Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Minor flaw in the game's story progression

Darthplagueis13

I'm currently watching a new players first time playthrough and they're now at the War Within. One thing that has become notable by now is the following:

The game fails to introduce Teshin. Like, entirely. It just assumes you've been doing Conclave, and literally noone ever does Conclave.

I mean, even Maroo gets introduced in a quest, and she's entirely irrelevant to the story at large. But Teshin... he just suddenly shows up during Natah and starts telling you what to do for a while, and then suddenly becomes the single most important NPC in the War Within without ever getting a proper introduction.

Personally, I think that's a bit weird. I know it's all added development time, but would maybe just one more quest in the messy progression between Vor's Prize and Natah really hurt? Doesn't need to be anything crazy, but I think Teshin is just as deserving of a proper introduction as Cephalon Simaris and Maroo.

Just now, (PSN)LeBlingKing said:

You raise a good point. Teshin is just the PvP man prior to getting thrown into the main quest arc. Though, if an introduction to him is to be implemented, I wonder where the best place for it would be...

Perhaps have quest given by the Lotus her self request we visit Teshin for some basic tutorials in Melee combat to teach new players about Stances, Combo points and Heavy attacks?

5 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Perhaps have quest given by the Lotus her self request we visit Teshin for some basic tutorials in Melee combat to teach new players about Stances, Combo points and Heavy attacks?

That sounds pretty doable. A small starter quest that sends you into the relay to see Teshin, teaches you about relays along the way, and then Teshin instructs you on the art of the blade.

Am 16.4.2023 um 12:37 schrieb DeckChairVonBananaCamel:

Like does ballas even get a mention in the main questline prior to apostacy prologue?

You get to hear memories of him talking or something like that in the Basin during the second dream. I think Father in the Necralysk also name drops him in a few voicelines. And of course, the big quest that really introduces him is the Sacrifice, rather than Apostacy Prologue.

But with Ballas I don't mind it that much. The issue with Teshin is that he's introduced as if the Tenno knows him well already, which usually isn't going to be the case because nobody plays Conclave and you don't normally do Steel Path before Natah and the War Within.

Ballas is a character who the Tenno isn't really supposed to know much about until he becomes relevant.

1 hour ago, Darthplagueis13 said:

You get to hear memories of him talking or something like that in the Basin during the second dream. I think Father in the Necralysk also name drops him in a few voicelines. And of course, the big quest that really introduces him is the Sacrifice, rather than Apostacy Prologue.

But with Ballas I don't mind it that much. The issue with Teshin is that he's introduced as if the Tenno knows him well already, which usually isn't going to be the case because nobody plays Conclave and you don't normally do Steel Path before Natah and the War Within.

Ballas is a character who the Tenno isn't really supposed to know much about until he becomes relevant.

yeah thats it, father has 2 random idle lines that reference ballas (and with no real info)

Spoiler

"'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.' I think Ballas said that. No, that can't be right. Well, someone said it."

"Ballas, huh? Who would have known. Who... would... have... known."

second dream has:

Spoiler

"...What they need, Margulis, is to be destroyed! They're devils from that hell, not human anymore."

"No, Ballas, no more destruction. We could heal them. Maybe they're meant to save us."

"How can you defend those devils, Margulis, after what they've done to you?!"

"Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind. They won't hurt anyone, I just need more time."

"Hush, my wilted love. I cannot protect you. Tomorrow you must renounce before the seven..."

And

"Seven hands raised! For your apostasy the judgement is... death. Margulis, why?"

"...it's about the other rejects we consigned to Lua a few years ago. They're calling it... Transference."

"...I know we are desperate, Executor, but these aren't Dax soldiers. These are golems possessed by devil minds."

Prior to his in-person appearance in apostacy prologue, thats it.

The operator looking at him and saying "Ballas?!" only really made sense to players who had completed all available content prior to that update launching, as at that point we had access to the synthesis scanner files, and the cephalon fragments (and i think at that point we knew ballas voiced all of the prime trailers?).

Players who have done only the critical path of quests get... a handful of cryptic-ish voice lines delivered THREE QUESTS PRIOR to the quest he actually shows up in!!

At least you spend an entire quest with teshin on the phone during a main quest before his betrayal.
I mean, that's still not enough and we definitely need more of space dad, but apostacy prologue has to be a much bigger "who the hell is this guy" moment.

On 2023-04-10 at 3:52 PM, (PSN)LeBlingKing said:

That sounds pretty doable. A small starter quest that sends you into the relay to see Teshin, teaches you about relays along the way, and then Teshin instructs you on the art of the blade.

A tiny quest that introduces you to Relays in general would be nice, like a short forced tour. Have the player visit each of the main rooms while explaining what each has to offer. Maybe even introduce them to the concept of Syndicates while we're there. 

Archived