Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenet rocket pod Archgun: Tenet Vulturas

Novashank

Now that DE have announced a new Kuva and Tenet weapon recently after a long break of not adding any, there's hope that more will be added.

I created a Topic for Kuva and Tenet weapons, both upgrades and originals, that I think should be added, and in that list I mentioned that we have both an upgrade and an original Kuva Archgun, but no Corpus Archguns yet.

Here is a link to that topic:

So this is my idea for the very first original Tenet Archgun: the Tenet Vulturas.

The idea is that this will be the Corpus counterpart to the Kuva Grattler. Just like the Grattler, the Vulturis will be well-suited to dealing with space enemies that are too agile to be easily hit with projectile and even hitscan weapons. But rather than flak rounds, this weapon will utilize homing rockets to dispatch foes. 

The weapon will be a handheld rocket pod. Imagine a box that is 1m long x 0.5m wide x 0.5m tall with 2 handles on it and the rockets sticking slightly out of holes in the front, in a 4x4 rocket hole arrangement. (I don't have an image for this concept but I welcome submissions!) It will fire 1 rocket at a time at a rate of 3 per second with 16 rockets per max reload/magazine. 

The name I chose is inspired by the Corvas, which references the Latin word "Corvus" for "Raven". "Vulturas" references the Latin word "Vulturis" for "Vulture", which itself references the greedy and scavenging nature of the Corpus, their preference to let their robots do a lot of the fighting for them, and the tendency of the rockets fired by the weapon to ominously circle any enemy targets that they initially miss.

Without further ado, here is the breakdown of the weapon:

Weapon Characteristics:

-The Tenet Vulturas' rockets will automatically home towards space and air enemies with no lock on necessary.

-Rockets will never home towards ground enemies.

-Can be fired at any time even when no target is present.

-The missiles will travel 100-200m/s with a max range of 400-800m (to be determined, both of these values will be chosen such that each rocket has up to 4 seconds of travel time before expiring). Lock-on range will be 200-400m (tbd, will be set to half of max range).

-The rockets will maintain the travel speed constantly at all times. Nothing will change their travel speed, except that they might have a lower travel speed value in atmosphere for balance and physics realism purposes.

-A rocket will only home towards any enemy that is within a 10-degree deviation radius from the crosshair when fired and will prioritize the closest enemy within the homing radius.

-Rockets will be able to turn at a variable rate of up to 360 degrees per second when homing towards enemies (and explode upon reaching the max range limit if the target is not hit first). The rocket will, whenever possible, keep itself pointed directly at the locked target, rather than trying to lead it.

-If a rocket passes an enemy without direct impact, the rocket will immediately explode if the target is within the radial damage range of the rocket, omitting the direct hit damage. (The proximity check would ideally be something like perhaps an invisible circle, with the size of the radial damage radius, that planes perpendicular to the length of the rocket and is positioned just behind the tip of the hitbox of the rocket.) The radial damage falloff will of course be factored in this case. This will never happen with ground enemies. If the rocket completely misses, it will naturally continue to circle around the target until it either impacts, explodes within proximity or expires.

The rockets will be fired (if looking at the front of the gun) in order starting with the top-right rocket and then proceeding from right-to-left, top-row-to-bottom-row. If the player mods the weapon to have extra magazine capacity, then this firing order will repeat after firing the first 16 rockets if more than 16 are fired without reloading.

Description: Parvos Granum's terrifying answer to both elusive enemy spacecraft and aircraft, as well as menacing hordes of infantry. Devastates targets with automatic homing plasma rockets that explode on impact or in proximity, dealing blast damage and high heat damage.

Stats:

-Trigger Type: Automatic

-Fire Rate: 3 per second

-Projectile Velocity: 100-200m/s (to be determined)

-Magazine Count: 16

-Ammo Maximum (as Heavy Weapon): 160

-Reload Speed: 1 second delay, 24 ammo reloaded per second (2.5 seconds as Heavy Weapon)

[Direct Hit]:

-Damage: (150 total)

-80 Impact

-50 Puncture

-20 Slash

-Critical Chance: 25%

-Critical Damage: 3.0x

-Status Chance: 25%

[Radial Damage]:

-Damage: (350 total)

-100 Blast

-250 Heat

-Critical Chance: 25%

-Critical Damage: 3.0x

-Status Chance: 30%

-Radial Damage Range: 10.0m

-Falloff: 100% at 0m, 40% at 10m, 0% at >10m

(These damage values of course do not include the added Progenitor damage bonus, which will be applied to both the direct hit damage and radial damage. Also, bear in mind that while the weapon may at first seem quite powerful, especially with a maximum Progenitor damage bonus, the rockets won't always score direct hits and will therefore lose a significant portion of the total damage some of the time. The rocket travel speed and radial damage range/falloff may be nerfed for the Heavy Weapon version for balance, and to account for air resistance.)

There it is! Let me know what you think and be sure to give a like if you, too, would be an enjoyer of this weapon both as an Archgun and Heavy Weapon. Also please suggest stat changes and feel free to offer a cool image or animation that I can use for this concept, keeping in mind that it must have the Tenet aesthetic.

Edited by Novashank
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2024-04-30 at 1:18 AM, Pakaku said:

Sounds almost like the Tenet Envoy, just as an archgun

Not quite. The Tenet Envoy's rockets are slow, manually guided and will likely have a larger explosion radius with more damage, assuming the explosion range of the Vulturas' rockets are nerfed for the heavy weapon version, just as was done for the (Kuva) Grattler, if I remember correctly. This weapon's rockets are nimble, self-guided and only track aerial and space targets.

Plus, since Archguns don't scale as well as Primary guns because Archgun mods aren't as powerful, the Tenet Envoy's rockets will still hit harder. Thank you for your feedback!

Edited by Novashank

• 2 weeks later...