Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×

Okay you did not kill Chroma, but still, he has 1 useful ability

With the changes made to Vex armor working from weapon kills for both functioanilities Chroma just became even more useless than he was before, since now he's not even good for Eidolon hunts or Profit taker anymore. He has no overguard, no overshield, ability stats are average at best, he relies on armor or dmg reduction mods to survive + life steal, and there are frames already built around that with much more utility in their kits, like Nidus or the most recently reworked Inaros. And now he can't even get his most useful ability charged into stats because he's not making use of damage mitigation.

This frame just has no identity anymore. It's elemental switching functionality has almost zero uses, Effigy is a joke of an ability along with Spectral Scream and Elemental Ward, all 3 are terrible for anything higher than 100 levels and on steel path, they just eat energy, their stats are too low to be considered even just a decent buff for the frame, Effigy dies too quickly and it only generates credit and that's the only real functionality it's known for at this point. 

Not a dragon, not an elemental master, not a great tank and definitely not an Eidolon hunter anymore. Which makes me sad because he's our only dragon themed frame, and he looks really cool, he even got a lunar new year skin and even with these terrible stats his abilities sound great on paper.

Edit: I made the assumption that DE just changed vex armor to favour situations where damage mitigation is a riskier or non-viable option, but I was wrong. They actually overloaded the ability to draw power from both sources. Which is great, from a game design standpoint it might be terrible, but still, it's better than leaving Chroma with no options in Eidolon hunts. The other points still stand though. Other 3 abilites are still non-existent and useless, but I guess we can still use him on hunts atleast...

Edited by Samhel
  • Like 3

the way I understood it, I thought it would work how it currently does but also work from weapon kills? (I don't really play Chroma or tried him since the update)

Edited by _Anise_

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

the way I understood it, I thought it would work how it currently does but also work from weapon kills? (I don't really play Chroma or tried him since the update)

Holy s*, you're right. Altough, the other point still stands, he has 1 useful ability :'D 

Edit: thank you for pointing it out for me, I kind of just read the hotfix description which made me think they switched things around because of overguard meta. Which to be fair sounded more logical to me than just giving this one ability even more functionality... 

Edited by Samhel
  • Like 1

• Samhel changed the title to Okay you did not kill Chroma, but still, he has 1 useful ability

Chroma is basically non-viable at this point. Literally the only use I can find for him is profit taker, just to have the effigy out to double the drop. If you deleted him entirely from the game I doubt anyone would even notice. He does absolutely nothing even as well as any other frame and only functions as a more reliable smeeta in one very niche case.

On 2024-04-11 at 8:06 AM, Samhel said:

Holy s*, you're right. Altough, the other point still stands, he has 1 useful ability :'D 

I’d give it a hard 1.5. At least half of Elemental ward is useful (if you don’t have a wisp (overwrites heat), hyldren (elec is just bad but Hyldren overwrites it), Max scorn stacks (Cold is additive with VA so basically does nothing when you easily get 1k armor from VA), and who uses Toxin (Toxin is probably the least used one chroma has))

Edited by Nerthiril
My dumb ass said Vex armor instead of Elemental Ward