Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archon System Terrible

Dueliest

Tried new Archon system / hunt today for the first time. My first impressions were, anger, disappointment, boredom (I never use that word, especially for Warframe). Warframe has been for me for many years a casual game. First two missions were a reasonable scale up from what I was used to and a noticeable spike in mob defenses but nothing that wasn't manageable. The Archon himself however was a WHOLE ANOTHER STORY. Half way through the fight I thought "man I guess I have to read the wiki just to face this guy" (LAME). Half my team left after boss was going nowhere for 20 minutes. Nothing has ever pissed me off more in this game then bullet sponge and disabling core game mechanics... like Warframe abilities. I quit for over a year when they added the stupid overguard mechanic, another prime example of diluting and even holding in contempt warframe's power, which is WHAT THE GAME IS CALLED. But more to the topic at hand, the single most irritating facet of these "bosses" is their damage attenuation. A grotesque desperate abysmal offensive attempt at keeping bosses relevant with power creep and what not. DE Dev's have said yourself you sell power fantasy. So the entire point of this game is to make powerful characters. Then you add game components (bosses) that are diametrically apposed to increasing power and actually punish it. Further more, insult to injury, you hold it in contempt by invalidating allot of warframe abilities as well. No strategy can be applied, which turns into what, a brain-dead gear-check at best? Canceling our combat options is insulting to our intelligence and its so disappointing I simply HATE it. I hope the current incarnation of Archon Hunts dies and burns, I will certainly be warning people against it, not worth my time or hassle. Oh and by the way you are ostracizing an 8 year veteran, again. We are the only people who will keep the word of mouth of this game alive. Anything else is kids looking for free-to-play with NO MONEY.

Yeah I have given up on Archons. Usually have same experience players leave because fight isn't going anywhere. I usually wish someone would join with one shot build but I'm not sure if they patched it?

Staying alive is not hard unlike on Profit Taker which does ridiculous damage along with all those Corpus units. Not really sure how that fight is meant to be done? usually necramech helps.

anyway be prepared for comments like "yOu aRe JuSt nOt rEaDy" "It's end game". fight is terrible. both Archons and Profit Taker even though it wasn't really what this thread was about.

22 minutes ago, (PSN)IdoThea said:

I usually wish someone would join with one shot build but I'm not sure if they patched it?

Have it, oneshot them, still hate them, it's the gameplay design that is the problem, chained invuln phases coupled with lots of healing just aren't good design, but unfortunately warframe has already moved on past that 'content'

I think there fun and I don't have a problem with the fights solo, with friends or public. and I never understood the one-shot build so I don't use one, I just run with the right damage element and my fav gun and have no problem. I sometimes replay them just to help others finish it. but i find it a lot of fun i enjoy going after the owl the most.

Not everyone is a casual player and for sure casual players don't need archon shards, so you really don't have to play those missions. But in case you changed your mind, which I hope you will, I'm afraid you'll need to check the Wikipedia or some tutorials like everyone did. If done correctly, archon hunts are really easy, just like anything else in the game.

Warframe is all about preparation and knowledge, not skills.

When an Archon hunt goes sideways it end up being a pretty big headache. Mostly people end up settling on something to hammer them out eventually, but that may take time and practice and may not be as fun or at all by the end.

What would you suggest they change or add to make a difficult dangerous boss that doesn't immediately get erased by our current weapons? If I think about this the other way around imagining I was DE trying to add a better boss I feel a bit backed into a corner. Players have tons and tons effective health available if they choose, some frames are blatantly invulnerable through abilities and do hundreds of millions of damage in a single hit. The current structure makes bosses difficult to tackle.

I've always hated Bullet Sponges enemies or 99%-of-time-invulnerable-bosses, but Archons are really not that bad.  They probably have a bit too much HP in squads, that's particularly noticeable if no-one in the squads has brought specific Archon weapons, but otherwise they're mechanically okay-ish (still miles ahead Ambulas, Vay Hek or prime Wolf).

You should be aware about their mechanics from the New War quest, even if the third Archon you faced was probably roflstomped by your Warframes. But even then, Hunhow explained quite in details the specificities of each fight. I've never read the wiki and the stuff that happens makes sense / is pretty easily understandable.

8 hours ago, Cheseit said:

When an Archon hunt goes sideways it end up being a pretty big headache. Mostly people end up settling on something to hammer them out eventually, but that may take time and practice and may not be as fun or at all by the end.

What would you suggest they change or add to make a difficult dangerous boss that doesn't immediately get erased by our current weapons? If I think about this the other way around imagining I was DE trying to add a better boss I feel a bit backed into a corner. Players have tons and tons effective health available if they choose, some frames are blatantly invulnerable through abilities and do hundreds of millions of damage in a single hit. The current structure makes bosses difficult to tackle.

Let me show an example.        Note that i should not require a high over the top build or Primed sure footed

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ala0HZhuL1mNgxWGz_49-kTzhphj?e=KBIcdm

Describe the mess you witnessed

Something that was mentioned on redit about the damage and DR calculations was DE's intent to normalize the experience across players of different power levels. What I don't understand is why they are even trying to make a level 150 boss accessible to new players? The drive to progress should be sufficient enough to motivate people to get through the game, at whatever pace they decide, to eventually reach later content. Just like so much else in this game and others. Allot of the problems would be solved by more static scaling for an specific intended power level. Then just communicate that to players.  

I believe Archon is going to be like Eidolon, we only using the specific warframe, weapon and amp at first. But eventually once we find out the rhythm we can use any WF (right now it's stealth for solo or tank for group) or weapon (something else beside Kuva Hek and Zariman Incarnon).

Had anyone test the Incarnon Genesis weapon yet? Lex Prime Incarnon could be a contender for this.

Honestly it's much faster for me to kill an Archon rather than Tridolon or Profit Taker. But everyone had it's own playstyle or skill.

Archived