Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, There Is One Odd Feature Of Character Design

BadPoetry

It's the future and one entire faction is clones who are basically gene slurry with horrible genetic problems and scarring, and a lot of creatures are robotic/mutated beyond recognition, I guess the Corpus don't exactly get out much... and then there's the Tenno who don't have any set racial characteristics, but...

Why is every humanoid so pale skinned? Not even "white" I mean like, Darvo, Lotus, Alad, Tor, every captive and rescue target, every Tenno in cryopods, for sure all the Grineer (orange glowy eyes and all)? They all have skin ranging between manila to lighter shades of chiffon lemon and silver-grey.

I mean its the far future so whatever. Humans stopped having distinctions like skin colour over the years as they separated into other distinct cultures and broke down the concept of race and then got exposed to radiation, genetic splicing and whatever? I guess. It does suddenly irk me that there's zero variation here though. Its a design element that I only recently put my finger on as being unusual. Every single character looks incredibly sick except The Lotus who may or may not even be real. It feels kind of like the South Park "goobacks" and now I feel like the Grineer are angry the Tenno took therrr jerrrbs as hireable space psychopaths.

I can confirm this. There are various skin tones in the trailer.

So... there isn't actually any reason every single human is white in-game, its just monochrome casting? That's kinda worse, even if there's only like five models that aren't Grineer with their natural faces showing, and "natural" is a shaky term to use with anyone in this crazy future.

i would be more worried about corpus women, never saw one...

Yeah at least the Grineer have a few female models, the Corpus are processed meat sausage factory. The female Grineer are mostly heavy weaponry too. Go matriarchy.

snip

Oh man racism is over guys

Edited by BadPoetry

So... there isn't actually any reason every single human is white in-game, its just monochrome casting? That's kinda worse, even if there's only like five models that aren't Grineer with their natural faces showing, and "natural" is a shaky term to use with anyone in this crazy future.

Guess what: Rhino's a G. Heh.

i would be more worried about corpus women, never saw one...

the corpus faction is just comprised full of men that they use for salvaging etc

but i would like to see a female mix in the corpus just like what they did in the grineer then again the corpus faction may just look down on females and may not want them in the faction

It looks like a protective layer or something.

Yeah true, I've never looked as close as that image before but a closer look makes it look a lot more like an exoskeleton than skin. Plus its a cryochamber so they're probably pretty frosty in there. Still, the only possible but unconfirmed Tenno otherwise looks like Lotus. I don't think they've shown even a hint otherwise, and most likely on purpose.

Nothing about racism, I just show what was the guy said about. Sorry if it make you feel that way.

Liberally applying sarcasm is all, I'm not getting at you. I just dunno why so many people are like "nah there's one darker facial texture in a trailer background" as if that means an inexplicably ghostly white casting for every other known non-infested organic in the entire game doesn't count anymore. Like I know in a game like this there's not that much variation in each type of enemy or anything, so they're locked into one set of characteristics per type, but its a bit overwhelming that everyone looks pale and sickly. I'd add "unattractive" but Alad V and Darvo prove the look.

Why do Corpus have no women?

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2709585945

Region locked. ):

The fact that they show multiple skins there is racist because everyone else is not the color of your liking? How? So they have a majority of white skinned, I would argue pale, colorless (in the case of the deformed grineer clones) but they also show other skin tones certainly do exist. We barely see any skin on anything to begin with.

The fact that they show multiple skins there is racist because everyone else is not the color of your liking? How? So they have a majority of white skinned, I would argue pale, colorless (in the case of the deformed grineer clones) but they also show other skin tones certainly do exist. We barely see any skin on anything to begin with.

You just said exactly what I said, but, okay.

I'm not genuinely saying its racist, that was sarcasm that didn't translate from meaning to words so I completely apologise that people took that as a serious thing I was saying. It was based on a meme people post when flimsy arguments are made on issues to do with race, but it was far too strong and out of place, so apologies for blurring the point I was making with bad jokes.

What I am saying is there is a distinct lack of variation in skin tone in the game, among other things, that I found jarring. I was initially wondering whether there was a reason but it seems its just not not been a feature of anything used ingame yet. I'm not directing this so much at the race of clones, but they're not exempt either.

