Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ideas for Railjack Revisited Part 2

Mephane

That is, assuming there is going to be a Part 2, which the name of that other update implied.

These are my biggest gripes with and wishes for the mode and why I generally don't play it as much as I would otherwise want to. I love the concept of Railjack content, I love space combat in general, but right now Railjack is often too much of a hassle to be enjoyable for extended periods.

• The nav console at the end of a mission should trigger a vote . If you vote against the new mission, you should get gracefully returned to the Dry Dock on your own instead of being dragged into the next mission that you then have to abort.
  • Let us host a Railjack mission (using our own Railjack) from the Orbiter, without having to go into the dojo every the time.
    • In extension, I think building and using your own Railjack should not require membership in a clan, the clan's Dry Dock should just be a cool bonus. Instead, all Relays should have a Dry Dock where you can do all the same things as in your Dojo's one.
  • Refinement as a game mechanic should be removed altogether. Instead, any excess resources that don't fit into the Forges's buffer should be converted to mission rewards automatically, as should anything in the buffer at the end of the mission.
  • The owner shouldn't have to spend their own materials to refill before the next mission. Revolite, ammo etc should simply automatically start at full capacity at the beginning of each mission (both when starting from the Dry Dock and when warping directly from one mission to the next).
  • Getting Asterite and Titanium is highly frustrating because you get very little unless you go out of your way to shoot down the orange asteroids, compressed scrap metal etc. But then the whole mission structure goes against farming the latter because once mission is done anyone can just warp the ship back to the Dry Dock or another mission.
    • As a simpe solution, killed fighters should have a guaranteed drop of Asterite or Titanium (chosen at random) worth as much as an orange asteroid, in addition to their current drops.
  • I am so tired of seeing only Veil Proxima. The way the enemy and reward tiers work, unless you need a specific drop that can only be had on Earth or Saturn, there is no point to visit anything else than Veil Proxima. This makes me especially sad because Saturn is by far the best backdrop yet it quickly becomes pointless to ever go there.
    • Imagine the rest of the game worked like that and once you are decently equipped, all you ever would see is one particular tileset, over and over, and none of the others.
    • The underlying problem here is the system of equipment tiers. If we did away with those (DE, please do), suddenly weapons and components dropped at Saturn and Earth would be just as worthwhile as those in Veil Proxima, while right now they are utter junk right from the start.
  • Wreckage auto-scrapping has to go. I am fine with buying inventory slots for repaired equipment, but potentially useful gear being automatically scrapped once you have a certain amount in your backlog is just garbage game design. Instead make it a bit like Rivens - once you are over the limit you cannot start a new mission until you scrap some excess items, but when in a mission the limit is ignored and you can run any amount of subsequent missions if you warp directly from mission completion to another mission (which ties into my first point about the nav console and voting).
  • The Sentient Anomaly should become its own mission type replacing one of the nodes at random, in any of the three zones (not just Veil Proxima, which ties into my point about wanting to regularly see the other locations as well). For a start, just change the Exterminate phase into killing Sentient fighters (the ones that Scarlet Spear introduced) instead of Grineer, followed by the usual boarding of the Sentient ship.
  • Please introduce Railjack Fissure missions. I would absolutely love to do my Prime, Ducat and Forma BP farming in Railjack content.
    • Have at least one Fissure mission active in each of the three Railjack locations at all times. Veil Proxima should spawn Axi and Requiem Fissures, Saturn should spawn Neo and Meso Fissures, Earth should spawn Meso and Lith Fissures.
    • Combined with the above suggestion to get rid of the MK I-III tiers, this would solve the problem of monotony only seeing Veil Proxima all the time.

3 hours ago, Mephane said:

Let us host a Railjack mission (using our own Railjack) from the Orbiter, without having to go into the dojo every the time.

Unless I'm missing something you can. Press Escape and select "Board Railjack" or use the boarding pad near the middle of the orbiter.

Refinement as a game mechanic should be removed altogether. Instead, any excess resources that don't fit into the Forges's buffer should be converted to mission rewards automatically, as should anything in the buffer at the end of the mission.

As I understand it refining is to allow you to share the contents of the forges if somebody wants to leave but you don't want to dry dock. Refining happens automatically when you return to the DD.

The owner shouldn't have to spend their own materials to refill before the next mission. Revolite, ammo etc should simply automatically start at full capacity at the beginning of each mission (both when starting from the Dry Dock and when warping directly from one mission to the next).

