Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Is Obsolete

AudioRejectz

Personally I feel mastery and weapons need looking at, as personally I feel mastery is usless.

I'm almost mastery 13 and have every weapon/frame in game, I'm just waiting to do the last few on my PS4, which should take me to 14. But the thing is, all weapons or at leaste most of the weapons that require higher mastery, seem pretty avarage or usless.

A lot of them have lower status proc chances than many weapons that are on mastery 0 or low mastery requirements.

As well has feats that render them not to good with the new damage system, though I am aware that is being addressed.

Now I am not saying there should be God like weapons for higher mastery ranks, far from it, as that would probably spoil the balance. But I kinda feel there should be some benefit from having higher mastery weapons,apart from just having something else to grind for

Personally I feel mastery and weapons need looking at, as personally I feel mastery is usless.

I'm almost mastery 13 and have every weapon/frame in game, I'm just waiting to do the last few on my PS4, which should take me to 14. But the thing is, all weapons or at leaste most of the weapons that require higher mastery, seem pretty avarage or usless.

A lot of them have lower status proc chances than many weapons that are on mastery 0 or low mastery requirements.

As well has feats that render them not to good with the new damage system, though I am aware that is being addressed.

Now I am not saying there should be God like weapons for higher mastery ranks, far from it, as that would probably spoil the balance. But I kinda feel there should be some benefit from having higher mastery weapons,apart from just having something else to grind for

Take my votes!

Mastery needs to be used more, DE has it as a big part of the game but hardly ever use it. Depending on your mastery level, you should be able to deploy more than one extractor at a time.

DE should also be mastery locking more weapons (inb4 someone says: "CONTENT SHOULD NOT BE LOCKED BEHIND A WALL ASDFJKLSDHAG"). Mastery locking some better weapons (Galatine should be like 7 maybe 8. It is def an end-game melee weapon) would imo help bring not only some balance to the game, but also help the game have actually progress to it. As you use more gear and level up, you unlock the next tier/better gear. It would give a sense of actually working towards something.

The mastery system is there it should be used more effectively then it currently is.

Mastery needs to be used more, DE has it as a big part of the game but hardly ever use it. Depending on your mastery level, you should be able to deploy more than one extractor at a time.

DE should also be mastery locking more weapons (inb4 someone says: "CONTENT SHOULD NOT BE LOCKED BEHIND A WALL ASDFJKLSDHAG"). Mastery locking some better weapons (Galatine should be like 7 maybe 8. It is def an end-game melee weapon) would imo help bring not only some balance to the game, but also help the game have actually progress to it. As you use more gear and level up, you unlock the next tier/better gear. It would give a sense of actually working towards something.

The mastery system is there it should be used more effectively then it currently is.

+1.

But to OP I will say that I think a lot of the mastery locked clantech is better than the market stuff.  But that's just my opinion.

Totally agree.

I know some people complain when mastery levels are to high. But personally I feel that gives people something to aim for.

If they were worried about high mastery weapons messing with the balance of the game, why not start giving skins/weapon skins for mastery. Gives the players something special for there work, but gives them no advantage over other players.

Completely disagree.

The mastery system is the answer to 'end game' because it keeps the focus on the repeated rank progression from 0->30, and keeps players all over the mid game. Online games have been trying to accomplish that for decades. If we get comfy with calling weapons the primary incentive, then they're going to have to be good enough weapons to be incentive to keep going... and then good enough to keep going after that... and after that... inevitably turning it into a gear progression of better and better weapons which will naturally require harder and harder content to challenge players using them and defeat the whole original purpose of the mastery system.

Weapons need to be a side venue. A bonus. We need a whole different thing to be the incentive and it should NOT make a player stronger in any way or on any level. It should be avatars, syandana's, maybe aura effects, special color pallets like metallic colors, titles, badges, skins, special considerations like earning extra points for your clan on scoreboards after events, special early access to new items, or a token system to let players specifically get some item that RNG has denied them for a long time.

Maybe there could be a compromise on novelty items like a powerful cannon weapon that when fired has a chance to explode and harm the user, or a sword that makes you come off the ground and move towards the mouse cursor when you swing it. Not amazing stats, just 'cool' weapons that players want because they'd be fun to use.

The idea that weapon/player-strength and mastery requirements are linked in any way is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE place to start a discussion of where to go with mastery IMO.

Edited by VKhaun

Completely disagree.

The mastery system is the answer to 'end game' because it keeps the focus on the repeated rank progression from 0->30, and keeps players all over the mid game. Online games have been trying to accomplish that for decades. If we get comfy with calling weapons the primary incentive, then they're going to have to be good enough weapons to be incentive to keep going... and then good enough to keep going after that... and after that... inevitably turning it into a gear progression of better and better weapons which will naturally require harder and harder content to challenge players using them and defeat the whole original purpose of the mastery system.