What I would suggest is in general some new ideas and variation be used in character design as while I focused on the pale sickly look of most NPCs that have any showing, its a finer point in a bigger issue. Most designs in this game are really interesting and different, but there's elements which repeat themselves a lot and it'd be good to see them being changed up in the future.

Well, to be fair, when travelling across the stars one doesn't usually get sun exposure (because out in space exposure to the sun without Earth's magnetic field tends to spell certain death and/or super space skin cancer). After many generations of living in controlled environments, the level of melanin in the skin would drop simply due to eventual adaptation. 

Melanin and dark skin pigments are natural responses/traits that developed over thousands and thousands of years of varying conditions (humans from the north where it was cold had to bundle up to stay warm, which resulted in very little direct sunlight on their skin while people who live towards the equator and in much warmer environments tend to have darker skin as a result of increased sun exposure).

Well, to be fair, when travelling across the stars one doesn't usually get sun exposure (because out in space exposure to the sun without Earth's magnetic field tends to spell certain death and/or super space skin cancer). After many generations of living in controlled environments, the level of melanin in the skin would drop simply due to eventual adaptation.

And for the Grineer, since they're really bad clones, they could lack melanin entirely. :P

But, I haven't paid their skin tone much attention. Too busy pewpewing everything.

Edited by Sidathe

Melanin and dark skin pigments are natural responses/traits that developed over thousands and thousands of years of varying conditions (humans from the north where it was cold had to bundle up to stay warm, which resulted in very little direct sunlight on their skin while people who live towards the equator and in much warmer environments tend to have darker skin as a result of increased sun exposure).

And for the Grineer, since they're really bad clones, they could lack melanin entirely. :P

But, I haven't paid their skin tone much attention. Too busy pewpewing everything.

Bing bing this was the answer I was assuming for the majority. I'm definitely not saying in thousands of years we'll be the same, I'm not stupid, conditions affect this sort of thing heavily and even without engineering, selection is gonna lead to these pale faces, clearly. But since there's confirmed other skin types I'd really, really like to see them being used, even if they too are paler than normal.

Maybe if there's a new humanoid faction we can explore the kind designs that haven't really been appropriate thus far. I'd hoped that if earth tribals is ever a thing we can see how humans end up with completely different circumstances behind them... though, there is a really unfortunate implication that the less advanced and spacefaring a culture is the darker their skin might end up being on the whole.

Well how does our skin get darker, what causes that? Sun does, do we get much sun in Warframe universe? No we don't, hence the pale skins everyone has. They also must suffer greatly from the lack of D-vitamin. Another possible way for a human to be black is by genes but even genes causing it will disappear if the people are not being exposed to the sun for centuries due to evolution.

Well how does our skin get darker, what causes that? Sun does, do we get much sun in Warframe universe? No we don't, hence the pale skins everyone has. They also must suffer greatly from the lack of D-vitamin. Another possible way for a human to be black is by genes but even genes causing it will disappear if the people are not being exposed to the sun for centuries due to evolution.

I posted pretty much seconds before this about that.

Reiterate: I know how natural selection works for this sort of thing, but since its confirmed that we're not limited to sickly pale guys as a design I'd like to see more variation.

Yes exactly. In addition to this dark skin is more thick than white skin is in order to protect the body from the heat and too much UV-radiation which will lead up to all sorts of skin cancers and whatnot. In space though, due to the lack of sun exposure it is better for them to have white skin generally because it can suck up UV-radiation more effectively since it is rare and vital for human body to get a correct amount of that UV-radiation and D-vitamin to maintain body functionality.

I posted pretty much seconds before this about that.

Reiterate: I know how natural selection works for this sort of thing, but since its confirmed that we're not limited to sickly pale guys as a design I'd like to see more variation.

You did beat me to it certainly, did not bother to read it all I admit it.

EDIT: And I agree that there should be more variation like in real life as well, even if it might not make as much sense in some cases but in some cases such as Phobos, all should be dark skinned enemies so I'm all for it.

Edited by BETAOPTICS