to say that we all have magnetic powers. The reason we all don't go around like mag is because she's specialized in it. We can all do what the other Warframes do, but we're specialized in something else. Rhino could be Zephyr if he wanted. All he'd really need to do is aim up when Rhino Charging.