Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

anyone have any suggestions on warframes and weapons to take to steel path

Sil3ntSilus

So ive been trying to start doing steel path missions and ive been following guides on how to tackle it. 
But no matter how i try to tackle it, all my guns are as effective as trying to kill a elephant with a hair dryer.

I've modded my ignis wraith for high crit chance and damage as well as viral to by pass armor but it still takes 10 seconds (almost 2 minutes of constant fire against noxes and high armored targets like heavy lancers and light machine gunners) to widdle them down to 0 health which is just not good enough.
and this is only level 101 - 103 its going to be impossible on higher missions.

I've tried pairing weapons with frames that suck up enemies and knock em off their feet and it works somewhat. but in large open spaces the range for the suction ability of vauban or tornado ability of zephyr barely reach 5% of the enemies around and all the enemies instantly knock out frame sheilds and health in a short burst of shots.

its also that there are not enough mod slots to kit out a frame to be both tanky and ability abusers. vauban and zephyr have such low amount of armor, sheilds and health that even the lightest of gun fire from enemies  obliterate you. its either kit the frame out for ability for vauban and zephyr its range, duration and efficiency but have very little space to add armor, sheilds and health to atleast make the frame last more then one burst of gunfire before going down. or make the frame tanky but very little ability increases.

I understand i am likely complaining here, but it just seems steel path is just player inaccessible.

extra health for level 100+ sure. maybe 25% extra armor and sheilds. sure but not double health, double/triple sheilds and armor.

ive bought a few galvanised mods from doing arbitrations but for the most part they seem to be as effective as just regular mods.

why did DE design steel path to be almost impossible alone?

5 minutes ago, Sil3ntSilus said:

But no matter how i try to tackle it, all my guns are as effective as trying to kill a elephant with a hair dryer.

I don't know, those have cords and could be a choking hazard. That would be quite effective at killing an elephant.

6 minutes ago, Sil3ntSilus said:

They designed it for a specific audience. I would say that it is intended for the people that can solo it. I am finding it relatively easy to solo - I do like to run with my friend though. And missions like Interception or defense are more fun with extra people. I imagine the issue is you, not the mode.

Personally, I like to completely ignore any CC abilities - I would not attempt to do it how you are, I doubt that it would work particularly well. Just for clearing missions quickly I like to take Ash Prime built for Blade Storm (with Augment). It just kills everything fairly easy - I use Arcane Trickery to stay invisible. I like to bring Amprex (Primary Dexterity 5), Tenet Cycron (Secondary Dexterity 5) and Paracesis. I can provide builds if it would be useful for you. But I do think it might be useful if you provided some of your builds.

• I primarily use Blade Storm and Paracesis to kill.

Octavia

https://overframe.gg/build/154945/octavia-prime/octavia-the-lazy-sociopath/ - is a decent build. keep resonator down, everything else is optional. in some missions you'll actually be better off not dropping her #1 (mallet) because the CC'd targets won't fire if only resonator's down.

steel path is about control.

damage is one way of maintaining control, being resistant to incoming damage is another.

but the simplest way is straight high range crowd control with good damage weapons to clean up any problems.

for weapons, what you're looking for is probably anything from the overframe.gg website's S tier (that's not a sniper rifle), with a mod setup that involves crit chance + crit damage + multishot/melee-range + viral (for general purpose) + fire/attack speed

There are loads of other ways to deal with it, i'm just suggesting a general purpose starter solution to a large number of the steel path problems.

Kuva nukor, Stropha, Loki / Octavia depending on mission. Primary also depends on mission but I rarely need them in SP.

Loki with equinox rest / rage for everything but survival and defense, octavia for those two. Get the augment for her #2 ability and you can basically AFK on defense, and only use 1, 3, and 4 for survival. Sleep enemies on intercepts with Loki.

This isn't really the place for this sort of Topic....

But... Since I'm already here....

13 hours ago, Sil3ntSilus said:

I've modded my ignis wraith for...

And here's Problem Number one....

The Ignis Wraith is not Highly Reccomended for its power.... It's highly Reccomended for its Utility and Versatility....

