Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host migration ... so far, happens in (and ruins) EVERY GAME

Ardicius

Once again, host migration during mission loading strikes. This time, right before mission started, while we were all in the 4 orbiters waiting ot load in screen. "Failed to connect to Host. You will be returned to multiplayer menu." and then this screen. We were trying to do lith fissure exterminate on mars, not some assassination mission.
ce5c3b079b64a09167e698a6ea1ddaf4.jpg

• Like 2

Eu tenho o mesmo problema quando fui caçar arcontes e quando tento jogar em grupo em Duviri, fiz mais de 8 tentativas e raramente consigo entrar em um grupo! Isso só acontece nas caças aos arcontes e no Duviri, provavelmente o DE quebrou alguma coisa e mais uma vez finge não ver os vários relatos de jogadores reclamando do mesmo problema! For many who say that the problem is the ping, ISP or router, I did the test with my neighbors who also play Warframe 30ms ping all of us using the same internet company, with optical fiber and guess what happened?? Host migration whenever we tried to enter Duviri or Archon hunts, sometimes we managed to enter only to have host migration right away...

Edited by Crash-Override

I recently started playing and two of my friends are helping me, one on a PS5 and one on a PS4 Pro while I'm on PC. We get this issue when all 3 of us are in a party and we try to start any mission, the only workaround is to start a mission first and then invite my 2 friends. Then after the mission is done, we get this error again and the squad is disbanded (happens 100% of the time). However, when just me and the PS5 player are playing it's fine, and when just them two are playing it's fine. 

Very frustrating experience to say the least.

Can confirm that this issue is still very much present. the only thing i can seem to do is solo play Diviri, If i try to do anything else i get kicked out of the party and host migrated or soft crash in loading screen if i try solo play in normal missions. You would think after 8 months someone would have figured this out by now, especially since it is preventing so many people from even playing the game.

I was in duviri experience and literally the whole game interface and character controlled became unresposive due to Host Migration... You could see enemies trying to attack me or my drifter doing its breathing animatinon, but game felt like it was frozen.

On 2023-05-08 at 3:16 PM, Ayala_Baleeiro said:

I was in duviri experience and literally the whole game interface and character controlled became unresposive due to Host Migration... You could see enemies trying to attack me or my drifter doing its breathing animatinon, but game felt like it was frozen.

Yeah. This is often an indicator that host migration is about to happen. Enemies may slow down, or stop moving/responding, or your character might. And after it hits, when the game finally loads back in, it acts as if you'd just beens standing there during the time it took to load, so you might get isnta-killed, or find that timers have counted down to 0 while you were waiting on it to load. It's extremely disruptive.

Doing a Sanctuary Onslaught run, I went with public matchmaking, 100 ping limit. Got in with a squad that was at Round 2. Host migrated while we were in Round 5. When everything loaded back in, none of my mods on my frame or weapons worked. So, I died a few times and gave up on reviving, just waited out the timer.

• 3 months later...

By far, the session management is the thing the most anoying...

-> simple host migration (lost the current power, may be left you alone on the mission, or just failed the mission instantly, exemple : when you play equinox and you want focus, the timer is runing, you lose your power and returning to night version without energy and surrounded by enemis, alone ^^)
-> session is full (so put me in a none full section... what are you waiting for ?)
-> session is unvailable (sometimes for no reasons, even with a friend with friend only activated...)
-> friends cant join because they are not allowed to do this mission (requirements quest for exemple) so its launched with me alone, without any warning for them
-> in some mission i dont want to extract but the squad extracting me
-> when you launch the misison and you have 50sec on the timer.
-> and sometimes you miss click and the timer is instant and find you a squad instant..

-> when you launch the mission, you join one guy but the misison is not launching. The guy left the squad so you are alone and you have to Relaunch the mission
-> people who force the launch of the mission just when your loading screen is over :)

it can makes me quit the game sometimes

Solutions ? Saving the missions parameters and finding a squad not full and clean, options for choosing the host before the mission launch if we know someone can leave during the game, having a confirmation before launching the mission or any system better than this weird timer, having the list of squads running and choose the squad i want to join, having an option to be the hostwhen i launch on "online" mod... i dont know there is some things to do, if cross play/cross save is possible that should be fine to adjust the session managment..

So now, most of the time (when friends are not connected) I play in solo and i spend less time in the game

with love :)

Edited by MrSimh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Posting to keep the this post alive.