There needs to be some form of resource sink here. Even with the owner refilling everything if you play enough Railjack you have resources for days.

I am so tired of seeing only Veil Proxima. The way the enemy and reward tiers work, unless you need a specific drop that can only be had on Earth or Saturn, there is no point to visit anything else than Veil Proxima. This makes me especially sad because Saturn is by far the best backdrop yet it quickly becomes pointless to ever go there.

There are several avionics that only drop on specific nodes so if you do nothing but Gian Point you will be missing some stuff.

Wreckage auto-scrapping has to go. I am fine with buying inventory slots for repaired equipment, but potentially useful gear being automatically scrapped once you have a certain amount in your backlog is just garbage game design. Instead make it a bit like Rivens - once you are over the limit you cannot start a new mission until you scrap some excess items, but when in a mission the limit is ignored and you can run any amount of subsequent missions if you warp directly from mission completion to another mission (which ties into my first point about the nav console and voting).

It used to work like this on launch and it... was not popular. I clear out before launching and I can do a fairly extended run before auto-scrapping comes into play. I do with there was some way of telling how much wreckage you have without docking up though as I have to guess.

Please introduce Railjack Fissure missions. I would absolutely love to do my Prime, Ducat and Forma BP farming in Railjack content.

Not sure how this would fit with the lore but I'm all up for having some reason to continue playing Railjack. I really like it but aside from the last few intrinsic points and levelling gear I literally have no reason other than getting newbies started by helping them farm stuff. New mission types would be good but that wouldn't solve the problem that there is nothing left for me to get out of Railjack (Umbra Forma was basically it but DE took those out).

6 hours ago, Mephane said:
  • I am so tired of seeing only Veil Proxima. The way the enemy and reward tiers work, unless you need a specific drop that can only be had on Earth or Saturn, there is no point to visit anything else than Veil Proxima. This makes me especially sad because Saturn is by far the best backdrop yet it quickly becomes pointless to ever go there.
    • Imagine the rest of the game worked like that and once you are decently equipped, all you ever would see is one particular tileset, over and over, and none of the others.
    • The underlying problem here is the system of equipment tiers. If we did away with those (DE, please do), suddenly weapons and components dropped at Saturn and Earth would be just as worthwhile as those in Veil Proxima, while right now they are utter junk right from the start.

Idea: We have 3 houses, which each have different specialities and whatnot. Make each house's parts drop only on certain planets, e.g. Lavan parts on Earth and Zetki parts on Saturn. The tier of the part dropped depends on the difficulty/level of the mission (if the equipment tiers aren't outright removed, that is). As we get more planets then each house could end up dropping on multiple planets. If we get more houses, some of the areas where a specific house's parts drops might overlap with another house's.

16 hours ago, Mephane said:
  • The Sentient Anomaly should become its own mission type replacing one of the nodes at random, in any of the three zones (not just Veil Proxima, which ties into my point about wanting to regularly see the other locations as well). For a start, just change the Exterminate phase into killing Sentient fighters (the ones that Scarlet Spear introduced) instead of Grineer, followed by the usual boarding of the Sentient ship.

While I do like the idea of the Sentient Anomalies having their own mission type, I also like the idea of the Grineer coming to these Anomalies to investigate and possibly try and salvage some technology there. So I'd say there should be a chance for Grineer Galleons to spawn in these Sentient Anomaly missions, as the Galleons sort of act like "Mobile Bases" for the Grineer and they would likely use these Galleons on salvage or exploration expeditions like these (Asteroid Bases cannot move, and they take time to set up, while Galleons are always ready to go and are quite movable).

Perhaps there could be "Crossfire"-type missions or objectives for the Railjack as well, where the different factions are actively battling in space with their fighters and crewships. And in Sentient Anomaly missions where there a Galleon has spawned, the Sentient fighters are battling with the Galleon's own fighters. And perhaps some Sentients have boarded the Galleon, making the Galleon objective extra difficult. And vice versa, some of the Galleon's troops might've boarded the Sentient ship and they'll be actively trying to fight the Sentients when you board the ship.

The main thing I think is needed is mission variety because currently its all exterminate + ground objective. It does need things like a survival in space, maybe a maze like mission where you have to pilot the rail jack into a corpus death star or something.

I personally think a main limiting factor is the crew ships which require map space for each one spawned  which I can see being a performance nightmare on a mode with infinite enemies. So I think some missions should just not have them  and in those cases an enemy with a similar role without the boarding feature should take their place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived