The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Codex Update/Rework Discussion

Tr4shBr0k3

Hello everyone, so the Codex as of right now is a pretty useless feature.

In a Survey from about 1.5years ago a Codex Update was an Option apparently, has there been any news about it yet?

I think it could really, really use a Rework because as of right now, 99,9% of Players ignore the Codex completely.

And for the 0.1% that actually are interested in filling the codex (like me) it is super annoying that this thing has about 150 entries either not obtainable or missing. That just makes it very unsatisfying to grind for because you will still have empty slots that you cant fill, and it also doesn't feel complete because there are things missing in the codex.

DE doesn't really seem to care about it since there is a list on the wiki with all of the bugs and it really wouldn't be a big deal to just fix those faults.

I don't just want to rant here but rather hear some other opinions of the community about the system and if more people would be interested in a codex update/rework, or maybe something is planned and I just missed it.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Tr4shBr0k3 said:

I don't just want to rant here but rather hear some other opinions of the community about the system and if more people would be interested in a codex update/rework, or maybe something is planned and I just missed it.

I'd love a codex rework, even though I'm not the kind of tenno to chase every mob with a scanner. first, you have to look at why the Codex is neglected:

- it requires scanning enemies, which takes you out of combat/mission objectives. yes, Heliocor and Helios, but then your loadout is limited: some people might want to use other melees and companions.

- you need a lot of scans before the critical information, like loot drops and elemental weakness/resistances is revealed to you.

- many of the enemies are difficult to get to even spawn. the other day I saw a Mitosid Eximus on Deimos, I think for the first time since I farmed Iso-vaults like 2 years ago... it was kind of a unicorn moment..

- there's basically no lore behind the enemies, so no incentive for loreheads to scan them. only the Arena enemies (Index/Rathuum opponents), some bosses and a few others have actual information about them, their origins, purpose within their faction etc.

- some enemies are literally inaccessible or only appear very rarely (Nightwatch Grineer for example, they are the only time the hardcore scanning crowd really come out of the woodwork).

each of these problems has to be addressed, and this is how I would do it:

+ you no longer need to scan enemies, instead simply defeating them in combat will grant progress towards their codex entry; players are free to use whatever loadout they want. Heliocor can be made to do the same thing as Helios and reveal/create weak points to compensate.

+ you only need to defeat each enemy type 3 times to reveal all of it's information: the first scan reveals its Elemental Resistances/weaknesses, the second reveals its drop table, and the third reveals some lore behind their origins, purpose etc. more common enemy types tend to be quite boring, so killing 3 lancers to learn "they are the infantry" doesn't really matter, while killing a boss 3 times gives you their entire backstory, which would be good for those interested in the lore, and allow for some stuff to read and learn about between missions.

+ Cephalon Simaris could offer "Prize Specimen hunts" in addition to his usual hunts: these are mission instances using existing game modes, but there is a guaranteed spawn of a particularly rare unit, which you can either scan or defeat. if you scan it before killing it, Simaris will give you a chunk of Standing, so those who still want to scan will be rewarded for doing so. either way upon mission completion your codex updates with +1 scans to that unit. the Prize Specimen would rotate on a weekly basis to give people plenty of time to scan/kill it and would likely be a rare Eximus or whatever rare enemy type DE sees fit.

+ lore entries are added for all enemies on the 3rd kill, but perhaps more kills (5,10 etc.) could offer other tidbits. perhaps if the player can kill a larger amoutn, such as 100 or 1000 of that enemy type, they could unlock a leverian exhibit or something. since DE have access to data that tells us how many of each enemy type gets killed, they could make it so that whichever mob gets ganked the most gets a cinematic or something at the end of the year. (could even be one that makes you feel sorry for them, and the fact you butchered so many of them..)

+ ALL enemy types would have to be brought back, and given places in the system as DE sees fit. I kind of miss the Artificers and Datalyst enemies, they were cool.

that's what the perfect enemy codex would look like to me anyway, and I think this would persuade people to get more invested in the warframe universe, as opposed to just playing the game for the loot.

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7
  • Like 4

vor 6 Stunden schrieb (PSN)robotwars7:

that's what the perfect enemy codex would look like to me anyway, and I think this would persuade people to get more invested in the warframe universe, as opposed to just playing the game for the loot.

Wow, I agree with everything you just said.

In my opinion, there are 2 possible ways of how to fix/rework the codex.

Option 1: Make it into a Kind of "ingame-wiki"

How this could look like:

-drastically lowering kills/scans per enemy, 

-providing actually helpful information about enemies drops, locations, weaknesses/strength

-being a lot more accessible, so it can compete with the search- efficiency of a wiki page

Option 2: Make it interesting to completionists.

The important points here are:

-give every enemy and object some kind of lore/trivia/flavor text that is worth to be read- just like the Fragments tab, which has a lot of interesting lore and trivia. I had a lot of fun collecting those, but i cant motivate myself to scan enemies for close to none interesting flavor text.

