Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please let us actually pause the game in open world if we're in solo mode.

Morahn

5 minutes ago, Morahn said:

Seems like the easiest thing in the world to implement.

I don't think it's a technical limitation, it's a design choice. They distinctly have no ability set to pause because of the cycles that open worlds have (hot / cold, day / night, etc.) need to keep running and change the landscape where applicable. I'm sure they could've done numerous things to get it working, but chose not to for open worlds.

It probably has something to do with the progression of time in open worlds interfering with the ability to actually pause the game.

The dev's probably can't figure out how to allow time to progress in your game while paused. Or just think it would be really unintuitive to pause for a while and to come back at suddenly a different time of day in game. Because since the time of day is server side and synced across all players, you can't pause the day/night cycle.

It is annoying but it's easy to see how actually implementing the function would be challenging, and potentially confusing for players if they did.

19 minutes ago, Naroxas44 said:
30 minutes ago, Morahn said:

Seems like the easiest thing in the world to implement.

I don't think it's a technical limitation, it's a design choice. They distinctly have no ability set to pause because of the cycles that open worlds have (hot / cold, day / night, etc.) need to keep running and change the landscape where applicable. I'm sure they could've done numerous things to get it working, but chose not to for open worlds.

That's technical limitations. Not "we cannot do" but "it's much harder to do".

What about Eidolons? Shall we despawn them? Or fish bait. Let's say you throw it at day cycle (to catch some day fish), pause, time change to night, unpause, bait hits the water. Is this supposed to be day or night bait?

I wonder if they could just turn off time progression & turn off time syncronization to server. Every session players would just pick open world time from server.

5 minutes ago, quxier said:

It was specifically designed to have "always-on" cycles though. They could've designed it differently but did not, which leads me to believe it was an intentional design choice, especially given there's multiple ways they could make solo open worlds pause and work and did not due to the way they decided to implement their cycles.

1 hour ago, Naroxas44 said:
1 hour ago, quxier said:

It was specifically designed to have "always-on" cycles though. They could've designed it differently but did not, which leads me to believe it was an intentional design choice, especially given there's multiple ways they could make solo open worlds pause and work and did not due to the way they decided to implement their cycles.

I think some part of the game is is just meant to be played in group. Like RJ, You can probably manage to do first RJ mission without HUGE problems. Try it solo. I've tried so many times with base ship & no crew. After 1st crew I managed to do missions.

Cycles were designed to make game more interesting. It's like PCG of map layout. You see similar rooms but placing of those rooms are different so you cannot just walk blindly (you still can melt enemies). Implementation may be not great but I don't feel like they had ulterior motives against solo players.

The thing that confuses me is that we can't pause in Duviri when. Duviri creates an instance of the at-the-time mood spiral and your instance of the spiral doesn't change just because the global spiral is different. While I had suspected that the Devs found a way to create instanced environments and global counters with the introduction of the Zariman and its flip-flopping factions, Duviri definitely proved that in an open-world setting, the needed disconnection from global time for a solo pause can be done.

Archived