Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Bosses/Bigger Enemies In Open Worlds.

(PSN)chris1pat8twins

As the title says, I feel like there needs to be more bosses or bigger enemies in open worlds. And I’m not talking just complex ones either. More like a Wolf of Saturn Six variety. Big and tanky. 

Don’t know about the rest of y’all but I kind of bored dealing with 2 types of enemies, the ones who are ridiculously powerful yet squishy with the right team. Or very complex. Ex: Thumpers requiring busting their knee caps. I feel like enemies who are huge, tanky, and have a decent arsenal would be fun. Vs just being annoying. 

Honestly I’ve been picturing a more advanced Dauntless/Monster Hunter World like game for a while now. Got like 50 different monster ideas that I haven’t seen used before in like 10 different environments. Besides the major differences in monsters, the fighting style is different. More fast paced. 

So I’ve been picturing warframe having similar concepts. Most of them are infested. But some could still be giant machines and such. Don’t expect a lot but at least a few for each open world. 

Originally I thought of a giant infested boss for the Plains. Like basically an infested queen. Basically picture an infested spider and Hydra in one. One that requires destroying all 3 heads in order to deal damage to the main body. After a certain amount damage and/or time, the heads will grow back and have to be destroyed again. At different levels of health the boss gets harder. For this one she would call a swarm of infested to ambush you. Later, she will summon juggernaut behemoths to her aid. 

For a Volcanic Frame concept I added a new thumper category type boss. One that’s more complex than regular thumpers yet less annoying. Trying to shoot just the knee caps while it’s constantly moving is pretty annoying. And figured the thumpers would drop the parts for the frame. But basically picture a larger thumper that requires weakening its defenses before flying inside which turns into a sabotage mission. 

That sort of thing. Currently picturing other bosses/bigger enemies. But I don’t want to get too into it unless others offer some suggestions. So it would be greatly appreciated. Right now the open worlds just feel empty to me. Like there could be more. Way, WAY more. Fighting the same boring bosses with the same boring yet annoying routine gets old very quick. Especially when certain objects or goals requires fighting them a lot. Figured enemies that are tricky, hard to track, almost unpredictable. Could even be different variants to make preparing for them difficult. 

I kinda like the idea, the issues however, is that Dauntless and Warframe are two different genres of games. That and tanky bosses often times are more annoying in Warframe than anything else, as there is no real strategy other than A. Hit weak point a lot or B. Keep shooting it until it dies.

Though I will say more bosses would be interesting and add some variety to the game, however they would need to have a few things added so they don't feel like they are just in the for the heck of it.

1. Unique Mechanic special to that boss: They should have something that sets them apart from the rest, a gimmick that fits with their faction but isn't too similar to other gimmicks. An example of this would be the Zealoid Prelate and the way that they can be damaged is by light. Or the Ropalolyst fight with the energy beams and such. 

2. Fun to fight in either regular star chart and steel path: The issues with the way Steel Path works is very obvious, however the enemies got the worst part of it are the bosses in Warframe. They just got a heap or armor and health and shields and don't do anything different mechanic wise. They should be fun to fight in either type of more. One of the worst offenders of this is the Ropalolyst in my opinion, it is just annoying to fight with how many shields it has that can only be damaged by void energy in SP.

3. Loot: The loot should scale with how difficult the boss. Maybe instead of just dropping blueprints for a Warframe or weapon, they drop a good chunk of resources from the planet they are on. Like Infested boss dropping a decent amount of plasmids or nano spores. Make them drop something worth the effort and make it work with the planet they are on. 

4. Lore relevance: All bosses have some lore attached to them that make them who they are. If newer bosses are to be added, they should have reasons for suddenly appearing on the Star Chart and should have unique locations attached TO their lore and character so they fit in. Almost every boss save a few have unique arenas of sort that relate to the boss and their lore. This adds some spice to them.

These are just some ideas of what I believe make a good boss in any game. Of course this could vary from person to person.

As for ideas:
They are located in Fortuna and threaten to turn it back into a desolate wasteland, erasing all the progress and people.

A Boss who works with puzzles. An ancient Orokin Cephalon that has turned rouge and hostile and is attacking people. Centuries ago they were humble and peaceful, but after years and years of silence, stuck in a vault with no one to help and ultimately being released by the Tenno, who they blame for the death of the Orokin and locking them away, seeks vengeance. They are tied to puzzles that must be completed, these puzzles involve going in between two points in time, the past and present, of an area and solving time riddles or puzzles along the way, each time damaging the Cephalon when they are done.

By defeating the large Cephalon by it's own games, the player is rewarded small, but still worth while, items like void traces, argon crystals that take 48 hours to decay instead of 24 hours, blueprints for Warframes that can control time to some degree (like Limbo and Protea). They can have a large loot pool for multiple Orokin-themed items and maybe drop cosmetics. 

This idea can very much be fleshed out more, but I'd like to just throw in an idea to help with the conversation.

30 minutes ago, (XBOX)ScooterLaroo said:

This idea can very much be fleshed out more, but I'd like to just throw in an idea to help with the conversation.

