The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Firefox + Open world areas + low RAM, also problematic with railjack ?

Valfar_de

Question

Hi,

most of the time I have one Firefox Tab open because of warframe.market and have had regular crashes to desktop while in the open world areas, sometimes with the notification "out of memory" or similar.

Anyone else with an old PC who experiences this ?

I have already set everything to low, lack the money for anything new, so for now I have to remember to close Firefox before entering open world areas.

I have not experienced this with regular or railjack missions yet. Anyone else ?

Was searching for solutions concerning Firefox, tried some and never have multiple tabs open even, nothing helped.

Edited by Valfar_de

8 answers to this question

To @Valfar_de,

During my Laptop days, I had the same problems with Firefox and my two hundreds opened tabs...

You could need more Memory (not ram) but VIRTUAL MEMORY,

When you have 2 big programs, the active one use RAM and the other (in background) go in virtual memory,

Because Firefox is a heavy memory user and switching from Warframe to Firefox use a lot of it (if not : "out of memory"),

You also need a 50-60Go of free memory in you main Drive (SSD or NOT) which is easy as I use steam to transfert games into the second drive ^^,

GL n' GG,

• Like 2

@Myscho : "Youre running on 4GB RAM or something ? "

🤣 : That a comment from a baby chrome user... My Firefox alone with 42 active tabs is using 3,2 Go.

😅 : I have more that 300 tabs that can be opened. When I open and refresh a hundreds of them it can go up to 10Go of ram memory for firefox ALONE

😇 : Seriously, even with enough RAM, you can go out of memory because it's how windows handle memory that matters not the quantity of it;

You can check about:memory > and "free memory" section". I don't know if that helps. My firefox with 6 tabs open (just wf.com posts, without any videos/images) goes from 1240 to 850 (more or less) but it fluctuates (sometimes go higher or lower).

You can check other browser. MS Edge with some news site open had ~600mb. I heard new Opera is good for limiting memory but last time I've checked it it was something about GBs not MBs. So may not be useful in your case.

I've used RAMmap on my old system (integrated card, 8GB ram). Win 8.1 used to be wonky sometimes. You had enough memory BUT it still used HDD. Windows used my RAM for some cache & stuffs instead of current stuffs. I've deleted that stuffs with RAMmap from time to time.

2 hours ago, RLanzinger said:

During my Laptop days, I had the same problems with Firefox and my two hundreds opened tabs...

+1

Virtual memory helps. It prevents crashes (out of memory). However with HDDs (especially old) it won't be pleasant experience. It may allow OP to play but there would be long load times & shutters (when game load something, like sounds transmissions).

2 hours ago, Myscho said:

Youre running on 4GB RAM or something ? 

1 hour ago, RLanzinger said:

@Myscho : "Youre running on 4GB RAM or something ? "

🤣 : That a comment from a baby chrome user... My Firefox alone with 42 active tabs is using 3,2 Go.

😅 : I have more that 300 tabs that can be opened. When I open and refresh a hundreds of them it can go up to 10Go of ram memory for firefox ALONE

😇 : Seriously, even with enough RAM, you can go out of memory because it's how windows handle memory that matters not the quantity of it;

4GB is minimum win11 requirement. I'm not sure if you can even run something on this without freezes.

I've used 8B with integrated card and it was "ok" (lots of freezes  & load times etc). Duviri & Albrecht labs were end of that specs. Now I'm on GTX 4B + 8GB RAM and it's "fine".

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb RLanzinger:

To @Valfar_de,

When you have 2 big programs, the active one use RAM and the other (in background) go in virtual memory,

Because Firefox is a heavy memory user and switching from Warframe to Firefox use a lot of it (if not : "out of memory"),

You also need a 50-60Go of free memory in you main Drive (SSD or NOT) which is easy as I use steam to transfert games into the second drive ^^,

GL n' GG,

Your link mentions:

"[...]Quick tip: The virtual memory size is unique to each device and can't be generalized. However, usually, it's recommended to use a number that's one and a half times the total available memory for the "Initial size" and three times the available memory for the "Maximum size" when possible. You also have to make sure that the device has enough free space to store the new page file.[...]"

So I have 8 GB RAM (meant by "available memory" I guess) and I will try to set values to 12 and 24 GB for that and see what happens....

I have more than 200 GB free space on my HDD Harddrive.

Btw my task manager tells me with just this tab open Firefox uses 970 MB.

Edited by Valfar_de

vor 4 Stunden schrieb quxier:

Virtual memory helps. It prevents crashes (out of memory). However with HDDs (especially old) it won't be pleasant experience. It may allow OP to play but there would be long load times & shutters (when game load something, like sounds transmissions).

I will test it, maybe with different numbers. If nothing helps I will simply have to close my browser before entering open world areas.

• Like 1

FWIW, I always have Firefox and Chrome open with a few tabs each in the background when I'm playing as I leave mail and other stuff open. I use both due to oddities with certain pages. I also have 16 gigs of memory. So plenty, but not crazy amounts.

There was a Firefox update a few days ago and last night (while not in Warframe) FF was gobbling up way more memory than usual. I'm not sure why, maybe they broke something with the update or a page was going crazy.

As mentioned above, I have set the virtual memory to 12-24 GB. So far I have had no crashes, instead sometimes frozen screens for a few seconds in open worlds, then the game continues. I prefer not to run Firefox while in open worlds but sometimes I forget to turn it off, so this is a kind of insurance.

It does not seem to affect gameplay or performance in general.