This is still an issue, at about 36 matchup today and 4 worked (Complete game from start to finish). And for those mission I was the host.

I love this game and just came back from a long hiatus but I don't even want to play it anymore.
This issue is years old now and DE never tried to fix it. Sometimes it work without any problem for several day, sometimes it refuse to work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd resurrect this to say, still ongoing. Nearly 2024 now, literally two days off, still have this issue every four to five missions usually, though sometimes it's back to back. I thought it was just me cus admittedly I do have crappy internet, but I guess not. And 90% of the time, it kicks me to a solo mission, very rarely will I reconnect with the rest of the team. VERY annoying when trying to run a lot of relics and still trying to maximize the potential gains from each run.

Edited by TheRefinedHellion

So this started happening to me yesterday after I finished the war within quest and equipped the scepter you get from that.  

after trying everything including calling my isp and playing on a different platform ( it was fine on ps5), I found an article on warframe’s site suggesting it was a video problem…

now I had everything maxed out on a 4070ti running 1080p, my cpu is at 1% and my GPU at 35%, ping at less than 100ms. So no problems.  Still, I figured why not.  

I “solved” the problem in two ways, in both cases I tested off/on and it’s not a coincidence it actually works - I either put alll the settings to low, made sure dx12 was on and exited/launched the game, or I put the fps limit down from 144 to 60.  I don’t think I should have to do either, since my computer can handle it easily.  Still, obviously the game is unoptimized enough that this happens?

I’d like to narrow down the best setting to change and the trigger - I mentioned above it started happening after war within and using the scepter - because the latter lets me drain corpses and the former adds other features and I wonder if that puts the engine’s performance over the edge.   

2 hours ago, Anarl said:

the former adds other features and I wonder if that puts the engine’s performance over the edge

It likely put you in more eligible matchmaking pools (most people have completed TWW by now), which happened to have problems with connectivity. I run the game at 120fps on mostly high settings with no problems, and I don't think the routines that handle net connectivity are tied whatsoever to framerate (that would be very odd to dynamically change network traffic based on client fps rather than use intervals / ticks separate from rendering) or graphical fidelity. You could try to lower your ping matching limit and set your PC type to "desktop" in-game too, so it prioritizes you as host and you'd have no migrations in missions when you are.

I'd also update network drivers and use ethernet if possible on this PC just to ensure that it's not some outdated software or wireless interference causing sudden drops. Your EE log per session should tell you exactly when the timeout occurred if it's a host migration that puts you in a mission by yourself (default is 7.5s timeout IIRC) if you'd like to look into that as well.

21 minutes ago, Naroxas44 said:

It likely put you in more eligible matchmaking pools (most people have completed TWW by now), which happened to have problems with connectivity. I run the game at 120fps on mostly high settings with no problems, and I don't think the routines that handle net connectivity are tied whatsoever to framerate (that would be very odd to dynamically change network traffic based on client fps rather than use intervals / ticks separate from rendering) or graphical fidelity. You could try to lower your ping matching limit and set your PC type to "desktop" in-game too, so it prioritizes you as host and you'd have no migrations in missions when you are.

I'd also update network drivers and use ethernet if possible on this PC just to ensure that it's not some outdated software or wireless interference causing sudden drops. Your EE log per session should tell you exactly when the timeout occurred if it's a host migration that puts you in a mission by yourself (default is 7.5s timeout IIRC) if you'd like to look into that as well.

It’s really weird that it’s acting like a network lag issue, but I did try ping setting and the pc type is desktop already. 

no, this is a case of the game being poorly optimized and if too much is going on it doesn’t prioritize the network above rendering or something like that. 

regardless there is a 100% workaround people can use for this, completely in their control.  I’ll find the official article later which suggests these issues are due to graphics settings.  

edit:  here:  https://support.warframe.com/hc/en-us/articles/221074567-Multiplayer-Problems

Edited by Anarl

14 minutes ago, Anarl said:

I’ll find the official article later which suggests these issues are due to graphics settings.  

These are just generic "computer running slow / freezing app, turn stuff down" recommendations; the article even mentions disabling the enhanced engine, which isn't possible anymore so it's outdated and probably written at an extremely basic level. It's specifically referring to situations when the program stutters so much / freezes during an operation (that may affect the GPU) on an underpowered system that no routines can run.

Unless that's happening to you where it's freezing for 7s+, the networking threads should just keep running in the background regardless of frame rate. They run in parallel, and on different components (GPU handling most rendering, CPU handling network and I/O calls); while I'm sure both are called from some main process the engine controls, it should not prioritize one above another. I've never seen any engine handle it like that, and it doesn't exhibit that behavior for many people, even running the game at 300+ fps (which I'm confused why people even do since half those frames get thrown out, but I digress).

20 minutes ago, Naroxas44 said:

These are just generic "computer running slow / freezing app, turn stuff down" recommendations; the article even mentions disabling the enhanced engine, which isn't possible anymore so it's outdated and probably written at an extremely basic level. It's specifically referring to situations when the program stutters so much / freezes during an operation (that may affect the GPU) on an underpowered system that no routines can run.

Unless that's happening to you where it's freezing for 7s+, the networking threads should just keep running in the background regardless of frame rate. They run in parallel, and on different components (GPU handling most rendering, CPU handling network and I/O calls); while I'm sure both are called from some main process the engine controls, it should not prioritize one above another. I've never seen any engine handle it like that, and it doesn't exhibit that behavior for many people, even running the game at 300+ fps (which I'm confused why people even do since half those frames get thrown out, but I digress).

Agree - and since I have an intel 13500 cpu and a 4070ti, 500mb internet with low ping I should not be having this issue and lowering the settings shouldn’t fix it - but it did.  And then increasing it again really causes it to happen again.  And nothing else was running in the background, I disabled firewall, etc etc.  

I never got freezes fwiw, but mobs stop moving like in a lag situation before host migration. 

Edited by Anarl

I tested more last night, video settings definitely seem to work around this issue, recommend to all suffering.

With video settings maxed and 144fps, my cpu/gpu aren't even breaking a sweat.  But the problem happens at the start of every game. 

When I am host, the EE.log is full of this:

453.624 Phys [Warning]: Performance warning: created/destroyed static entities at runtime!
453.624 Phys [Warning]: Created entities:
453.624 Phys [Warning]:     LandingCraftDeco [/Lotus/Objects/Tenno/Ships/NoraShip/NoraShip_skel.fbx]

When I am not host, it has these:

• UDPDriver::TransportSend error A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately. ERROR 10035, address:
  • 86.109 Net [Error]: NetDriver::Update connection timeout detected! Destroying connection to <<ip address snip>> due to timeout of 7.5063.
    86.109 Net [Error]: Last send (seconds ago): 0, out packet: 3103, out pending ack: 3102, last ack: 1800, out seq: 32970, expected seq: 37330, most recent received packet: 3282
    86.109 Net [Error]: Lost packets: 866, acked packets: 520, in flight: 1302
    86.109 Sys [Info]: Server disconnected! [connection = 0]
    86.109 Game [Info]: HOST MIGRATION: local client trying to join new host: OfficialSlumped

Solution:  I was able to eliminate all the above and play multiplayer

• Turning on DLSS
  • reducing frames to 60fps
  • putting video settings to low.

4 hours ago, Anarl said:

When I am not host, it has these:

• UDPDriver::TransportSend error A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately. ERROR 10035, address:
  • 86.109 Net [Error]: NetDriver::Update connection timeout detected! Destroying connection to <<ip address snip>> due to timeout of 7.5063.

Yeah it's just having some network timeout then; error 10035 (WOULDBLOCK) indicates that you are no longer receiving any data in the read buffer from the host, or that your transport buffer is full (since it says TransportSend it's probably this one since so many are in flight / non-ACKed). The rest of the Phys warnings are just warnings for logging purposes - the EE log has a lot of things that are useless for anyone but devs and do not indicate any sort of error in user experience, so I wouldn't worry about those.

I honestly do not think it's anything related to graphics settings, even if it appears to be working, since those things should work independently and no one else seems to have this problem (many people on forums report running all high settings at 144+ fps). It seems more like something is causing sporadic disconnects to hosts during your sessions, and the messages lead me to believe it's purely network related.

That said, if it works for you that's fine - I'm just not convinced it's solely due to that reason alone, otherwise it would be systemic / in a hardware agnostic way.

58 minutes ago, Naroxas44 said:

Yeah it's just having some network timeout then; error 10035 (WOULDBLOCK) indicates that you are no longer receiving any data in the read buffer from the host, or that your transport buffer is full (since it says TransportSend it's probably this one since so many are in flight / non-ACKed). The rest of the Phys warnings are just warnings for logging purposes - the EE log has a lot of things that are useless for anyone but devs and do not indicate any sort of error in user experience, so I wouldn't worry about those.

I honestly do not think it's anything related to graphics settings, even if it appears to be working, since those things should work independently and no one else seems to have this problem (many people on forums report running all high settings at 144+ fps). It seems more like something is causing sporadic disconnects to hosts during your sessions, and the messages lead me to believe it's purely network related.

That said, if it works for you that's fine - I'm just not convinced it's solely due to that reason alone, otherwise it would be systemic / in a hardware agnostic way.

It’s not intermittent though , it’s every game when graphics are maxed, right at the start of the game, and never when turned down, and last night I flipped it back and forth like 5 times to be sure. 

I went as far as stack overflow and stopped myself from working in spare time :), but people suggested that error indicated using an inefficient udp api instead of async coding (everyone hates async code). So maybe the game is doing the netcode on the UI thread or something…. But anyhow I left DLSS on and problem solved.  

id love to help DE resolve this, but more want to help others who have this problem 

4 hours ago, Anarl said:

people suggested that error indicated using an inefficient udp api instead of async coding (everyone hates async code). So maybe the game is doing the netcode on the UI thread or something…. But anyhow I left DLSS on and problem solved.  

id love to help DE resolve this, but more want to help others who have this problem 

Did you wanna link the threads you used for reference? The only relevant things I'm seeing are related to error 10035, and wouldn't be applicable here. Even if the game isn't handling them asynchronously for whatever reason, unless the game freezes or the engine suspends the thread handling network I/O (which if it's the UI thread means the UI would become non-responsive, and it clearly hasn't suspended the network thread since logging is reporting "Net [Error]", which is the networking loop writing outputs to EE.log) it should not have that happen whatsoever. Programmers at DE will likely be confused as well, given the volume of players that don't have this issue, so it would need a lot more troubleshooting.

It seems specific to your system rather than the engine doing something wonky; I wouldn't want others who have host migrations to assume the solution is "only play game in low settings and use upscaling" when that's very often not the cause for them.

Getting strange host migrations too.

I play with my friend on the same network. He has it by a cable, I have it by WiFi.  Same router, same ISP, same room

When I host the game, everything is fine. When he does - I get kicked from party after every run.

When adding my second friend into party, from the same city as we're in(but not the same room this time), when I host - they're getting kicked out when starting a mission, not even loading into it. When my friend hosts, I get kicked out when starting a mission, not even loading into it, having to get a new invite while they're loading into mission to play with them both, and after completing a mission I also get kicked out again.

I have a pretty good internet connection, a pretty good PC, we're all on the same platform, and I've never had this problem before. I didn't play Warframe for about 2 years, and after all of this time and crossplatform update(also should mention that there wasn't any hardware changes on my device) it got to the stage where playing with friends is miserable at moments. I've also changed port on my client of the game so it won't conflict. "Analyze network" also doesn't tell anything strange. Firewall is disabled. No antivirus software is present except for Windows Defender.  

I will try to reinstall the game and change my DNS, but as I see, it doesn't really help for  most of the people that have this problem.

@RamWarezWare Yours sounds like some sort of NAT type issue or connection disconnect with squads - I've seen both reported here before, so it's not unique to you per se but could indicate an issue with your network (even if the hardware has not changed, your ISP tends to manage firmware and pushes updates if it's on their network, and their back-end also has updates and changes that can cause problems).

I tend to suggest for more generic issues like this that you try a VPN like cloudflare warp or something, that's just lightweight and free, to see if changing the network pathing and connection endpoints helps any. The main issue I'm seeing is people get kicked when you host and when others host you get kicked, so I'm wondering if you're having some timeout issue (as in, it's not keeping the connection or port open very long and when it doesn't hear anything, assumes clients leave and removes them from squad or vice versa). Most users with this issue report that this doesn't happen whatsoever in missions themselves, but only when waiting with people in squads in hubs / orbiter (prior to loading into one or being in a mission). You'd have to do some network diagnostics to really figure out what's going on and it's possible the game could do something to work with whatever this issue is, but the first step is figuring out exactly what is causing the disconnect (i.e. timeout, connection pathing problem, port being closed on network equipment, etc.) and then going from there.