Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Linguistics nerd vs. Voidtongue

apprenticeNerd

I knew someone would start to figure it out, and was kind of curious. Good luck to all of you trying to translate it.

One funny side note- we have a weapon called the “Mara Detron”, which is the only one with that prefix / variant. Assuming what we think is correct, this would be the “child detron” lol. Unless it has multiple meanings based on context, as words can. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ominumi said:

So we are basically translating sentence structure? That's totally unfair. Finding intent behind random jumbo of words is near impossible. And I know DE likes to read these kind of threads. Said person making the Voidtongue is already coming up with new ways to throw off the trail. Want to keep it as a riddle.

What do you mean by "totally unfair"? This might just be me thinking highly of DE in general and wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think there's any malice or adversarial-ness in how Voidtongue is being presented. Sure, translations are few and far between right now, but the more seemingly-random words we get and the more examples we get of how to string them together, the more we can deduce about the language and how it works. That's the whole point of this thread; it's a fun challenge! (And it'll be even more fun if and when we actually get a full-sentence translation!)

7 hours ago, voltocitygel said:

One funny side note- we have a weapon called the “Mara Detron”, which is the only one with that prefix / variant. Assuming what we think is correct, this would be the “child detron” lol. Unless it has multiple meanings based on context, as words can. 

Mara is also a sanskrit word akin to "devil", so I believe a weapon, intended for killing, would be called "Devil's Detron" to inspire fear.

fun fact: the Mara Detron was a commonly used weapon by Smugglers during the Orokin Era.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, apprenticeNerd said:

What do you mean by "totally unfair"? This might just be me thinking highly of DE in general and wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think there's any malice or adversarial-ness in how Voidtongue is being presented. Sure, translations are few and far between right now, but the more seemingly-random words we get and the more examples we get of how to string them together, the more we can deduce about the language and how it works. That's the whole point of this thread; it's a fun challenge! (And it'll be even more fun if and when we actually get a full-sentence translation!)

The unfair part is sentence intent isn't consistent base on context. The three same voidtongue words means something in "Whisper in the Wall." Those three exact same words will mean something else in another quest. Only because the dictionary is small currently. It's a fun riddle for sure. My interest isn't the riddle itself. More the thought process of the persons who came up with the riddle.

5 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Mara is also a sanskrit word akin to "devil", so I believe a weapon, intended for killing, would be called "Devil's Detron" to inspire fear.

fun fact: the Mara Detron was a commonly used weapon by Smugglers during the Orokin Era.

Devil would make a bit more sense, but interesting to see the same word used in two different ways, to be sure. 

Yeah, I read that! It makes me wonder how many of those smugglers joined up with the corpus after they were founded, since that’s one way the corpus could have gotten ahold of the weapon to design the ordinary detron. (Or the tenet, for that matter). 
kind of like how the gotva prime was originally used by proto-grineer foot soldiers, and it can be implied from the weapons performance and design that it was likely what they based the design of the grakata from.

Edited by voltocitygel