Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riot shield melee class

Redpaws

I'd really like to see a new melee class that's just a shield, similar to the shield lancer shields. Much larger, bulkier shields than those founds in the sword and shield class, and just like shield lancers, players should be able to use the shield with a one handed secondary, like you can with glaives. With the shields being more bulky, it should be worn on the back instead of remaining on the wrist in a collapsed down state, and will always be wielded with the left arm when not holstered.

It should share the same large block angle as sword and shield (70°) when idle or aiming, and let you still block when shooting, but in a much smaller angle. Maybe 30° or something (smallest block angle is 45°, for comparison), so you can only really block what you're aiming at when shooting. Blocking while shooting could also be limited to only when you're aiming and shooting.

For the stance itself, it should be focused on plenty of shield bashing, and using the edge of the shield, with damage multipliers on the lower end but a lot of forced staggers/knockdowns, with a decent ground finisher multiplier and a fairly large ground slam AoE.

I know, don't have many specific details for a shield. I've just always wanted to use a gun and shield like the shield lancers does. That grineer shield could even be turned into an usable weapon!
Thoughts?

A nice idea for sure, a ballistic shield / riot shield, with the use of a single hand secondary allowed. I would also like to see this concept realized, purely because I like shields. For a combat stance I think it could be based on attacks using the edge as a blade, and shots that knock the enemy down, allowing you to do an easy execution. Unfortunately, however, I believe this may have little success, as the shield I doubt could have a high speed and range, resulting in a weapon almost for fun.

3 hours ago, Enderman20 said:

A nice idea for sure, a ballistic shield / riot shield, with the use of a single hand secondary allowed. I would also like to see this concept realized, purely because I like shields. For a combat stance I think it could be based on attacks using the edge as a blade, and shots that knock the enemy down, allowing you to do an easy execution. Unfortunately, however, I believe this may have little success, as the shield I doubt could have a high speed and range, resulting in a weapon almost for fun.

I think it should instead provide buffs for blocking damage. Like adding shields per 1000 dmg blocked, reflecting projectiles that deal enemy health as true damage for a short periord of time, or allowing you to regain some ammo

Something like that

20 hours ago, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

Like adding shields per 1000 dmg blocked, reflecting projectiles that deal enemy health as true damage for a short periord of time, or allowing you to regain some ammo

I think this might be more of a single weapon passive ability, or a mod to add, rather than an all weapon ability. Like an amalgam mod, which also gives you an offensive passive effect, not purely utilitarian, maybe that for every x reflected damage, the next hit will have a y chance of being a critical, or applying status, or both, and it would be indifferent to the probability critical and status of the weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

Any special effects should be weapon specific, not class specific.

There's plenty of styles that could be possible for a larger shield that doesn't have to be able to fold together. Spiked shields, shields with bladed edges, the two grineer shields that already exist. Of course there could be larger ones that do fold together, like a large Corpus energy shield of some sort. The big things should be a focus on CC (lots of staggers/knockdowns/lifts) in the stance, and being able to block while shooting a pistol. Oh, and for all the stance attacks to only use the left arm for the swinging, so the same animation set works both with and without a pistol in the right hand.

Archived