Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theGreatZamboni

A Complete Rework Of The Foundation Of Warframe.

1,359 posts in this topic

Wow, I skimmed through this wall of text, but from what I gathered from the screenshots, this system would be so much better! I like the idea of sections with each one being for different themed mods on the warframe. Like you said, this would allow people to use niche mods like Intruder. I think the mod system should have been overhauled along side damage 2.0. 

Warframe is still open beta so I can see this being apart of something in the future.  I really like the concept of choice rather then necessity ~  I like everything about this give or take.  

I like the ideas here, just a small suggestion though, to add a table of continence, so its easier to pick up were you left off, or look up something to re-read a part.

You may need to break this down into multiple threads. 
Although I notice your ideas have cropped up elsewhere in other games and you are merely applying what worked in them to warframe. 
Smart. 
Also
Can someone tell this guy how to use spoiler blocks to group his information into something more manageable? 

Edit; Will be making comments as I dissect your post. 
1) I think you should make a point of addressing how Forma/Potatoes will work in your new system. Potatoes could easily just double points per tree. But Forma? 
2) Will we see more exaggerated melee moves? Our melee doesn't hit that many enemies, or that wide an area. Will your variety of strikes fix that? Can I do some sort of blade pinwheel of death in a forwards direction? 
3) customization seems a little lacking in weapons compared to frames.Can I only have one core, one barrel per gun? Can I upgrade my gun to allow for multiple of each attachment? 

I would probably quit the game if this happened. I'm not really willing to see another huge change in the game mechanics.

Although I notice your ideas have cropped up elsewhere in other games and you are merely applying what worked in them to warframe. 

Smart. 

Also

Can someone tell this guy how to use spoiler blocks to group his information into something more manageable? 

I make no bones about taking ideas from other games. As for spoilering it, that would not aid in the flow of information. Each idea flows into another one, as paragraphs should.

The awfulness of the mod system has been on my mind recently as well, but what you have here is far, far more informed and well thought out than what I would have come up with. I personally highly approve of just about everything you've posted here.

This is a brilliant explanation of exactly what is wrong with the current system, and an excellent idea for replacing it. DE has already remade the system once when they switched from the skill tree to mod cards, there's no reason they can't do it again.

DE, please, look at this and take it to heart. This is exactly what I, and surely many others, want.

Smart. 

Also

Edit; Will be making comments as I dissect your post. 

1) I think you should make a point of addressing how Forma/Potatoes will work in your new system. Potatoes could easily just double points per tree. But Forma? 

2) Will we see more exaggerated melee moves? Our melee doesn't hit that many enemies, or that wide an area. Will your variety of strikes fix that? Can I do some sort of blade pinwheel of death in a forwards direction? 

3) customization seems a little lacking in weapons compared to frames.Can I only have one core, one barrel per gun? Can I upgrade my gun to allow for multiple of each attachment? 

Forma and Potatoes are a relic of the old design and serve no place in the new system. They were merely a way for them to get money out of people unwilling to wait for Alerts. Forma has also become a hurdle for people looking to start a clan. They should have never made Forma a building material. Forma has also made any advantages of Prime Warframes virtually nonexistent.

The lack of weapon customization is inherent. The guns themselves should create that variance. That means people who like the Tigris can use it and equip attachments to accentuate its positives and hide the negatives. It means people can play with the guns they like.

As for the melee, since the addition of the new system- it has fallen to be the lowest priority for me to explain. The new system is extremely flawed and vapid of depth, but for the mean time it is serviceable.

This is a brilliant explanation of exactly what is wrong with the current system, and an excellent idea for replacing it. DE has already remade the system once when they switched from the skill tree to mod cards, there's no reason they can't do it again.

DE, please, look at this and take it to heart. This is exactly what I, and surely many others, want.

Which is my point. While people may be against another overhaul, it is better to do it early on, rather than crawl forward with a failed experiment at the center of your game.

While I am not sure this is the exact way that warframe should be changed. I do agree with what I can assume your main points are, in that the game itself is fundamentally flawed and it needs to be changed. 

Wow, this is almost exactly what I've had in mind myself.

People have been saying that. There is a good reason for that as well. We play games. Having spent time with the system, we understand its faults and flaws. We are able to then take our previous experiences from other games in order to fix the issues of another game. Many of us have come to the same conclusions because we understand game design. The reason you are even considering a replacement for the Mod Card system shows it retains nothing from what is set out to do.

The Mod Card system was better than the original skill tree. But now the experiment is over. If the game continues to revolve around a broken system, the whole thing will fall apart.

