The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

Finally guys!! Parkour 2.0 has been shown! After 1 year 1/2!!!

What do you think?

I can't really say I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

First off, unless there is are additions made into several tile sets, the zipline stuff is almost never going to be used. I'm not entirely sure why they would put time into a new mechanic that will barely see any use when there are so many things that need to be polished.

They seem to be focusing a lot more on traversal instead of combat application which is a little disappointing. Traversal is great and all but if parkour isn't relevant to combat in some way it'll be used just about as much as it is now. Which isn't a lot. The new wall running seems to actually make it more difficult to shoot while wall running due to the diagonal movement. From what it looks like, you are going to have to stop before you can fire at anything that isn't in front of you which is only going to make you an easier target. Also, even in the case that you are firing on someone in front of you, if they happen to be below you the character will start wall running downwards.

Also, they supposedly aren't going to start thinking about stamina until all of the mechanics have been added. Which is a little worrisome. If stamina is going to be well integrated into the mechanics it makes sense to start thinking about how all of the mechanics are going to work together when designing their respective capabilities and how stamina usage and recovery will be applied to encourage a certain flow of gameplay. Failing to do so may end up with the stamina system feeling tacked on or cumbersome in the way that it does now.

It may be a bit too early to make many assumptions, but my hype level has definitely diffused by quite a bit.

Edited by (PS4)KaxMcc

I can't really say I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

First off, unless there is are additions made into several tile sets, the zipline stuff is almost never going to be used. I'm not entirely sure why they would put time into a new mechanic that will barely see any use when there are so many things that need to be polished.

They seem to be focusing a lot more on traversal instead of combat application which is a little disappointing. Traversal is great and all but if parkour isn't relevant to combat in some way it'll be used just about as much as it is now. Which isn't a lot. The new wall running seems to actually make it more difficult to shoot while wall running due to the diagonal movement. From what it looks like, you are going to have to stop before you can fire at anything that isn't in front of you which is only going to make you an easier target. Also, even in the case that you are firing on someone in front of you, if they happen to be below you the character will start wall running downwards.

Also, they supposedly aren't going to start thinking about stamina until all of the mechanics have been added. Which is a little worrisome. If stamina is going to be well integrated into the mechanics it makes sense to start thinking about how all of the mechanics are going to work together when designing their respective capabilities and how stamina usage and recovery will be applied to encourage a certain flow of gameplay. Failing to do so may end up with the stamina system feeling tacked on or cumbersome in the way that it does now.

It may be a bit too early to make many assumptions, but my hype level has definitely diffused by quite a bit.

I doubt they won't consider shooting while running. It could work just fine if you simply continue running forward while aiming. You only have a chance to shoot on long flat walls so running straight forward like now wouldn't matter. I even have it in my OP:

1) The distinction between vertical and horizontal wallrun needs to be removed when player is not shooting or aiming. 

And stamina should be fine. The way they will figure it out makes sense to me, especially since Steve said exactly what I was thinking: stamina should mostly matter for powerful combat abilities (blocking, air melee...) and movement should be free.

And stamina should be fine. The way they will figure it out makes sense to me, especially since Steve said exactly what I was thinking: stamina should mostly matter for powerful combat abilities (blocking, air melee...) and movement should be free.

What did they say about parkour 2.0? i cant watch it on youtube and I miss the LiveStream D:

Ehm i cant watch Twitch too... My internet... well You know... or maybe no D:

Basically they were showing some directionality in wallrunning, stopping and hanging on the wall and on ropes, charged jumps and a few combos with warframe powers, like Vauban's jump pad or Zephyr's flying abilities. For me, it was a good start, most of us here I think are worried about the stamina changes (well, the fact that the devs will think on it later).

Basically they were showing some directionality in wallrunning, stopping and hanging on the wall and on ropes, charged jumps and a few combos with warframe powers, like Vauban's jump pad or Zephyr's flying abilities. For me, it was a good start, most of us here I think are worried about the stamina changes (well, the fact that the devs will think on it later).

I'm more worried that they'll keep Stamina as is.  It needs to be dropped.  We're fantasy Space Ninja, we should not get tired.

I'm more worried that they'll keep Stamina as is.  It needs to be dropped.  We're fantasy Space Ninja, we should not get tired.

Yeah :) I can think of something like if you running on the wall for long it would be more like an arch, not a straight line (depending on the frame speed, weight and the mods), and maybe some stamina system for the charged jumps (more like a charge bar, which refills almost immediately), so the jump distance would depend more on the base frame abilities and the mods you put on.

Some applications in my mind's eye:

* Volt is running on the wall like lightning

* Ash or Loki climbs up on the wall, goes invisible waiting for some sorry-a$$ enemy troops and drops on top of them (melee finisher ftw!)

* Rhino with a Heavy Impact mod from above

... and so on :)

A big thank you to this feedback, this really brought parkour back to life

don't hold your breath yet, it hasn't successfully achieved this quite yet.

after about a year and a half, we have what amounts to "we're working on it".

we're not out of the woods yet.

