Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

In-game Trading Marketplace?

JackG50822

There's a feature I feel Warframe desperately needs - an in-game market. Currently, there's no way to create a listing in-game that can be bought overnight. Warframe.market exists, but it has issues:
- Has many ads making it difficult to navigate
- Requires a separate sign-up, which could lead to security issues
- Requires you meet up with people in-game which defeats the purpose
- Inconvenient for console players who can't just open a new tab
My suggestion is that a trading terminal is placed opposite the Relic Terminal in the Orbiter. There you can create listings to buy or sell, then go to sleep. Next time you get on, a popup similar to the Ready to Claim popup appears, then you can claim your goods from the terminal. The benefits are clear:
- All trading happens in Warframe proper, making it safer and allowing for selling while offline
- More convenient for antisocial or shy people (like me) to trade without making contact
- Helps to prevent scams since the price is predetermined
Some additional features that would help a lot:
- A price check to see the stats of a specific item over the last x days (average price, lowest, highest, average sell time, amount sold etc)
- A listing time-out that refunds and removes listings after x days (to prevent years-old listings from staying)
- An ability to sell items in sets for convenience
- A way to message sellers to barter prices (also a setting to disallow barters) (this would mean needing to implement offline messaging which may not be possible)
- Both buy listing and sell listings
- A way to set specific Riven stats as buy listings
- Maybe a limited amount of trade space, with more purchaseable with Platinum? (maybe 6 with 12 more for 20 platinum each)
If all of these are implemented, it will make trading far easier and quicker. Honestly I'm surprised Warframe doesn't have this as a feature, especially since there are games older than Warframe which had this at launch. I also would assume it wouldn't be hard to implement since the trading infrastructure already exists.

42 minutes ago, JackG50822 said:

Honestly I'm surprised Warframe doesn't have this as a feature, especially since there are games older than Warframe which had this at launch. I also would assume it wouldn't be hard to implement since the trading infrastructure already exists.

You just do not understand the game economy. In all other games the trades use in game currency. In this one the trades use premium currency that is available for real money and can be obtained in illegal way (credit card scam, payment reversal). In case of current system tracing that plat and removing it from the game is not as hard as it would be if there were automated systems that would allow spreading it all over the place.

2 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

In case of current system tracing that plat and removing it from the game is not as hard as it would be if there were automated systems that would allow spreading it all over the place.

What ? Auction Houses usually come with logs tracing all the transactions.

There are other reasons why they don't implement that, this is definitely not one of them

55 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Auction Houses usually come with logs tracing all the transactions.

And where are these logs archived? They do not want to increase riven max slots because they cannot spare HDD space.

Now Trading is entirely P2P, just like Matchmaking.

The system you want will require an actual server and bandwith for it. 

Edited by Zakkhar

Reporting from DE's official stance on this, stated in multiple interviews, DevStreams, and TennoCon once (that I remember):

They don't want one.

DE have made changes, and expressed their desire to continue making changes, to the existing system so that it makes it easier, faster and more intuitive for players. For example, in the Trading UI now, if a player adds anything from a Set, it actually lists off all the other items in that set and highlights them in turn when the player adds them as well.

They do not want, however, to ever stop the trading system from being player-to-player directly, with them both online, with them both in the same instanced server connected to DE's servers, and able to be monitored.

The reason they implemented this in the first place is not because of Server space or anything, it's not even because of Plat being purchasable with real world currency. The reason is because Warframe is Peer to Peer coded. Meaning that when you're in mission, only one person is in communication with the DE servers to record the progress of the game for the other three. That one person is the Host and the other players are connected to them, as Clients, not to DE's servers.

What this means is that DE had a major and systemic problem with code injection when Hosts would disconnect on purpose. It allowed players to pretend that large amounts of resources, or rare mods, dropped between the time when the Host disconnected and the players were reconnected to a new Host or back to DE's servers.

And they decided that it wouldn't be the same for Trading. So Trading is only conducted on a server-connected location (like the Dojo or Maroo's) to monitor each and every trade. That's how the trade data is logged, that's how they can ensure no funny business with disconnects, and that's how they keep it all secure.

Would they want to make their own form of interface somewhere like Maroo's where a player can check recent Trades for information on how their items have been selling? Maybe, yeah. Would they want to implement something where you can compare Rivens recently traded for the same weapon and see how much those traded for? Maybe, yeah.

But that's about the limit of what they're likely to do.

There will never be, according to DE, a passive Marketplace in Warframe that can be active while you're not online.

