Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snipers and Ranged Combat suffers a bit from Enemies with no fall off damage

(PSN)Frost_Nephilim

The advantage of ranged combat over close up combat is suppose to be that things are more safe, and while they are, i think the fact that enemies can still one shot you into oblivion from a ranged attack makes the playstyle still too unappealing, Personally.

I would like to propose an idea that could make the combat more fun, which is adding a damage cap depending on the range of an enemy. Enemies closer than 15m will have no damage cap, enemies between 15-30m will have 100 damage points to players as cap, enemies beyond 30m will have a cap of 50 (x4 for enemies with firerates at 1 or below).

(These numbers are just fillers to describe what im asking, if you think they need to be adjusted, imagine them with your own adjustments.)

50-100 damage is a small number against enemies, but against players its a lot. 5 enemies shooting you at once, each landing 2 bullets a second means they can deal 1,000 damage a second to you, anymore and it could still open a player into getting 1 shot, considering the average warframe only has a max of around 1,000 shields and health.

Snipers will have a lot more use with such a change, especially for squishy frames such as Banshee. Granting her a way to stay in the fight without having to worry about getting 1 shot as much.

It also can create more engaging gameplay in general, even as a player who wants to fight close up, you can set up far mor interesting strategies with positioning to affect your damage output against enemies

Open to community feedback, let me know what yall think. This is a personal desire of mine but i would still like to know if anyone wants or doesnt want it too

I feel the problem is more with the number of ranged enemies we face, rather than the damage they output. Having one ranged enemy deal 500 damage a shot is fine: their higher damage output means they're a priority target, and shield gating ensures they're not going to one-shot, so you have an opportunity to retaliate and take care of the issue before you keel over. That's worst case: I've noticed enemy units fairly often have a "floor prefire", where they'll shoot the floor / miss on purpose as a warning shot. It's common in shooters, and serves the same purpose of giving the player a chance to notice and retaliate before taking damage. (See, also, sniper laser sights.)

Having ten ranged enemies, even if they only deal 50 damage apiece, means the entire group is a priority target. That eliminates all the above "retaliation" options and warning signs present with a single target, which leads to a heavy emphasis on the AOE "kill them before they kill you" strategy—a strategy snipers aren't great at. Also one that doesn't work so well if said enemies happen to be spread out: that all but guarantees getting hit, and so leads into things like shield gate abuse + rolling guard strategies.

Damage caps based on range could help in some cases, but I also think that angle limits how much it'd help. Unless that Banshee is nestled at the end of a hallway or in the middle of the Plains, there's a solid chance for an enemy (or a group thereof) to round a corner in some nearby hallway, stairwell, or ramp and blast her just like they would today. Some tiles, even some tilesets, simply won't play nice.

I like to play with snipers, and I find the longer distances are somewhat protective up to a point, since the enemy AI prioritizes running to your location and getting within a certain range before shooting at you. Running at you, in a straight line... But as soon as they get into mid-range combat, yes, there is a big jump in their default aiming skills

9 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

since the enemy AI prioritizes running to your location

I be on PoE and they dont prioritize this at all unless you are in cover or they are after an objective. I be literally having lancers from 200m away standing still blasting at me

But having enemies actually function the way you say would work too, just feel it might be a bit too exploitable if that makes sense. You could find a spot and simply never take damage. Except from maybe other snipers

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Frost_Nephilim said:

I be on PoE and they dont prioritize this at all unless you are in cover or they are after an objective. I be literally having lancers from 200m away standing still blasting at me

But having enemies actually function the way you say would work too, just feel it might be a bit too exploitable if that makes sense. You could find a spot and simply never take damage. Except from maybe other snipers

I'd understand that on a landscape, since the big appeal is those huge distances and long-range combat, so the AI would need to be balanced for that.

In regular missions, most tiles are shorter-range, so the AI is probably designed for those ranges. I've noticed when I go onto a tileset with long hallways, such as Corpus Ship defense or the Lua tree room, I can end up in situations where I see the enemy huffing and puffing to get to my location before thinking of shooting

1 hour ago, Kaggelos said:

Personally i wish enemies spawned farther away and snipers had a stronger zoom-in mode (one for regular tilesets and one for open worlds). 150 meters arent that far away, make it at least 200, 300? Dunno.

Given the current tileset, it is just an impossible task. For now we are fight in either corridor, facility or ships. Even 30-50m is extremely long range consider this, but how it is possible to make such a ridiculously long range that can't be real? How a sniper can engage with you with 150m, despite the longest range to engage with you is around 20 to 60m in the most times?

5 hours ago, DroopingPuppy said:

Given the current tileset, it is just an impossible task. For now we are fight in either corridor, facility or ships. Even 30-50m is extremely long range consider this, but how it is possible to make such a ridiculously long range that can't be real? How a sniper can engage with you with 150m, despite the longest range to engage with you is around 20 to 60m in the most times?

As i already stated, one zoom mode for tilesets, one for open worlds (normal scope is for "close range", zoom-in for long range)

^^

Archived