Well that was the purpose of my last paragraph. The more people are willing to band together on a concept, the more likely the developers are gonna take noticed and consideration. 

When I mentioned Dauntless and Monster Hunter earlier I was talking about an entirely different game in mind. One that was more of their gameplay but slightly faster pace with trickier monsters to deal with. I wasn’t meaning that Warframe should have the same concept but the idea of fighting big unique bosses that don’t follow the typical no strategy rules. 

There’s quite a bit I’ve imagined. Even thought of some lore to go with them bs them just randomly appearing. Course that’s mostly gonna be up to DE since it’s their game and only they really know the direction they are trying to go, lore wise. 

The Eidolons for example require a specific team, each player with their own roles in order to farm multiples in a single night. Which can be a pain. The idea of being time limited and only they drop a very valuable resource makes it hard to really enjoy the boss fight. Makes it feel more like a chore. 

So the bosses I was picturing would be similar in that they require a certain team set-up and strategy to defeat. But without all the rushing being forced. 

More loot and such is pretty obvious. Even made a post earlier on how Steel Path lacks the rewards deserving of those who go through it. Pretty annoying when I can level up faster against level 40-50 enemies than steel path. That’s the biggest one. But some people don’t seem to care about steel path. Some argue against such things just for the heck of it. 

Now I’m picturing dozens of different bosses for each faction. Trying to decided the best ones is kind of hard. And since I’m not a very good drawer, I can’t exactly post any concepts to get ideas going. 

When I made the Volcanic frame earlier, I tried to create a lore based around a new thumper like boss. One that is much larger and has more in its Arsenal. Including air and ground support. Part of the objective would be weakening its defenses from the outside. Once done you would have to basically bust your way in, similar to how you land inside of bases in Railjack missions. Once inside you basically got to find the main reactor and destroy it. But once you get to it, there would be a new enemy who guards it. This type of grineer doesn’t fight like the others. And projectiles are less effective against him, making melee users or builds more useful for this fight. And he has like 3 different modes he goes into depending on how many bars of health he has remaining. He was the original concept I made of a grineer capable of breaking your warframe’s back. Except he leaves you helpless and vulnerable on the ground which you can still use your Tenno to avoid fatal damage. Umbra would still try to move and shoot with a secondary. Once defeat, you blow up the reactor which requires you leaving a safe distance. Obviously not as large of an explosion like what Fortuna spiders have, but still enough to get you running. If anything, there would be like a radius in your map to tell how far you need to get from it. Similar to the fomorian. 

That’s just one though. I’ve pictured the thumpers being changed to be different from each other besides health and damage. Kind of picturing grineer styled necramech at this point. Basically they tried to copy the necramech design but couldn’t completely get everything down. But theirs are much larger and have different weak spots that need to destroyed before the warframe basically busts in and pulls the pilot out. Picturing a lot more infested considering how monstrous many of them can be. And even pictured a better plague star boss besides and re-colored lephantis. 

Heck, I’m surprised they haven’t brought back the J3 Golem as a new more permanent Railjack boss. Introduce an infested Archwing as part of the reward. 

But the trials were the most complex type missions. Be nice if they made more similar to them. Maybe not as large and requiring 8 players. But still have multiple objectives and a final more complex boss at the end. 

But either way, it’s hard trying to figure out new enemies based on warframe currently style. The ones I keep picturing are more unique and complex. The grineer enemy I tried to create was basically a boxer that uses the Korrudo. Fights with quick jabs and kicks. But if you drop the first bar of his health, he fights closer to Fist type melee like the Furrax, and will grab your frame to break its back and leave it immobile for a short period. With only one bar left, he basically stands almost gorilla style considering how weakened he is and will use more charges and heavy slamming type moves. Including grabbing your frame to slam it around or use it as a club to smack other nearby players before throwing you. But he would only be part of a larger boss battle. Unless DE decides to use him in regular missions. Like after completing a sabotage mission, he will spawn to block your path to extraction and requires defeating him to leave. 

I’ve pictured a more resident evil like infested missions and assassin. One that does more than just grab you. Could even leave a giant infested boil on your frame to allow you to lose control of your frame and attack your teammates unless they or you as your Tenno can shoot it off. And could be a bit more grotesque compared to other infested. Closer to how Nidus does his transformation when his mutation is high enough. The enemies wild look kind of normal but have more of Inaros’s agile stance. After being killed they will lay there for a period before their bodies burst and spawn a more infested version. Could see a rescue mission turning out to be a trap that lures you into an infested ambush. Where you hear someone calling for help but when you open the door, an infested jumps and tackles you, forcing you to tap buttons to get them off or else they’ll constantly damage your health. 

Be nice to have more animations. Where enemies actually pend you down and requires pressing certain buttons to get free. Add more sword play with a talker where his health is divided into 3 and requires not only performing a “mercy” to reduce each bar, but during such requires pressing certain buttons to pull off or else the stalker will shrug you off and deal a lot of damage. Cause as of right now, he is a joke.

There’s a lot to discuss. 

Archived