It's a nice weapon to have... But it's not something you should be expecting to Dominate Steel Path with.... But it will get you Through if you are patient enough 👍...

high crit chance and damage as well as viral to by pass armor but it still takes 10 seconds (almost 2 minutes of constant fire against noxes and high armored targets like heavy lancers and light machine gunners)

Just so we're clear.... Viral Damage doesn't bypass Armor.... Only Slash Bypasses Armor and even then it's the Slash Status Effect that does the Actual Bypassing and not the Slash Damage itself.... You can then use the Viral Status Effect to increases the Damage of your Slash Procs by Double or even Triple The Amount....

I've tried pairing weapons with frames that suck up enemies and knock em off their feet and it works somewhat. but in large open spaces the range for the suction ability of vauban or tornado ability of zephyr barely reach 5% of the enemies around and all the enemies instantly knock out frame sheilds and health in a short burst of shots.

Grouping is a Great Idea... 👍.... However if that doesn't work then Try using the Level Design to group the Enemies for you like Hallways or Rooms with only 1 or 2 Exits...

its also that there are not enough mod slots to kit out a frame to be both tanky and ability abusers

Pretty Much....

And now you see what people use Shield Gating Builds so much.... It's the only setup that allows you to Actually mod for your Abilities and requires fewer Slots for Survivability....

Quickthinking Builds are probably the Worst of them all since those Require I think 4 Slots on Survivability Alone 😱... That's literally half of your Warframe 😭

vauban and zephyr have such low amount of armor, sheilds and health that even the lightest of gun fire from enemies  obliterate you. its either kit the frame out for ability for vauban and zephyr its range, duration and efficiency but have very little space to add armor, sheilds and health to atleast make the frame last more then one burst of gunfire before going down. or make the frame tanky but very little ability increases.

I don't know about Zephyr but you are Spot on about B👀Ben.... He requires alot of Everything for his Abilities to work... Especially Bastille.... The number of Captives it can Hold scales with Ability Strength... And the Default Value is only 12 I believe.... So even at 200 Strength it won't hold more than 24.... And In The Steel Path you are going to Encounter far higher Numbers....

Technically it seems like you can have an Infinite number Of Bastille at once.... But the Duration isn't all that High and energy is a Real Problem on The Steel Path....

Soooo yeah....not exactly fun times for B👀Ben....

I understand i am likely complaining here, but it just seems steel path is just player inaccessible

Well the only reason it even exists was to get Players to shut up about End Game.... Naturally it didn't work....

And DE only made it worse when they put Steel Path Exclusive Rewards there....

ive bought a few galvanised mods from doing arbitrations but for the most part they seem to be as effective as just regular mods.

It's important to note that The Status Overload Mods Specifically are bugged when used on Specific Weapons that have Projectile Travel Time.... The other Galvanized Mods to make a sizeable difference depending on how you build them.... What I mean by that is if it's possible to aquire Base Damage from a Different Source then you can remove those mods from your Weapons and replace them Primed Faction Mods for the Additional Multiplier....

However doing this is going to make your Weapons level less Consistent.... But Consistency is not something everybody cares about ...

Like I mentioned before.... It was just to get those Try Hards to Shut Up since they were constantly whining about "But where's my End Game" 😭....

The good news is you aren't forced to play a specific Warframe to do Steel Path. and you aren't really all that limited in terms of weapons either. Shotguns work, rifles work (including sniper rifles), AoE works and of course melee is ridiculously overpowered.

I completed Steel Path prior to Weapon Arcanes and Galvanized mods being released and I used various frames depending on mood: Ember, Nezha, Revenant, Hildryn, Ivara, Oberon, Frost, Limbo, Vauban etc. The list goes on. I mainly used Corinth, Tenora Prime, Vectis, Bubonico, Proboscis Cernos, Trumna and Rubico Prime, because I enjoy those weapons.

Generally speaking, on weapons you'd want to mod for viral + heat + slash, crit, maybe some damage if you struggle to get kill stacks on your galvanized mods (they are incredibly powerful). Slash tends to pair better with viral.

Melee, more or less the same: Crit, viral/heat, slash, some speed, range if you want, Condition overload if you want - condition overload is very powerful.