Sir, I read your novel and I am deeply moved. Your ideas would make Warframe the game of the century.

Also, what are your thoughts about Sentinels? How do you think they could be improved?

Forma and Potatoes are a relic of the old design and serve no place in the new system. They were merely a way for them to get money out of people unwilling to wait for Alerts. Forma has also become a hurdle for people looking to start a clan. They should have never made Forma a building material. Forma has also made any advantages of Prime Warframes virtually nonexistent.

The lack of weapon customization is inherent. The guns themselves should create that variance. That means people whole like the Tigris can use it and equip attachments to accentuate its positives and hid the negatives. It means people can play with the guns they like.

As for the melee, I am working on expanding it as we speak. More visuals and better explanations across the board.

As much as I agree on that, you will need to provide another way to fill that lost revenue by potatoes. It is a source of income that helps great changes like the ones you suggest coming. 

Would that not make specialized weapons disadvantaged? Forcing us to cover their weakeness while a balanced weapon like the Braton could be customized in many different directions? A Braton could be made into a hard hitting assault rifle, a utility/element effect spreader, a more accurate semisniper. While a Tigris Will always be a single target hard hitter who's weaknesses you're covering for? 

I can't wait to see the melee work. Taken and modified from Remember Me, is it? 

As much as I agree on that, you will need to provide another way to fill that lost revenue by potatoes. It is a source of income that helps great changes like the ones you suggest coming. 

Would that not make specialized weapons disadvantaged? Forcing us to cover their weakeness while a balanced weapon like the Braton could be customized in many different directions? A Braton could be made into a hard hitting assault rifle, a utility/element effect spreader, a more accurate semisniper. While a Tigris Will always be a single target hard hitter who's weaknesses you're covering for? 

I can't wait to see the melee work. Taken and modified from Remember Me, is it? 

I think my post answers your own question about specialized weapons. But I may need to make it more clear.

As for the melee rework, yes it is. Remember Me was one of the worst games I ever played. But I play games to learn about design as much as I do to have fun. Remember Me took ideas from God Hand, as well as a number of other games. The only things I took away from it that were positive being the combo system and running animations. The rest was offensively bad. Not because it borrowed from other games, but because it did it so poorly. Those reasons coupled with terrible writing made me resent playing the game. Until I thought to use the combo system as a way to fix Warframe.

That was an excellent read and I hope some, if not all of your ideas are implemented into the game. If you haven't already, you should plug this post on Reddit to get more visibility.

I cannot agree more with the rail-roading caused by Serration, Hornet Strike etc., as well as other mods that are just essential and would be pointless not to include in every build. It'd be nice to also have some significance to being a Mastery 14. There's no reward for this much effort other than being able to trade, and by this point in the game, I don't need to buy anything anyway... it just makes me a merchant... selling mods I don't need to new players.

I think my post answers your own question about specialized weapons. But I may need to make it more clear.

As for the melee rework, yes it is. Remember Me was one of the worst games I ever played. But I play games to learn about design as much as I do to have fun. Remember Me took ideas from God Hand, as well as a number of other games. The only things I took away from it that were positive were the combo system and running animations. The reset was offensively bad. Not because it borrowed from other games, but because it did it so poorly. Those reasons coupled with terrible writing made me resent playing the game. Until I thought to use the combo system as a way to fix Warframe.

I'll go and take another look, it is highly likely I missed a nuance. 

Let me say it like this : DE, GIVE THIS MAN A JOB ALREADY ! (sorry for caps)

That was an excellent read and I hope some, if not all of your ideas are implemented into the game. If you haven't already, you should plug this post on Reddit to get more visibility.

I cannot agree more with the rail-roading caused by Serration, Hornet Strike etc., as well as other mods that are just essential and would be pointless not to include in every build. It'd be nice to also have some significance to being a Mastery 14. There's no reward for this much effort other than being able to trade, and by this point in the game, I don't need to buy anything anyway... it just makes me a merchant... selling mods I don't need to new players.

I don't go to Reddit. Feel free to post it wherever.

Yes please.

Highly doubt it will happen tho.

The community barely convinced DE to rework the armour system and there have been lots of good suggestion posts around the forums with many replies of approval from the community and most of them were ignored.

BUT maybe....juuuust maybe.

I'll go and take another look, it is highly likely I missed a nuance. 

If it is not apparent in my post, it will be. I'm taking a break for now. More pictures coming tomorrow to accompany the format changes. My explanation to your question may be in the rough draft and failed to make it into the actual post.