Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vsync off causing 100% GPU usage

BertieWoosterUK

Recently found when playing Warframe even though my FPS was fine with no visual problems or playablity but I found the PC fans kicking up to almost max speed/loud at weird off times during the game (end of round menus, logging in, in my ship).

Checking task manager the CPU (i7-6700k) was only using around 45% but the GPU (Nvidia 2080 Super) was 100% all the time in the game.
I started putting all the video settings to either low or disabled but nothing would change the GPU max usage until I set Vsync to either auto or on then it went down to aroun 42%.

Never found any other game if you disable vsync causing GPU usage to be 100% constantly.

well if your frame rate is on something like unlimited and you have vsync off, then that would kinda explain why, asking it to work flat out max performance, try slapping a frame limit of your monitors refresh or just 1 notch higher.

Yup same here. Got it/noticed it this week. My GPU (gtx 1070) started to go full ham. Full usage and overheating while it was barely noticeable ingame. Only a couple weird lags on screen or seemingly delayed commands etc.  Fullscreen, V-sync is off, fps are capped at 200. Optimizing the game or lowering stuff in the settings didn't change anything. Tabbing out would give my GPU a break until I tabbed back in. My CPU (3600x) dosen't seem to be affected as far as I can tell.

On 2020-07-02 at 1:42 AM, BertieWoosterUK said:

Never found any other game if you disable vsync causing GPU usage to be 100% constantly.

In general: This should be expected if you turn off v-sync. If it is not, then you are CPU limited, or limited by something else in the system (bandwidth/IO for example).

You can even be limited by different parts within the GPU core, which themselves produce different amounts of heat. Turn on RTX, and your shader cores aren't going to produce as much heat (for example). It all depends on what's getting hit at a given time. The "core" isn't one 'thing' that you can attach a 100% to and assume its fully utilized, it's more an impression of work done. 

In this case, Warframe isn't very demanding on the CPU (especially when in the orbiter), so it's able to prepare frames for the renderer with no other overhead.

What probably adds to this is the fact that Warframe uses a forward renderer which does light calculations different to the deferred renderer favored by modern titles (Not sure where warframe are going with their deferred renderer, but last i recall, they were trying to implement a Forward+ approach like Detroit). These both use the GPU in a different way. You are likely to see the same result if you boot up another forward rendered title, and let the frame-rate go wild.

Give the game a frame-cap, or change the thermal paste are the only things you can do. If your GPU is doing the work asked of it and not crashing, then it's working as it was engineered (unless overlcocking in which case ease that off).

Underclock GPU for quieter fans and less heat. For AMD, use AMD radeon software settings, Performance, tuning.

I have my XFX RX 5500 XT run at underclocked 1190 MHz, 750 millivolts, GPU temperature 82 C, GPU fans is at a quiet 677 RPM, all while at 100% GPU usage. Hwinfo64 shows about 48 watts from GPU ASIC power from underclock, was 120 Watts from normal clocks. Sure this makes it slower, but not twice as slow. This is still 3 times faster then NVidia GT 1030.

Previously I used PNY NVidia GT 1030, which is quiet and nearly always 100% GPU usage, at default clocks. Slow graphics card is quiet.

Archived