If you are looking to play in a way that you can take a few shots, mod your frame for some health+armor ( you don't need to stack it) and Adaptation (very powerful),  put Magus Repair/Magus Elevate on your Operator, and use the rest of the mod slots for abilities. 

If you aren't looking to play the "tank a few shots and heal" way, look into Shield Gating - it can make you effectively immortal, but it requires a very different modding setup and a dragon key for exploitation in some cases.

Honestly, how you want to go about doing SP depends on the frame want to use. Let us know your preferred frame and players should be able to give good builds.

I notice you mention Vauban. I liked Vauban so much I slapped an Umbra polarization on him. Currently I've got the three Umbra mods on there, Adaptation, Transient Fortitude,  Stretch, Augur Reach and Primed Continuity. Operator has Zenurik Tree and Magus Repair. I'm playing around with builds so it may change, but I did quick little test with him on a Grineer Extermination (Palas for SP incursion) and there weren't issues ( i used a Tenora Prime without a weapon arcane or galv mods, for the test).

Now the problem you talked about: Wide open spaces where it is simply too big for Vortex: Assess the situation. Use Bastille on one group of enemies, throw some Flechette mines in there and leave them - the mines will kill them. Focus attention on another group that is a threat. You can use the same tactic there if you want as well: Bastille into Flechette, in case you want a sip of coffee, or you can use the terrain to have some cover while firing on the enemies as well.

Good luck on your journey!

1 hour ago, Silligoose said:

If you are looking to play in a way that you can take a few shots, mod your frame for some health+armor ( you don't need to stack it) and Adaptation (very powerful),  put Magus Repair/Magus Elevate on your Operator, and use the rest of the mod slots for abilities. 

LoL... The Sheer Audacity in this Comment 🤣.

You are Completely Shameless...

2 hours ago, Lutesque said:

LoL... The Sheer Audacity in this Comment 🤣.

You are Completely Shameless...

Lol why? It's a great mod and will aid the author of the thread. I also want to see shield gating abolished, but currently it could help the author, so I suggested looking into it. 

Adaptation and max DR should still get "tweaked" though, along with enemy damage output (and then shield gating can get thrown out) :)

1 minute ago, Silligoose said:

Lol why? It's a great mod and will aid the author of the thread. I also want to see shield gating abolished, but currently it could help the author, so I suggested looking into it. 

Adaptation and max DR should still get "tweaked" though :)

LoL... You are a Terrible Person....

Shame on you...

2 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

LoL... You are a Terrible Person....

Shame on you...

Honestly, I'm laughing here. I don't see the issue. Please explain. Btw I'm adding edit I forgot: "Adaptation and max DR should still get "tweaked" though along with enemy damage output (and then shield gating can get thrown out) :)"

Just now, Silligoose said:

Honestly, I'm laughing here. I don't see the issue. Btw I'm adding edit I forgot: "Adaptation and max DR should still get "tweaked" though along with enemy damage output :)"

Ofcourse you don't... Despite multiple people's attempt to Explain it to you....

So yeah... I'm sorry but "Shame On You" is all you're gonna get until you magically figure it out on your own....

Just now, Lutesque said:

Ofcourse you don't... Despite multiple people's attempt to Explain it to you....

So yeah... I'm sorry but "Shame On You" is all you're gonna get until you magically figure it out on your own....

Nah, you simply don't have an actual, valid reason. Same old same old with you: Make a statement, don't back it up with valid reasoning. Anyway, enough going off topic here: this thread is to help the author. 

34 minutes ago, Silligoose said:

Nah, you simply don't have an actual, valid reason. Same old same old with you: Make a statement, don't back it up with valid reasoning. Anyway, enough going off topic here: this thread is to help the author. 

I did....

LoL... It's not my fault you didn't Read it....

I quoted you and gave you my reasons....

Read them whenever you are ready ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't kit Vauban out for duration. 

Seriously.  I main him.  Duration is a trap in non-defense missions. Efficiency, Strength, Range if you want to.  Then Flechette Orb everything.  150% strength flechette orbs costing 8 each are pretty effective.  Bastille is still useful, but obviously it's much more of a burst.  Then again, at 40 energy per use, who cares?  

