Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Slow Clap] Ballistica, Now This Is Weapon Design.

notionphil

DE, thank you for giving us a new weapon which is not objectively better, or worse than the current 'standard' of weapons in its category, it is instead DIFFERENT.

The ballistica has the highest single 'trigger pull' damage of any non-acrid non-shotgun secondary. However, its unique burst firing mechanism and relatively small clip size reduces its sustained DPS. It has a unique feel and learning curve which pays off with versatility.

The fact that it's not objectively worse, nor better, means we have a CHOICE, instead of an obligation to use your newest creation (or face being weaker than the majority - soma/galantine). I enjoy the Ballistica, have already potatoed and will forma.

The baked in limitations - slow firing speed and clip size, gives me a lot of options for Forma'd builds to overcome those drawbacks and unleash the weapons DPS. I'm looking forward to a clip size fire rate build to turn this thing into an arrow machinegun.

I was personally just disapointed that it wasn't a crossbow weapon, that i thought it would be. But it's a fungun to use, but it's just not my thing. I put a potato on it, but the weapons fireing system just feels to heavy and awkward. But it's an intresting gun, and i hope we have more types of these weapons.

I like it... you can either opt to fire one, powerful and accurate shot into the distance or spray 4 (or so, depending on Multishot) bolts into a row of enemies. With the right mods, it becomes effective yet also pleasantly challenging. Add puncture and a burst into a crowd is very effective.

Also, the side to side recoil makes it much more effective in burst as a blanket fire weapon.

Part of my full archer setup of Ash, Paris/Dread, Ballistica and Fang. Hell, even went ahead and colored their set C in green with orange energy; feel like a sci-fi Green Arrow :P

It's definitively going to get a Forma or two (already Catalysted)

Edited by Wiegraf

I was personally just disapointed that it wasn't a crossbow weapon, that i thought it would be. But it's a fungun to use, but it's just not my thing. I put a potato on it, but the weapons fireing system just feels to heavy and awkward. But it's an intresting gun, and i hope we have more types of these weapons.

Are you referring to the charge firing system feeling "heavy?" If so, I agree completely and I think the reason is that there is a non-zero time for the Ballistica to "cool-down" between charged shots that blocks firing commands. Its almost as if we are manually loading a new bolt (like a Bow), but there is no animation being played to indicate this.

Are you referring to the charge firing system feeling "heavy?" If so, I agree completely and I think the reason is that there is a non-zero time for the Ballistica to "cool-down" between charged shots that blocks firing commands. Its almost as if we are manually loading a new bolt (like a Bow), but there is no animation being played to indicate this.

have noticed that, but also if you try speed trigger, it makes the charge time so fast you can use it almost exclusively charged

btw lethal torrent and gunslinger make the charge time negligible. and then barrel diffusion with that gets you the best of both worlds. (high fire rate effectively reduces recoil)

It should, but not all tests indicate that it does. Reduced time between shots reduces the time allotted for interpolating the recoil, but I could be wrong. It may actually mean that it interpolates faster too, leading to a similar spread pattern.

It should, but not all tests indicate that it does. Reduced time between shots reduces the time allotted for interpolating the recoil, but I could be wrong. It may actually mean that it interpolates faster too, leading to a similar spread pattern.

spread feels tigher IMO. However, spread is good for crowd killing, so you might not want it too tight.

Basically i used my spread shots like a shotgun, and my charged shots for mobs that can be one shot easily when i'm at a sniper vantage point. I find DPS higher on spread shots.

This is why ballistica is so awesome! Look at all of these pros and cons to offeset eachother. Not "well, slap some more skittles on that badboy and it dominates everything in game".

I'd say it should have a higher magazine. 1 extra burst or 20 rounds(Although this might make charged shot spam builds too strong). But I do enjoy how nicely balanced it is. Same base damage and damage type as a bolto, but with vastly different functionality. 
It's too bad this game rewards damage output over anything else in weapons. Enemies that employ actual tactics would be nice to help improve the use of a weapon that is versatile like the Ballistica over weapons that crank out damage but we'll be waiting a while before that happens.

The only suggestion for this weapon is since it fires arrows (or bolts), we should be able to equip the thunderbolt mod (makes arrows explode) but only charged shots have the chance of exploding.

That is a primary mod, so i'm pretty sure it doesnt work like that, but yes and yes.

I'd say it should have a higher magazine. 1 extra burst or 20 rounds(Although this might make charged shot spam builds too strong). But I do enjoy how nicely balanced it is. Same base damage and damage type as a bolto, but with vastly different functionality. 

It's too bad this game rewards damage output over anything else in weapons. Enemies that employ actual tactics would be nice to help improve the use of a weapon that is versatile like the Ballistica over weapons that crank out damage but we'll be waiting a while before that happens.

I'm pretty sure you could get your clip to be that size with a fully-upgraded slip magazine. It should be even easier when Damage 2.0 hits, because then you won't have a damage handicap to deal with.

I'm pretty sure you could get your clip to be that size with a fully-upgraded slip magazine. It should be even easier when Damage 2.0 hits, because then you won't have a damage handicap to deal with.

Actually once 2.0 hits the ballistica will probably be proportionately weaker. It is armor ignore so it will probably become piercing damage, which will be less effective versus flesh and shields. However it will be as/more effective vs armor.

Actually once 2.0 hits the ballistica will probably be proportionately weaker. It is armor ignore so it will probably become piercing damage, which will be less effective versus flesh and shields. However it will be as/more effective vs armor.

Like the Despair (which still lols at light infested).

Yeah, except that its huge, anoying to aim and Despair@Kunai still better.

the good thing is that 'better' is subjective, finally. 

Ballistica has lower sustained DPS and definitely has a learning curve, but can perform much better one shot kills than the knives. Especially at range, due to the dropoff of the knives and ballsticas large charge damage.

It also has the option of having awesome ammo economy when needed. It's spread is also very useful in group situations with the built in stagger and a puncture mod.

So it's not exactly a clear cut answer, which is why it's awesome :)