Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More/better sniper rifles

(NSW)Defg213

18 hours ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

The game could use some mission type that actually would fit a sniper rifle.

Something stealthy at long range. Our current stealth missions (spy/resque) are still having us run through a crowded hallway, bashing a melee stick left and right, untill we hit a specific room where we break the alarms, be unseen for a short while, only to run off through another crowded hallway, ignoring stealth for the sake of speed.

If for example on a resque mission, the entire map would be treated as the prison room, with lots of large outdoors-areas you had to cross to infiltrate into a prison facility with fewer but tougher enemies, who might run off to an alarm button if they spot you with a timer to maybe even fail your mission, equipping a sniper rifle would actually be a useful thing. Maybe even nullifier towers to deny invisibility stealth-cheese (of which im extremely guilty) would make us have a good look around before running into whatever we see moving.

The sniper scope would be great as binoculars too.

If something like this would exist in game, i think sniper rifles would have an actual use apart from simply being an eidolon tool. This might even cause more fun styles of sniperrifles to pop up in the developer's minds.

The blueprints and parts for said new snipers might even be hidden in caches similar to sabotage caches in these missiontypes.

Currently, there's simply no mission where i would realistically pick a sniper rifle instead of a bullethose, beam or explosiongun to chew through the hordes.

Sorry for the textwall, i wasn't planning a long one, but i got brainstorming a bit..

I would argue that's a matter of opinion. Snipers might be trickier to use at shorter ranges, but it can be done. My Mirage build is permanently set up with the Vectis for instance. And just because a lot of players speed through a lot of mission types, that doesn't mean you can't go solo and play it your way. Rescue in particular I tend to play solo so I can ensure maximum points for the best quality specters. Sometimes I don't feel like cloaking the whole way through and I bring a silenced weapon instead to quietly eliminate the guards.

You also mentioned using sniper rifles on Eidolons, but sniper rifles are also just generally useful on open world maps as a whole. Maybe a little less useful on Deimos as most enemies will rush your position constantly, but they're good at taking down the Carnis (giant purple/red centipedes) who tend to stay at range sniping you themselves, as well as the Jugulus (giant fleshy towers) when modded for high damage/crit builds. They're also very useful in taking out Tendril Drones (floating screaming balls of tentacles that latch onto your head) if you spot them before they spot you. But on both the Plains and the Vallis sniper rifles easily out-range most enemies and are very effective when the objective at hand doesn't require you get up close to the enemy.

It all comes down to how you like to play the game.

Ironically Zenith is better sniper than actual sniper rifles with how the game mostly take place on small rooms and hallways, I miss the glitch where you can stay on Semi-auto mode forever, dunno why they haven't make any sniper with similar gimmick.

On 2021-02-06 at 11:18 PM, (NSW)IronElemental said:

The game could use some mission type that actually would fit a sniper rifle.

Something stealthy at long range. Our current stealth missions (spy/resque) are still having us run through a crowded hallway, bashing a melee stick left and right, untill we hit a specific room where we break the alarms, be unseen for a short while, only to run off through another crowded hallway, ignoring stealth for the sake of speed.

If for example on a resque mission, the entire map would be treated as the prison room, with lots of large outdoors-areas you had to cross to infiltrate into a prison facility with fewer but tougher enemies, who might run off to an alarm button if they spot you with a timer to maybe even fail your mission, equipping a sniper rifle would actually be a useful thing. Maybe even nullifier towers to deny invisibility stealth-cheese (of which im extremely guilty) would make us have a good look around before running into whatever we see moving.

The sniper scope would be great as binoculars too.

If something like this would exist in game, i think sniper rifles would have an actual use apart from simply being an eidolon tool. This might even cause more fun styles of sniperrifles to pop up in the developer's minds.

The blueprints and parts for said new snipers might even be hidden in caches similar to sabotage caches in these missiontypes.

Currently, there's simply no mission where i would realistically pick a sniper rifle instead of a bullethose, beam or explosiongun to chew through the hordes.

Sorry for the textwall, i wasn't planning a long one, but i got brainstorming a bit..

Mission types and enemy types. Possibly a damage rework.

Issue is, most AoE options deal big enough damage to be more than viable options against single-target beefcakes. So when those few do crop up, it's still a viable option to keep using it.

Weapon switch time is a factor too. Since you can't reasonably swap to a different weapon to deal with a new situation with how fast situations change, the weapons can't be too specific.

Archived