-amounts of scans are mostly fine, but could be streamlined a bit more

-every entry has to actually be completable, as well as no missing entries (should go for both options)

-here, the before mentioned Simaris "Prize Specimen Hunts" would also fit really well

Those aren't really detailed descriptions but rather short overviews of how i could imagine a codex rework. Something in between could work too of course.

I also wanted to mention that in my opinion the tabs of Weapons, Warframes&Vehicles, feel kind of out of place.

They have literally no use whatsoever, The entries have no informations on how to get them, and almost all people will rather use profile-Equipment to look at what gear they have and what they want to get. So these tabs are just there.

Same goes for Reclis&Arcanes, aswell as Mods, but here at least some of them entries on how to get them, so they're fine i guess.

IMO these tabs are pretty obsolete. For progress, people will check their profile>equipment, and there is no interesting text or anything like that to have them as an Codex entry.

However, my biggest concern regarding this whole Codex thing is that DE might think that it would be a waste of time to invest into reworking the Codex since there are so little people caring or talking about this system.

Which would be really sad since if done correctly, it could really offer a lot of value to many players.

9 hours ago, VibingCat said:

Besides, I wish there were more enemies in the Simulacrum. But most importantly, I agree that the Codex should be fixed because there are many entries being impossible to complete because discontinued, nonexistent, duplicated or bugged in other ways.

Oh boy, don't get me started, I already have a low amount of PTSD from trying to scan the most random/extremely rare things (which I did, after weeks of repeated runs over and over again). 

In other words, the codex is mostly discontinued entries (old units that were removed from the gamemodes), broken or bugged entries, duplicated or hidden entries, inconsistent and basically useless entries ngl. The only good thing that is related to the Codex is simulacrum that should have all the enemies from the Codex available to fight (maybe not bosses for their special mechanics like Lephantis for example that has two stages).

I've complained for such a long time about what a joke the Codex is that now when people ask about it, I simply have to stop saying anything cause I've said a lot.

Edited by BowserNC

2 hours ago, Tr4shBr0k3 said:

However, my biggest concern regarding this whole Codex thing is that DE might think that it would be a waste of time to invest into reworking the Codex since there are so little people caring or talking about this system.

Which would be really sad since if done correctly, it could really offer a lot of value to many players.

They said before Duviri launched that they were gonna add the Dax units in the Codex, and it never happened. I think DE forgot about the Codex long ago. For example they added a new Thrax in the codex, one that is so niche to scan that most players have no idea what it is. If you want to read more about what I mean here's the post I made a while ago: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tr4shBr0k3 said:

I think it could really, really use a Rework because as of right now, 99,9% of Players ignore the Codex completely.

Genuine question: what kind of rework are you thinking of that would get players who are ignoring the Codex to care about it?  While the Codex is interesting and has some fun nerd stuff in it, the overwhelming majority of players are here to do a shoot-a-mans.

hace 45 minutos, BowserNC dijo:

They said before Duviri launched that they were gonna add the Dax units in the Codex, and it never happened. I think DE forgot about the Codex long ago. For example they added a new Thrax in the codex, one that is so niche to scan that most players have no idea what it is. If you want to read more about what I mean here's the post I made a while ago: 

I really appreciate your comment, I tried everything to complete this entry, I had not thought about that augment.

Edited by --Leyenda-yight6
  • Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb (PSN)Unstar:

Genuine question: what kind of rework are you thinking of that would get players who are ignoring the Codex to care about it?  While the Codex is interesting and has some fun nerd stuff in it, the overwhelming majority of players are here to do a shoot-a-mans.

robotwars7 and I listed a few points that we would like changed/reworked.

I dont think the codex needs to be a core mechanic to the game that adresses every player in the community, its fine to stay rather niche.

However, the codex definetily requires some love so there can at least be a niche that will enjoy it.

Edited by Tr4shBr0k3

I stopped caring about the Codex after they took away my Bailiff Eximus scans from many years ago with Angels of the Zariman and never gave them back. Support also provided no help despite me pointing to my GDPR account data that I requested prior as proof of that scan completion. 

I'm all for a Codex rework/hotfix, but if it doesn't provide 100% availability for completion and all bugged entries fixed, they shouldn't bother. That seems to be what they're doing right now.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 2

On 2023-11-30 at 7:17 PM, Voltage said:

I stopped caring about the Codex after they took away my Bailiff Eximus scans from many years ago with Angels of the Zariman and never gave them back.

Third mission of today's sortie is spawning bailiff eximus.  Easy scans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazelMeade said:

Third mission of today's sortie is spawning bailiff eximus.  Easy scans.

Just got them from your comment in the other thread. I gifted you something from your wishlist in-game. Cheers and thank you again. You're a legend.

• Like 2