The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Archwing and Archgun Together in Open Worlds

Novashank

I didn't expect to have to create a thread for this, but here we go. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

(tl;dr We can't use our Archwing and our Archgun at the same time on open worlds like Cambion Drift, and it just makes no sense. This defies logic and intuition so and I'm calling for this to be changed.)

Ok, so you got your Archwing. You can go to open worlds now. You did all that painful grinding to be able to get Gravimags for your Archguns. "Wow DE, thanks for giving us the ability to use our Archguns on the ground now, as a Heavy Weapon! That's awesome! Now we don't have to let these awesome big guns collect dust until we finally play an Archwing mission again," you exclaim. "I'm also pretty excited since that means I can use it with my Archwing in the open worlds too now! That should be awesome!" you say with gleeful hype. And it's so cool that you'll finally get to do that now, right? I mean, you weren't even expecting DE to add that in, but here we are!

Wrong. Obviously. No, you don't get to use your Archwing and Archgun at the same time on open worlds. Why? Cause logic, that's why! I mean, why in the world did you ever think that would make sense? You silly Tenno.

But in all serious, why can't we do this? What possible lore, gameplay or development reason(s) could there be for such a counterintuitive design choice? Are Gravimags not quite strong enough for that? Kinda defeats the purpose, so I don't think that's why... although that's probably why. Are Archguns too powerful? Heck no. Are they more powerful than Primary Weapons? They sure should be, but they're not! Primary Weapons kick Archguns/Heavy Weapons to the curb! So that's not the reason, I think. 

Would it be a royal pain trying to implement that into the code? Maybe, but even so, DE's programmers conquered much more daunting tasks that that, right, praise be to them? Could it just be an unfortunate oversight on the part of DE's designers? Maybe so.

Regardless of DE's reasoning, I KNOW I'm not the only one who got myself all set up to be able to use my Archgun planetside with the expectation that I'll also get to use it with my Archwing in the Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis and Cambion Drift. Who wouldn't expect it to work like that? So I'm sure we all had our own confused reaction when we discovered that it simply can't be done. It was a missed opportunity and slightly defeats the purpose of getting to use an Archgun in atmosphere when you can also use your Archwing in open worlds.

I'm asking for you to change this strange fact to what would make sense, DE. Please find some balance- and consistency-appeasing way to allow us to equip our Archgun while we have our Archwing equipped in open world levels. It may only be a small change and maybe only a small portion of us will appreciate it, but I think we can all agree the game would be a little better that way. Let me know if I'm wrong about that, y'all.

I think there's a fundamental difference between boosting around in zero gravity with heavy weapons, and flying a heavy cyborg in gravity conditions with a heavy weapon.

We have access to each with restrictions in open world, that's good enough. For immersion reasons, I like it better how it is. 

2 hours ago, Novashank said:

The ONLY reason that makes sense is that DE would either have to allow the Archgun to regen ammo in atmosphere like it does in space when used with Archwing, which they seem to think would create a balance issue

Necramechs says Hi. 

On 2020-10-21 at 1:15 AM, Novashank said:

I didn't expect to have to create a thread for this, but here we go. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

(tl;dr We can't use our Archwing and our Archgun at the same time on open worlds like Cambion Drift, and it just makes no sense. This defies logic and intuition so and I'm calling for this to be changed.)

Ok, so you got your Archwing. You can go to open worlds now. You did all that painful grinding to be able to get Gravimags for your Archguns. "Wow DE, thanks for giving us the ability to use our Archguns on the ground now, as a Heavy Weapon! That's awesome! Now we don't have to let these awesome big guns collect dust until we finally play an Archwing mission again," you exclaim. "I'm also pretty excited since that means I can use it with my Archwing in the open worlds too now! That should be awesome!" you say with gleeful hype. And it's so cool that you'll finally get to do that now, right? I mean, you weren't even expecting DE to add that in, but here we are!

Wrong. Obviously. No, you don't get to use your Archwing and Archgun at the same time on open worlds. Why? Cause logic, that's why! I mean, why in the world did you ever think that would make sense? You silly Tenno.

But in all serious, why can't we do this? What possible lore, gameplay or development reason(s) could there be for such a counterintuitive design choice? Are Gravimags not quite strong enough for that? Kinda defeats the purpose, so I don't think that's why... although that's probably why. Are Archguns too powerful? Heck no. Are they more powerful than Primary Weapons? They sure should be, but they're not! Primary Weapons kick Archguns/Heavy Weapons to the curb! So that's not the reason, I think. 

