The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, 11.5...

ROSING

I love how a majority of people on this forum have this notion that a developer MUST go in order to their updates.

DE has had updates in random increments for a while..

11.0.0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7

11.1.0/1/2/3

11.3.0/1/2/3

If they had to go by number, they should have gone to patch X.X.9 before the next update, but that's clearly not the case.

On the other hand, maybe if they DID go to X.X.9, we wouldn't have nearly as many bugs, because that many patches would help fix a ton of them.

You don't know how version numbers work. Or maybe you do. I can't tell. It's not like 9 small hotfixes is better than 1 good hotfix.

First digit is for the big updates which happen every other month give or take, second is for the weekly update, third is for the hotfix.

So 11.4.5 would be update 11, fourth weekly update, fifth hotfix.

If they went from 11.2 to 11.5 with nothing inbetween, that would be random. If I understand correctly 11.4 will have an event that leads up to 11.5 which will be big.

Edited by VegetableBasket

Version numbers are mostly a reference for the developpers themselves with the main number usually indicating a major change, then a less impactful one then another less impactful one and so on and so forth.

So going from 11.3 to 11.5 instead of 11.4 simply means what will be added in the next patch is substancial enough to warrant the notification of 11.5 without changing core elements of the game.

Besides, the X.5 doesn't mean 5 tenth; it's exactly "11 point 5" ... it could even be 11.45.0 or anything they like. It's more like "version 11, update 5" or... as it stands right now, "version 11, update 3, hotfix 3" or 11.3.3.

Again, it's mostly for developper reference... and there's plenty of other ways to write up a software version update nomination. All depends on the dev team really; we just happen to see it as they see it.

Edited by Wiegraf

You don't know how version numbers work. Or maybe you do. I can't tell. It's not like 9 small hotfixes is better than 1 good hotfix.

First digit is for the big updates which happen every other month give or take, second is for the weekly update, third is for the hotfix.

So 11.4.5 would be update 11, fourth weekly update, fifth hotfix.

If they went from 11.2 to 11.5 with nothing inbetween, that would be random. If I understand correctly 11.4 will have an event that leads up to 11.5 which will be big.

Yes, I understand the concept of version numbers perfectly well. The technical terms you are describing are more often called Primary, Incremental, and Patch.

Warframe has never gone to X.9.9 before a primary update, so the idea in the forums that they have to release even incremental updates in order is kind of dumb. Generally it happens in order, yes, but not always.

I love how a majority of people on this forum have this notion that a developer MUST go in order to their updates.

DE has had updates in random increments for a while..

11.0.0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7

11.1.0/1/2/3

11.3.0/1/2/3

If they had to go by number, they should have gone to patch X.X.9 before the next update, but that's clearly not the case.

On the other hand, maybe if they DID go to X.X.9, we wouldn't have nearly as many bugs, because that many patches would help fix a ton of them.

I don't follow, they DO go in numerical order...they go from one update (10) made 8 major fixes on it in numerical order (10.1-8) and then released the next major update (11) which should get it's fixes in numerical order (11.1-4/5?) So all things following the update tomorrow should be 11.4. But hell if it's actually 11.5 I won't mind.

so, Santa is a communist now ?

that explains red color.

Communist things usually have red and yellow, so Santa doesn't count!

McDonalds, on the other hand...

OP that's like asking if we're gonna get 11.3.4 before 11.5.

Wat

no, I was asking what update they're relasing tomorrow, 11.4 or 11.5...

Edited by ROSING

I don't follow, they DO go in numerical order...they go from one update (10) made 8 major fixes on it in numerical order (10.1-8) and then released the next major update (11) which should get it's fixes in numerical order (11.1-4/5?) So all things following the update tomorrow should be 11.4. But hell if it's actually 11.5 I won't mind.

Theoretically, yes. You, and everyone else who has said this is correct. But the devs aren't required to number an update sequentially, if the content alters the game in a meaningful way (New Tileset, Warframe), but not so meaningfully that it's an entirely different version (melee overhaul for U12), so although 11.4 would follow the standard set up, 11.5 could be just as likely.

Arguing about update numbering aside, the best I can say is, it will be Soon

they wont skip 11.4, tomorrow will be 11.4, but as Christmas is next week, and if they are not working, there is nothing to say that they wont release 11.4 and 11.5 on the same day.

The denominations of the update are usually there so the developers can have a timescale to work towards to get things fixed/brought out, if they have managed to be ahead of schedule, and everything that they wanted to be due for release in 11.5, then there is nothing stopping them bringing this out early because of Christmas, but that does not necessarily mean that it will be tomorrow.

There are always things that should be out for a certain update or patch, but are put back for some reason, that doesn't mean the number associated with that weeks patch/update is put back, the things are just not included, therefore what is is included in the patch/update does not give a basis to the number, just the number will be the number no matter what.

So whatever happens, in answer to the OP tomorrow should be called 11.4 no matter what, as to what it contains, that is the question that cannot be answered till tomorrow