Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydriod rework - It all about the tenacles

(XBOX)Nightseid

Liquid form (passive) - whenever hydriod does a ground slide he shifts into a liquid state leaving behind a stream of water for a few seconds. Whenever hydriod touchs a liquid surface he shifts from a physical state to liquid state, decreasing the damage recieved from all projectile attacks.

Tempest barrage - now leaves temporary water spots on the ground. if tentacles swarm is active, tentacles will sprout from the water spots grabbing nearby foes. Water spots lasts for 5 seconds (default).

Tidal surge - leaves a stream of water on the ground temporarily. If Tidal surge is cast from undertow the wave is bigger; if the stream is connected Undertow it lasts until Undertow's duration expires. the If tentacles swarm is activated, tentacles will pop out of the wave stream grabbing and trashing nearby enemies. Water stream lasts for 5 seconds (default).

Undertow - no longer turning into a water puddle instead hydriod will creates a pool of water for X seconds that heals his allies over time or re-energize allies (we dont have enough warframes that restore energy). Casting tenacles swarm while undertow is active will cause tentacles to sprout from the pool causing them drag and drown enemies dealing corrosive damage over time. Base duration 10s; Base radius 8m. Up to 3 pools can be summoned at a time.

Tentacle swarm - stays pretty much the same but remove the charging mechanic. The charge mechanic slows hydriod down and with this rework players will have more control in how they will like to spread the tentacles.

Why these changes? Well the goal of this rework was not to completely overhaul hydriod's core abilities but add more synergy to them. Hydriod is fun but his powers are slow. His undertow ability makes him too stationary, which is opposite to how the game wants you to play even in defense missions, and his abilities dont seem to have the synergies of reworked and newer frames have. Lastly changing his passive is a means to give his fragile frame some added survival without having to add to his stats and I feel works with the idea of changing his local environment thru the use of his powers.

I like your balance and synergy suggestions. Your ideas are thematically appropriate.

When I originally read the description of Hydroid at the beginning of my tenno career, this is what I imagined:
bff5570f082aaa812337403d165d21fb.jpg

The synergy you have imagined is getting close to my original expectations for him.

Some things:

1. There's no reason to get rid of the dash from Tidal Surge: It's a good movement tool, and you could accomplish the same thing with tap/hold cast. Additionally, you can have the dash version of Tidal Surge leave the same trail as the wave.
  2. Having a passive that's dependent on abilities is annoying. Frames like Grendel and Baruuk effectively don't have passives, instead just having ability effects in that slot to give the idea that there's synergy. The buffs for standing on a liquid is fine, but there should be another passive in addition to it.
  3. Synergy opportunity between Undertow and Tidal Surge: Streams that connect to an Undertow pool gain the healing and energy restoration effects.
  4. It seems like Undertow is still limited to one pool in this rework, which shouldn't be the case. Assuming the values aren't extremely high, there's no reason why Undertow should be a worse Dispensary. Hydroid should be able to place more Undertows at a time (4 or 5 limit). Following point 3, connecting several Undertows should increase the potency of their effects.
  5. Tentacle Swarm really needs some more changes beyond what's included here: The Tentacles are terribly unreliable when it comes to grabbing enemies, and they still make it harder to kill enemies if you aren't using explosives. I'd suggest bringing back the damage scaling component of current Undertow and giving it to Tentacle Swarm's Tentacles, so that the Tentacles can more reliably kill enemies on its own.

If I have to change Tentacle Swarm.

'Produces one major tentacle that occasionally grabs enemy at [X] range, if enemies step within [x] range up to five enemies are instantly grabbed by several smaller tentacles that share any benefits from the main tentacle/50% of the main tentacle'

That way there's a guarenteed grab and a larger less-likely to grab tentacle.

21 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

I like your balance and synergy suggestions. Your ideas are thematically appropriate.

When I originally read the description of Hydroid at the beginning of my tenno career, this is what I imagined:
bff5570f082aaa812337403d165d21fb.jpg

The synergy you have imagined is getting close to my original expectations for him.

Thanks. Had to really think what is it about hydriod that makes him unquie and how to synergies the part of him to make more fun to play.

11 minutes ago, (XBOX)Ampathetiic said:

Some things:

1. There's no reason to get rid of the dash from Tidal Surge: It's a good movement tool, and you could accomplish the same thing with tap/hold cast. Additionally, you can have the dash version of Tidal Surge leave the same trail as the wave.
  2. Having a passive that's dependent on abilities is annoying. Frames like Grendel and Baruuk effectively don't have passives, instead just having ability effects in that slot to give the idea that there's synergy. The buffs for standing on a liquid is fine, but there should be another passive in addition to it.
  3. Synergy opportunity between Undertow and Tidal Surge: Streams that connect to an Undertow pool gain the healing and energy restoration effects.
  4. It seems like Undertow is still limited to one pool in this rework, which shouldn't be the case. Assuming the values aren't extremely high, there's no reason why Undertow should be a worse Dispensary. Hydroid should be able to place more Undertows at a time (4 or 5 limit). Following point 3, connecting several Undertows should increase the potency of their effects.
  5. Tentacle Swarm really needs some more changes beyond what's included here: The Tentacles are terribly unreliable when it comes to grabbing enemies, and they still make it harder to kill enemies if you aren't using explosives. I'd suggest bringing back the damage scaling component of current Undertow and giving it to Tentacle Swarm's Tentacles, so that the Tentacles can more reliably kill enemies on its own.

Nice suggestion.

I'll look over the rework and incorporate some of this.

1. I only removed the movement in Tidal surge because it is annoying to control in most maps however your point is good.

2. I look into adding a secondary Passive however hydriod current is really bad.

3. This synergy is interesting.

4. I feel this would cause the pools to have less range.

5. I was considering having the tentacles drag then drown the enemies it grabs into the water, like undertow currently works to remove them from the field and deal damage over time.

10 minutes ago, (XBOX)Nightseid said:

4. I feel this would cause the pools to have less range.

On the contrary, it would cause pools to have more range, as you'd be able to spread the Undertow areas over a large area. This would also allow you to vastly increase the amount of areas Tentacle Swarm is able to cover, making Hydroid a superb area control frame.

Imagine playing Interception with this: You'd be able to quickly dash from point to point, placing supportive Undertows on each one, allowing your allies to better hold the points on their own. When the enemies approach your territory, turn those Undertows into deadly traps that capture foes, as you rain down Tempest Barrages to soften the targets, combining with the kraken to quickly rip them apart. Then, once the intruders have been swept away, slide in to collect the loot and replenish using that same Undertow.

15 minutes ago, (XBOX)Ampathetiic said:

On the contrary, it would cause pools to have more range, as you'd be able to spread the Undertow areas over a large area. This would also allow you to vastly increase the amount of areas Tentacle Swarm is able to cover, making Hydroid a superb area control frame.

Imagine playing Interception with this: You'd be able to quickly dash from point to point, placing supportive Undertows on each one, allowing your allies to better hold the points on their own. When the enemies approach your territory, turn those Undertows into deadly traps that capture foes, as you rain down Tempest Barrages to soften the targets, combining with the kraken to quickly rip them apart. Then, once the intruders have been swept away, slide in to collect the loot and replenish using that same Undertow.

Cool. Ok, then what would be the recommended pool limit? About 3 pool can be active? With a range of 5m default?

Btw I added a few of your recommendations to the op.

• 3 months later...

Archived