Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

suggestion: QOL melee tweak

Nazaruth

So, call me boring but I usually go all out for melee and only ever use guns for utility or (rarely) for applying elemental status like corrosion. That said, I've noticed something that I feel could be slightly changed to the melee system  to make it more comfortable to use without changing how it works overall. 

Currently, while using any melee weapon that requires the "aim" button for a combo, you swap back to your currently equipped ranged weapon as soon as you stop attacking with melee if at any point in the attack streak you just did you performed one of these combos, regardless if the last combo you used involved this mechanic. This is particularly noticeable if you use the "Melee with Fire Weapon Input" feature with the hammer's "Crushing Ruin" stance mod. I find I sometimes jump from enemy to enemy and accidentally shoot the ground instead of swinging my weapon because of this. It's not so much a game breaking feature as it is annoying at times and I find myself outright equipping ranged weapons just for comfort's sake.

So what would be my solution for this? Give the players control of which key is used in combos in place of the former "block" key. have it be the aim button by default but give players the choice to swap it, especially when there are keys used to swap weapon functions that, as far as I can tell, are used for nothing else. This would give players a way to feel more comfortable using melee and it wouldn't affect the controls for players who simply don't care about this issue. Implementation might be tricky depending on how they coded this interaction but it shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish and it would sure make me vary my play style more.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Am I just complaining about an irrelevant issue? share your thoughts, as I'm curious to hear them.

1 hour ago, Nazaruth said:

So, call me boring but I usually go all out for melee and only ever use guns for utility or (rarely) for applying elemental status like corrosion. That said, I've noticed something that I feel could be slightly changed to the melee system  to make it more comfortable to use without changing how it works overall. 

Currently, while using any melee weapon that requires the "aim" button for a combo, you swap back to your currently equipped ranged weapon as soon as you stop attacking with melee if at any point in the attack streak you just did you performed one of these combos, regardless if the last combo you used involved this mechanic. This is particularly noticeable if you use the "Melee with Fire Weapon Input" feature with the hammer's "Crushing Ruin" stance mod. I find I sometimes jump from enemy to enemy and accidentally shoot the ground instead of swinging my weapon because of this. It's not so much a game breaking feature as it is annoying at times and I find myself outright equipping ranged weapons just for comfort's sake.

So what would be my solution for this? Give the players control of which key is used in combos in place of the former "block" key. have it be the aim button by default but give players the choice to swap it, especially when there are keys used to swap weapon functions that, as far as I can tell, are used for nothing else. This would give players a way to feel more comfortable using melee and it wouldn't affect the controls for players who simply don't care about this issue. Implementation might be tricky depending on how they coded this interaction but it shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish and it would sure make me vary my play style more.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Am I just complaining about an irrelevant issue? share your thoughts, as I'm curious to hear them.

shia labeouf agree GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I've honestly never thought about rebinding this key because it feels pretty natural with a controller. The way it currently works is pretty good, IMO. I'm just not sure why this change would be better than what is currently available. 

37 minutes ago Leqesai said:

shia labeouf agree GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I've honestly never thought about rebinding this key because it feels pretty natural with a controller. The way it currently works is pretty good, IMO. I'm just not sure why this change would be better than what is currently available. 

Maybe so. I feel it a bit more because I play on PC (mouse&keyboard) and I will admit it's not an issue with a lot of weapons, but the fact that it happens causes a bit of an annoyance when hopping from enemy group to enemy group. Truth is it wouldn't change anything for people who don't use the feature and it would players to rebind it if they'd like. It also takes very few resources to implement such a small change that would at best make combat a bit more comfortable and at worst change absolutely nothing for anyone.

Archived