My current general-use build on my Vauban Prime is Energy Siphon, Amar's Anguish, Continuity, Fleeting Expertise, the three Umbral mods, Carnis Carapace, Amar's Hatred, and Adaptation.  You are relatively durable (by Vauban standards - 1000 health, 695 armour, 300 shields), and you get 160% efficiency and 164% power strength at a loss of only 30% duration.  Then bounce around like a flea on amphetamines while flinging flechette orbs around like they're candy.  It's fun and surprisingly effective.  Bastille if you start having to deal with a group.  You can replace Amar's Anguish (or, if you're feeling a little brave, Adaptation) with a range increase if you want.  Also, this synergises well with Life Strike, since you get status effect immunity when you heavy attack. And teleport to who you're attacking. If you stop moving in a large open area, it will go VERY badly. Do NOT stop moving (you don't need to anyway, because the beauty of an orb is that it stays there killing things while you're somewhere else). Bounce around, heavy attack things when you need the immunity or the health, and fling flechette orbs down frequently.  It's effective even in Steel Path (though there it takes a lot more time than in normal play).  

For the truly interesting of temperament, trading Continuity for a range increase will drop you to 40% duration. This is, oddly, a big boost for flechette orb (because the range increase more than balances out the duration loss). Bastille becomes pretty iffy, though.  It's good for target-rich environments where things are moving quickly, though.  70% is more broadly flexible, so I use it more, but 40% can be very powerful.  EDIT: Though I swear I've seen a benefit from this, the wiki and everyone else swears that Flechette Orb isn't impacted by range improvements.  EDIT 2: My actual steel path build uses Transient Fortitude instead of Continuity, meaning 50% duration but almost 200% power strength.  

If you do try this, inverting his controls results in Orbs rotating on a hold and being thrown on a press.  I find this a massive improvement, but it DOES make it trickier to switch quickly mid-combat.  

Low-duration Vauban is a LOT of fun.   Try it.  

9 minutes ago, SimulatedKnave said:

Then bounce around like a flea on amphetamines while flinging flechette orbs around like they're candy.

Just so you know... You can only have a Maximum of 4 Of These Active at once....

Even with 30% Less Duration I don't think it's a Good Idea to fling them around Constantly....

You might be Better off Placing Them Strategically

13 minutes ago, SimulatedKnave said:

For the truly interesting of temperament, trading Continuity for a range increase will drop you to 40% duration. This is, oddly, a big boost for flechette orb (because the range increase more than balances out the duration loss).

I thought Fletchet Orbs had a Fixed Radius ? 🤔

• Critcal chance, critical multiplier, status chance, target radius, and max orbs active are not affected by weapon-specific mods, but are affected by some general buffs.

2 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Just so you know... You can only have a Maximum of 4 Of These Active at once....

Even with 30% Less Duration I don't think it's a Good Idea to fling them around Constantly....

You might be Better off Placing Them Strategically

I thought Fletchet Orbs had a Fixed Radius ? 🤔

• Critcal chance, critical multiplier, status chance, target radius, and max orbs active are not affected by weapon-specific mods, but are affected by some general buffs.

I do know that.  And I do place them strategically.  But given how fast they tend to kill things, you still end up flinging them out pretty quickly.  Shockingly, I do in fact have some idea how to play the frame I have 70% playtime on and do a non-standard build for.  

The wiki and community wisdom say no re range extension.  I would've sworn I've seen some benefit from it - the streaks from the nails certainly seemed to get longer.  Odd.  

43 minutes ago, SimulatedKnave said:

I do know that.  And I do place them strategically.  But given how fast they tend to kill things, you still end up flinging them out pretty quickly.  Shockingly, I do in fact have some idea how to play the frame I have 70% playtime on and do a non-standard build for.  

The wiki and community wisdom say no re range extension.  I would've sworn I've seen some benefit from it - the streaks from the nails certainly seemed to get longer.  Odd.  

Maybe they are Extended by Projectile Flight Speed.... Although I have no Clue how the Orbs would be getting a buff like that 👀

Archived