Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave retirement/replacement

I think the Nora Nightwave aspect is due a replacement. Instead, I'd like to see a news service similar to a drivetime segment on FM car stereos. I make this suggestion based on a post by robotwars7... but something said in jest could actually be a good idea.

"and now over to Derf Anyo for the weather forecast!

"well, space is still freezing and dark as always,. but we'll be seeing some torrential Acid rain across the western region of Ceres Alpha, and if you're on Pluto, pack your snow helmet because there's a category 4 blizzard moving in on the Acheron front. Infested levels currently remain at a low level but as always, travelling to Dark Sectors is ill-advised. oh, just getting reports of another outbreak! that's the infested for you! over to Cephalon Sark now for the Sports news.." 

It might be a good excuse for a fresh voice actor, scripts and a.i. programming too. A news report according to fomorian status or ghouls in PoE, weather report according to magnetic anomalies on Mars or wherever that actually affect our fights, travel advice for railjack destinations... I wouldn't mind travelling from planet to planet in my orbiters for RNG to determine if I have to fight off a spectre in my orbiter en-route... maybe the Corpus implement toll routes that create 'traffic jams' ... lots of scope for new possibilities. 

I wouldn't mind the traditional news anchor, travel reporter and weather presenter banter, either. Some new jokes would be nice. 😉

Edited by (XB1)Primus Patronum
Can't seem to edit the 'quote' thing properly. Nevermind, I'm sure you get the gist.

Why retirement/replacement when you can just add channels for new personalities? Like more syndicate use.

SnappyOddAmazonparrot-size_restricted.gi

Could be a whole resistance series with a Steel Meridian DJ being new to the idea.

And Nora would be back for a mystery series later.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

Why retirement/replacement when you can just add channels for new personalities? Like more syndicate use.

SnappyOddAmazonparrot-size_restricted.gi

Could be a whole resistance series with a Steel Meridian DJ being new to the idea.

And Nora would be back for a mystery series later.

A bit like GTAonline? Sounds good.

30 minutes ago, (XB1)Primus Patronum said:

I make this suggestion based on a post by robotwars7... but something said in jest could actually be a good idea.

it's by me, so of course it's a good idea =P

"today's forecast, we have sightings of Corpus Fighters around Jupiter, taking to the atmosphere in category 9.5 Hydrogen Storms, let's hope they don't crash! Void fissures are predicted for southern Mars and Phobos but they're totally random and terrifying, so who even knows! Warm spells are expected for Pluto, reaching a record high of -80 degrees Celsius! current infetation peak activity is at Eris (as usual), Neptune and Saturn, so if you're travelling to these locations keep that heat sword handy! that concludes our weather report, over to our brand new political correspondent and retired Grineer Lich Warrior/Tenno slayer, Magg Ba'dur.."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

it's by me, so of course it's a good idea =P

"today's forecast, we have sightings of Corpus Fighters around Jupiter, taking to the atmosphere in category 9.5 Hydrogen Storms, let's hope they don't crash! Void fissures are predicted for southern Mars and Phobos but they're totally random and terrifying, so who even knows! Warm spells are expected for Pluto, reaching a record high of -80 degrees Celsius! current infetation peak activity is at Eris (as usual), Neptune and Saturn, so if you're travelling to these locations keep that heat sword handy! that concludes our weather report, over to our brand new political correspondent and retired Grineer Lich Warrior/Tenno slayer, Magg Ba'dur.."

You might want to ask DE for an interview. 

The problem with Nightwave is how much maintenance it has. Nora has become stale because there are massive gaps in when new things are added due to this maintenance. The way to improve the system is start cutting it down to become an automated and systematic system (like alerts) and honestly just remove Nora's unique dialogue for more generic ones. The overdeveloped story is why players wait months for a 2 minute cutscene and a 10 minute minigame. Adding extra voice acting and such is a massive undertaking that DE should not go for.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Voltage said:

The problem with Nightwave is how much maintenance it has. Nora has become stale because there are massive gaps in when new things are added due to this maintenance. The way to improve the system is start cutting it down to become an automated and systematic system (like alerts) and honestly just remove Nora's unique dialogue for more generic ones. The overdeveloped story is why players wait months for a 2 minute cutscene and a 10 minute minigame. Adding extra voice acting and such is a massive undertaking that DE should not go for.

I don't find Nora stale. Though I do wish we could turn off the cephilite announcements.

Also, voice acting is not expensive when compared to the other costs of developing games. Actors are freelancers while environmental artists, programmers, human resources, network engineers, etc, tend to be salaried employees. As most are part of a voice actor's union, they're typically contracted for a day where they record a ton of different dialogue that's used for months to come.

If there are untimely delays in Nightwave, that's likely due to other issues along the development pipeline or larger problems with project management.

Obviously, I'm not part of [DE] but if I were to guess why we had that two month gap, I'd suggest the answer is 'Deadlock Protocol.' When you have a large update coming out soon, it's normal to focus your time and energy on that.