Would it be a royal pain trying to implement that into the code? Maybe, but even so, DE's programmers conquered much more daunting tasks that that, right, praise be to them? Could it just be an unfortunate oversight on the part of DE's designers? Maybe so.

Regardless of DE's reasoning, I KNOW I'm not the only one who got myself all set up to be able to use my Archgun planetside with the expectation that I'll also get to use it with my Archwing in the Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis and Cambion Drift. Who wouldn't expect it to work like that? So I'm sure we all had our own confused reaction when we discovered that it simply can't be done. It was a missed opportunity and slightly defeats the purpose of getting to use an Archgun in atmosphere when you can also use your Archwing in open worlds.

I'm asking for you to change this strange fact to what would make sense, DE. Please find some balance- and consistency-appeasing way to allow us to equip our Archgun while we have our Archwing equipped in open world levels. It may only be a small change and maybe only a small portion of us will appreciate it, but I think we can all agree the game would be a little better that way. Let me know if I'm wrong about that, y'all.

I mean, I feel your call to logic, but I'm forced to answer with: This is a game about space ninja wizard children.

Nothing makes sense, especially the lore that has been retconned and beaten to death by it's own inconsistencies.

The only reason this doesn't work is because "Devs said no" and no other reason.  They would likely cite something laughable like "game balance" without considering how you can now just press 4 to win on nercramechs because that doesn't fit with their very strange notions of balance.

That said, they are a particularly obstinate bunch and don't often listen to player feedback unless it comes in the form of an angry twitter mob, or rather, is just one guy on twitter that complains about universal medallions that makes steve feel sad.

Sorry to say, probably never gonna happen because reasons, it's not like the architecture isn't already there, they had to consciously go in and fundamentally change it to not work this way.

They dont think things through very often. 

Just make them work off an energy source that's far more plentiful in space than on planet effectively stopping it from being op and simultaneously having no need to keep separating our utility options. 

U can't use archwing here, "why" just bcuz?

I can use archwing in the caves on fortuna but not on POE, "why" just bcuz?

Long hallways cant use hoverboards, "why" just bcuz?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-10-23 at 11:01 PM, Klokwerkaos said:

I mean, I feel your call to logic, but I'm forced to answer with: This is a game about space ninja wizard children.

Nothing makes sense, especially the lore that has been retconned and beaten to death by it's own inconsistencies.

The only reason this doesn't work is because "Devs said no" and no other reason.  They would likely cite something laughable like "game balance" without considering how you can now just press 4 to win on nercramechs because that doesn't fit with their very strange notions of balance.

That said, they are a particularly obstinate bunch and don't often listen to player feedback unless it comes in the form of an angry twitter mob, or rather, is just one guy on twitter that complains about universal medallions that makes steve feel sad.

Sorry to say, probably never gonna happen because reasons, it's not like the architecture isn't already there, they had to consciously go in and fundamentally change it to not work this way.

Sad to say I think you're exactly right on every point you've made here... 😢 ...I hope DE eventually realizes that there's no point to make such heavy-handed development decisions for a game that they themselves don't even play very much, and I hope they realize that when they make us happy it'll make them happier too!

On 2020-10-28 at 8:56 PM, (XBOX)EPOSSTYLE said:

They dont think things through very often. 

Just make them work off an energy source that's far more plentiful in space than on planet effectively stopping it from being op and simultaneously having no need to keep separating our utility options. 

U can't use archwing here, "why" just bcuz?

I can use archwing in the caves on fortuna but not on POE, "why" just bcuz?

Long hallways cant use hoverboards, "why" just bcuz?

I didn't even think about all that, wow! Good point! Yeah it's sad the extent to which DE overlooks things... like for example, to this day, there's still hardly any reason to loot lockers and crates cause the loot still isn't worth the time...

On 2020-10-25 at 12:29 PM, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Honestly I'm way more concerned on DEs Logic with open worlds..

"Oh no, why do people don't like archwings"

*In the same breath*

Let's make units that one shot and destroy archwings in every open world.

I'm surprised there's no insta knockout with mechs tbh... it'd be interesting to conquer open worlds with a squad of one being on foot, one on a kdrive, one in a mech and 1 in an archwing. ^^

Yeah yeah, I know, it's possible to outrun and dodge those rockets, but why do they exist? Makes no sense. (Please don't mention amesha, that's a different can of worms)

Ugh yeah that always really got me! DE's all like "Hey go ahead and use Archwings in combat on open worlds if you like but also we're gonna strongly discourage you from doing that! Have fun!" At least make the rockets take 5 hits and not just 1, jeez...

Archived