Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Player Reactions To Derebecca's Update On 2.0 Elemental Order

Rajko

I made almost the same thread a month ago, and got 3 pages of people excited,

Rebecca posts, and everyone loses their minds :P

Hehe, my excitement at the design imposed constraint coming completely off might have got the better of me...

... But I regret nothing!

To actually get a reaction, I'm a touch worried this will also go undocumented for new players and they will be left going WTF why am doing Cold Gas damage when I should be doing Toxic Blast.

And

"OMFG these polarity placements suck!"

I can also feel the waves of Forma rage. "How dare DE do this after put 8 Forma into my may weapon at totally random spots!"

Edited by Brasten

I'll bet weapons with innate elemental damage will do that damage in addition to the mods, so you could have your heat sword do fire damage and blast damage at the same time, etc. If not then I guess it'll just make creating certain damage types easier to achieve on weapons that already do multiple types.

To actually get a reaction, I'm a touch worried this will also go undocumented for new players and they will be left going WTF why am doing Cold Gas damage when I should be doing Toxic Blast.

That's a really good point.  The tutorials are going to need a massive overhaul to explain how all this could work.  

Which means more oracle voice overs!  

I still need to try out the new tutorials, there flat was not one when I started.

And

I can also feel the waves of Forma rage. "How dare DE do this after put 8 Forma into my may weapon at totally random spots!"

That is my concern as well. My weapons do NOT currently run off an elemental base. (I go for armor penetration and raw damage) SO i havent used as much forma. But WOW. this is a radical turn.

How will AP mods play a role in this? There wasn't any mentioned combo for it, and I thought they wanted to wean off of AP mods a bit.

It will play no role in Elmental Combos. Please go read and look at the Damage 2.0 example images in the spoiler tags.

AP mods are getting move out of the Elemental zone and boost the Pierce base damage type. I expect Impact and Slash boosting mods to come eventually.

Edited by Brasten

Are you being sarcastic? That's an incredibly valid complaint. Up until now slot placement has been purely aesthetic. If it's going to affect the gameplay, then we need some convenient way of rearranging them without spending multiple forma.

Are you being sarcastic? That's an incredibly valid complaint. Up until now slot placement has been purely aesthetic. If it's going to affect the gameplay, then we need some convenient way of rearranging them without spending multiple forma.

He's being half sarcastic half reallistic.

You're dead right someone who's liked a weapon enough to put 8 forma into it deserves to have the ability to re-arrange without having to put yet ANOTHER Forma into the weapon.

I'm a little concerned also, my Synapse and gorgon have enough forma to build a nice functional dojo, between them.  I'd be surprised if nothing at all is done to help ease the old player base into the new damage system though.

I am being partly sarcastic. However I also kinda thought this sort of thing was going to happen eventually. That Forma being the extra system was going to give people who rushed it headaches. While I didn't exactly expect this kind of problem the more obvious one was that DE would release a new "super mod" that 100% replaced a more common mod BUT had a different polarity. At which point everyone's oh so careful Forma builds would get messed up.

Concentration vs Continuity comes to mind as a limited example.

When you push the edge of Optimization and Min/Maxing ANY change in the rules/system will likely break your build. Happens all the time in other styles of games. It is just a fact. If you play that close to the line eventually you'll fall off.

Edited by Brasten