• 2 weeks later...

New Parkour stuff in devstream 53!!! (they also want to delete stamina!)

3HPwdlF.gif

RqGaWBk.gif

TigCxSl.gif

vpnKmBS.gif

Yeeesssssss.

Time to watch devstream.

EDIT:WATCHED DEVSTREAM; U17 WILL BE SO GOOD.

Edited by Lukap99

What made them rethink Parkour 2.0? ... Dying Light.

They won't admit it, but just watching that short animation of grabbing a Grineer soldier and kicking off proves it to me.  The game came out recently, someone at DE bought it, and they thought: "How can we get our Parkour to work with the game environment instead of our test environment?"

What made them rethink Parkour 2.0? ... Dying Light.

They won't admit it, but just watching that short animation of grabbing a Grineer soldier and kicking off proves it to me.  The game came out recently, someone at DE bought it, and they thought: "How can we get our Parkour to work with the game environment instead of our test environment?"

I'm fairy certain everyone has forgotten about Dying Light, so I think it's rather unlikely. Maybe it was one of the inspirations, but I doubt they based that feature solely off of DL.

Plus we already had flying kicks before, so maybe someone just used their imagination and thought "How can we expand on this?"

Or maybe someone at DE watched a Jackie Chan film. Those are always fun.

I'm fairy certain everyone has forgotten about Dying Light, so I think it's rather unlikely. Maybe it was one of the inspirations, but I doubt they based that feature solely off of DL.

Plus we already had flying kicks before, so maybe someone just used their imagination and thought "How can we expand on this?"

Or maybe someone at DE watched a Jackie Chan film. Those are always fun.

Forgotten about it?  Hell it's one of the only zombie survival games that actually makes you feel like you're trying to survive.

It's a very well-made game that just didn't make a massively expansive multiplayer mode so it got little traction.  But to say it's forgotten is a little much.  It's still 60 bucks on Steam.  Terrible games get dropped in price immediately.

It went on sale Memorial Day weekend so I'm sure someone at the office bought it, tried it, found it's Parkour to be extremely on-par for it's setting, and thought again about what Parkour 2.0 means for Warframe.

Edit:

Let me just say this...if Dying Light had absolutely no influence whatsoever in the changes to Parkour 2.0, I'd be surprised.

Edited by Thaumatos

Let me just say this...if Dying Light had absolutely no influence whatsoever in the changes to Parkour 2.0, I'd be surprised.

inspiration comes from many places.

i'm sure Dying Light played it's part. but a hundred other games may or may not have also participated in inspiration.

it's all conjecture. we're interested with the inspirations, not really their sources.

I see a dodge in wall? Is that a Dodge while wall running?

D-d-d-description of the gifs :

1) Excal wallruns vertically,faster than the current one we have. (You can choose the jump's direction!!! :D )

2) Quick jump transitions between walls. (I hope we stil can choose the jump's direction...)

3) You can fast forward while wallrunning!

4) Clem is a goomba.

The 3) may be the dodge you're talking about... :)

Edited by unknow99

D-d-d-description of the gifs :

1) Excal wallruns vertically,faster than the current one we have. (You can choose the jump's direction!!! :D )

2) Quick jump transitions between walls. (I hope we stil can choose the jump's direction...)

3) You can fast forward while wallrunning!

4) Clem is a goomba.

The 3) may be the dodge you're talking about... :)

Yes the 3 is what i say... it looks like a dodge---

New Parkour stuff in devstream 53!!! (they also want to delete stamina!)

vpnKmBS.gif

This one is problematic for me.  What we don't see is the Grineer killing you as you rush straight into him.  Hitscan weaponry is going to be our bane.

And for the record, SCOTT wants to get rid of the little green bar, no one else agreed with him on Stream.

This one is problematic for me.  What we don't see is the Grineer killing you as you rush straight into him.  Hitscan weaponry is going to be our bane.

And for the record, SCOTT wants to get rid of the little green bar, no one else agreed with him on Stream.

Of course, this action is risky as Ruk : it better gotta be really fast or you're a dead tenno...

One thing they can improve is the "lower-accuracy-when-you-do-parkour" stuff.

I also hope this action can be done from any angle, otherwise it'd be more of a problem than anything else!

Edited by unknow99

Of course, this action is risky as Ruk : it better gotta be really fast or you're a dead tenno...

One thing they can improve is the "lower-accuracy-when-you-do-parkour" stuff.

I also hope this action can be done from any angle, otherwise it'd be more of a problem than anything else!

I think it's pretty safe to say that it will work from any angle, otherwise it would go against everything they want to achieve with this new parkour.

I must say, I like the change in their approach to parkour, how they try to make it fit the current tilesets (the remarks about shortage of long wall stretches and ziplines) and how everything (including enemies) is becoming a potential movement tool. That means that Tenno cooperating for parkour purposes as described in the OP, is also on the table (tho most likely not in this update).