Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Lotus Voice Sounds Too Processed To Me - Less Emotion / Character Comes Through

Salvo1

Personally I think I'll wait till the codex clears this up, I'm in the camp who still wants the lotus to be a human or otherwise sentient living creature. If she turns out to actually be an AI that's one thing but if she's human the modulation on top of her voice is far too heavy handed in my opinion.

It all comes down to how good are our comms.

After all that's still FTL comm system, so even if it's crappy at least it's realtime over interplanetary distances, something that is NOT available by using radio waves or even laser transceivers.

Yep, the direction for the "new" Lotus will be more like the Gradivus event Lotus.  We are working to re-record all her old lines and get them in the game asap.

One really cool thing that we are excited about is that her voice processing is done run-time in the engine.  So we will be able to fine-tune the sound of her voice throughout the entire game with the adjustment in one central location... instead of having to re-process all the voice clips individually.  Once all the clips are in the game we will get all the tuning underway.

Awesome, an Ice Queen will be then.

I really hope this on-the-fly re-processing isn't CPU-intensive.

The new voice is getting there but its not there yet, it is better then the old voice which i found very annoying. So glad that they trying out new voice actors. Also I hopt they fix the spamming of voice recordings. So she doesnt repeat every thing.

Edited by genclaymore

It all comes down to how good are our comms.

After all that's still FTL comm system, so even if it's crappy at least it's realtime over interplanetary distances, something that is NOT available by using radio waves or even laser transceivers.

It has nothing to do with our comm when it comes to the default voice distortion. You hear the distortion in the Arid Fear event video for Alad, Vor's "The Call" trailer voice + in-game, all in-game Grineer voice, etc.

• 1 month later...

1. The Lotus is NOT AI. Go prove she's AI if you're going to say that. Ugh.

2. Old Lotus is better. This one seems a little dead inside.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2RR6KBlcs8&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dr2RR6KBlcs8&has_verified=1'>This is the best Lotus I get chills every time. How much plat to get that reverb, delay, and high-end clarity? As someone who produces audio, I'd actually really kill to be able to have control of the mix myself.

Edited by VegetableBasket

While DE is being carefully and intentionally vague about who or what Lotus is, the new voice screams that it's an AI at the top of its lungs. Then again, maybe it's just that we've been conditioned to think that heavy distortion and processing == rampant AI. I mean, when else does it even come up, ever?

Seriously, though, soon as I started hearing the endless flat monotones, I started wondering how long before we get the "LOTUS IS AN ESCAPED SENTIENT YOU GUYS" plot bomb. It's not necessarily a *bad* voice, but I mourned the loss of the Grineer's English voice clips, too. :<

While DE is being carefully and intentionally vague about who or what Lotus is, the new voice screams that it's an AI at the top of its lungs. Then again, maybe it's just that we've been conditioned to think that heavy distortion and processing == rampant AI. I mean, when else does it even come up, ever?

Seriously, though, soon as I started hearing the endless flat monotones, I started wondering how long before we get the "LOTUS IS AN ESCAPED SENTIENT YOU GUYS" plot bomb. It's not necessarily a *bad* voice, but I mourned the loss of the Grineer's English voice clips, too. :<

The term 'rampant AI' leads me to Cortana. 

+1 for Grineer English.

I used to not like the "valley girl" voice of the Lotus, but the more processed ones have ironically made me appreciate the earlier lines more.

I'd always personally imagined the Lotus as a middle management type- someone who hands down contracts from a higher authority to the Tenno under her command. In AI terms this would be more like a subroutine.

Her earlier lines, particularly about incoming Infested, made her sound almost gleeful at the violence she was about to witness, and that's a GREAT characterization for her. If I was a middleman in charge of space ninja, I would barely suppress my glee at getting to send them to kill things for me. It's a power trip, and the early lines have more "character" to them as a result. The Lotus loves her job, which makes me love mine. :D

You pretty much hit dead-on what made me fall in love with Lotus, one of those little things that really helped draw me into the game and get me hooked.  That sort of "gleeful morbid interest" tone in the old voice clips was like a massive untold backstory in and of itself.

While I miss the old clips and still prefer them for the aforementioned reasons, the new ones turned out better than I was expecting.  Some of the ones used in previous events and stuff sounded pretty goofy to me and had me worried that Lotus would be changed into some strange dubstep track where you can pick out a few Microsoft Sam words, but in all the missions I played today I could hear her words clearly and her tone was...quite soothing.

Now, if I could just get a clip of the old "Something's wrong.  There's a heavy unit approaching..." to use as the notification sound for my phone, I would be sooo happy...

Edited by BLOODGAZMS

Lotus HAS no personality. For all we know, she's a computer! There's no lore in this game besides the little snippet from the codex surrounding Excalibur and Stalker...and maybe the first PS4 WF trailer, and all that told us was that Vor got a rework and that the Grineer are bad men doing bad things in the Void for reasons we don't care about. She can sound all digitized to me. It's fine. How about we fix the crippling issues with Armor Scaling, or perhaps drop rates?

I think the biggest problem with the new Lotus is the lack of consistency. Sometimes her voice is all echo other times its just too heavy on the synthesized voice, and yet still other times the volume increased drastically to where it drowns out the in game action. It's as if the DE scuttled something that didn't really need an overhaul in favor of a complete clusterf*ck.