• Like 1

Even if it has to be in person, it wouldn't be hard to make a UI where you can invite players that are buying or selling something you want, then they can message you while you're not in trade chat. Also, Warframe is the only game I know where you're pretty much forced to use third-party software or websites to get the full value - why can't it be in-game, wouldn't it be easier and safer to monitor trades that happen entirely in Warframe? Besides, there's been plenty of cases where someome has illegal platinum and has traded it to someone, then that person has spent it and gotten banned because they spent the illegal platinum they had no idea was illegal. It's just kinda annoying having to either spend hours in trade chat or have 2 devices up at once just to not waste my time.

On 2024-06-13 at 3:43 AM, JackG50822 said:

Even if it has to be in person, it wouldn't be hard to make a UI where you can invite players that are buying or selling something you want, then they can message you while you're not in trade chat.

Well, yeah, except that how would they do that within the confines of this specific situation?

DE do not want to implement a system where you can passively list your stuff for sale when you're not active. They want you to put your goods out there, and be there to receive the requests. They want you in Trade Chat advertising or requesting.

It is a shame that it's specifically terrible to do that, when there's the options of listing your stuff up and just talking to people directly when you find a listing you want to buy... But it does have room for improvement.

The only interface I can think of them doing is specifically one you have to set up every time you log in, choosing your items and listing them as to sell or to buy, and this would only be visible to others when you're in some kind of trading hub.

Which is... kind of what happens in Maroo's, on a limited scale. If you load in and see people selling, the items they're selling can render over their heads like a billboard, so you can see what some of them are offering. Of course, it's blown out by people offering a dozen things, and looking for thirty more... But it's a start.

There might be way better ideas out there, I don't know.

It's just going to fall within the stated criteria; specifically that it's not going to be a passive market others can browse or buy from without you being there.

On 2024-06-12 at 5:11 AM, JackG50822 said:

- Has many ads making it difficult to navigate
- Requires a separate sign-up, which could lead to security issues

Use UBLOCK + ADLOCK

- All trading happens in Warframe proper, making it safer and allowing for selling while offline

Trading items (offline) is faar from secure
- A player may priced it as bidding (misstaken) and sold for under his required minimum
- B player are not able to bargin for better prices

- A way to message sellers to barter prices (also a setting to disallow barters) (this would mean needing to implement offline messaging which may not be possible)

As mention above, require player Online and you whisper for Contant
Important (DONT MODIFY FIRST MESSAGE)
Send an "offer bid <price> Platinum" as second message

- Maybe a limited amount of trade space, with more purchaseable with Platinum? (maybe 6 with 12 more for 20 platinum each)

We have limited trade spaced to encurage ppl to RANK your Mastery, you get +1 per Rank.
- Having more would in the end make this obselete.... Unlimited trade?
- This is implented to prevent Excertion of trades per day (think before trade) "get more parts in ONE-Trade-Window" that 1 by 1.

- More convenient for antisocial or shy people (like me) to trade without making contact

Antisocial has nothing to do basicly with an Game (IGT)
You dont meet them Face-to-Face physically.

Quick Whisper (original Message) > Bid offers "if u wanna try get it cheaper"
Upon accepted bets, invite > Dojo or Relay Trade = Done

You dont have to Type or "communicate" then whats required.

On 2024-06-15 at 3:58 AM, Birdframe_Prime said:

The only interface I can think of them doing is specifically one you have to set up every time you log in, choosing your items and listing them as to sell or to buy, and this would only be visible to others when you're in some kind of trading hub.

Which is... kind of what happens in Maroo's, on a limited scale. If you load in and see people selling, the items they're selling can render over their heads like a billboard, so you can see what some of them are offering. Of course, it's blown out by people offering a dozen things, and looking for thirty more... But it's a start.

Yeah, Maroo's is okay, but it should be accessable during missions. I should be able to make my listings, jump into a mission, then jump out when someone wants to trade. It especially feels weird when an unofficial website is more efficient and feature-complete than the official game and website. I mostly don't want to spend hours skimming trade chat when it could be so much easier. We shouldn't need two devices just so console players can trade effectively.

13 hours ago, JackG50822 said:

Yeah, Maroo's is okay, but it should be accessable during missions.

That, my friend, is functionally impossible.

Because only the Host is connected to DE's servers, and only enough that they can provide information for Host Migration to save you (if it's able to). As a client you are completely disconnected from the servers and instead connected to the Host.

That's how Warframe's Peer-to-Peer net-code works. You literally cannot access a trade system while in mission, because you're either entirely unconnected, or in a limited connection to allow you to host other players without dropping them due to using too much bandwidth for the server connection.

Do you see why what you're asking for hasn't already been done?

DE aren't against improving the way we trade. They've made multiple updates in the last year or so alone. There are just, as stated by them, limitations on what they will implement, and there are limitations due to how this game actually works on what they can do.