Weapons need to be a side venue. A bonus. We need a whole different thing to be the incentive and it should NOT make a player stronger in any way or on any level. It should be avatars, syandana's, maybe aura effects, special color pallets like metallic colors, titles, badges, skins, special considerations like earning extra points for your clan on scoreboards after events, special early access to new items, or a token system to let players specifically get some item that RNG has denied them for a long time.

Maybe there could be a compromise on novelty items like a powerful cannon weapon that when fired has a chance to explode and harm the user, or a sword that makes you come off the ground and move towards the mouse cursor when you swing it. Not amazing stats, just 'cool' weapons that players want because they'd be fun to use.

The idea that weapon/player-strength and mastery requirements are linked in any way is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE place to start a discussion of where to go with mastery IMO.

I never once said that higher mastery weapons should be stronger, I think I even said that doing that would mess with the balance.I said there should be a benefit for higher mastery levels. Just like the next post I made which said it could be something purely cosmetic Edited by AudioRejectz

I never once said that higher mastery weapons should be stronger, I think I even said that doing that would mess with the balance.I said there should be a benefit for higher mastery levels. Just like the next post I made which said it could be something purely cosmetic

Well they should if not for the increase effort to get them.

I never once said that higher mastery weapons should be stronger, I said there should be a benefit for higher mastery levels. Just like the next post I made which said it could be something purely cosmetic

Then why do you think I disagree with you?

There are other people posting in the thread.

Mastery locking some better weapons (Galatine should be like 7 maybe 8. It is def an end-game melee weapon) would imo help bring not only some balance to the game, but also help the game have actually progress to it. As you use more gear and level up, you unlock the next tier/better gear. It would give a sense of actually working towards something.

Personally I'd prefer the mastery ranks to be rewarded with cosmetic rewards.

Weather it be unique skins/pallets and so on. Then there wouldn't be any complaints from newer players feeling under powered, but gives them something to aim for if they want to look totally badass

In my opinion mastery rank SHOULD affect weapons but only until about level 5. I would like to see more complicated weapons at higher mastery levels to keep new players from jumping in, grabbing a miter because they think it looks cool, and being terrible with it. Assuming perfect weapon balance (which will never happen) I think things like the Lanka and Miter should be mastery rank 5 and most hitscan weapons with pull trigger to fire functions should be 1. Things like the bows, which have flight time but are not necessarily overly complicated to use, could be mastery 3. However, like most people who aren't in the World Of Warcraft LEVELS MAKES YOU STRONGER LOLOLOL camp I do not think higher mastery weapons should be particularly BETTER than anything else.

Past mastery level 5, I'm not even sure why it exists to be honest. I wouldn't even want cosmetic things in there because who is ever going to reach level 30 and why do they get something I don't? Because they've played the game longer? That's really all mastery rank equates to. Play the game the longest with the most number of weapons. I'd rather see mastery transferred to weapons. Have 5 levels of mastery for each weapon maybe tied to number of kills and each level unlock a new skin for the weapon (Prime, Vandal, Grineer, and Infected, maybe a 5th for something creative). That would give you something cool to show off on your favorite weapons. The same could be done for warframes. But tying overall rewards with something that requires no skill to get but requires a gigantic investment in time seems ludicrous to me.

Edited by Robsbot

I have to agree over all and then some. With the introduction of the challenges to the game, both the mastery system and challenge system should be used in a greater effect. Mastery ranks should be actually giveing a real reward of some kind and the challenges should be handing out some kind of tangable reward as well. Think something like Borderlands 2 should be in effect.

ahh...yes Boarderlands 2, that was a great game, tempting to pay it again.

anywai... Yeh I would agree totally with the mastery, and how it is being used. Seriously, it takes like what... no mastery for the Vectis? yet it shoots as fast, has a higher crit chance, and has a better base damage build compaired to the Lanka. Dont get me wrong, I love my Lanka, but after awhile it gets to the point where that Vectis starts looking really good, and shows how much it devalues the Lanka in rank requirements.

To be honest, the Lanka was better in damage 1.0 because it had a base damage type, not a elemental type, and it fired serrated blades instead of energy bolts which would ignore armor, and just cut though shield like butter up against a hot edge knife. Now without that base damage, its just utterly annoying. Because you have to rely on elemental builds, and its just not worth my time in ranking it over and over. While I can just pick up my Vectis and do almost, or better than the Lanka.

(sorry for the ranting =_=)

Are ranked require weapons like the clan weapons being devalued? I say YES.

Should they be affected with nerfs and buffs like everyother weapon? I say NO, because they are not like everyother weapon, because you have to obtain them from a clan, or from the market (if any that are high tier requirements).

atleast make it worth my while to go after these weapons, and the ranks to get them.

It would be nice if they handed out an exp reward like an on use capsule like item. Something like that so that we could apply the reward to a specific weapon so we could cut down on some of the grinding. That would be especially good for the melee weapons issue.

Mastery always was useless,unless you cared to get those crap dojo weapons besides  Acrid and Ogris prior to dmg 1.0.