The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Blatant Stupidy Accceptable But Trolling Is Not?

FrothingLoins

I see it everywhere on the internet. People who post genuinely stupid things and honestly mean it are "entitled to their opinions", but the moment somebody plays devils advocate or points out logical fallacy through example they are labeled a "troll".  You get it the worst in games with PvP, especially MOBAs.

I'm just trying to figure out why E-society doesn't punish stupidity as hard as they do trolling (Even when the troll has a purpose.)

You misspelled stupidity in the thread title.

OT: People are taught from an early age that everyone is entitled to an opinion. What they never (almost never) learn is that not all opinions should be voiced. As for people being labeled a troll... I don't know, I think it is a defense mechanism that has just become ingrained into them. And once you're labeled a troll people can't help but jump on the bandwagon.

Captain Obvious: pointing out jokes and intentional typos since 1993.

Edited by FrothingLoins

OT: People are taught from an early age that everyone is entitled to an opinion. What they never (almost never) learn is that not all opinions should be voiced. As for people being labeled a troll... I don't know, I think it is a defense mechanism that has just become ingrained into them. And once you're labeled a troll people can't help but jump on the bandwagon.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

I am so glad somebody pointed out the joke that I made to ensure interest in the thread.

Captain Obvious saves the day :D

The typo was intentional? I totally believe you. 

Look over my past threads. I pretty much always have something to entice interest in the titles. It's part of writing!

on the kitchen floor is not natural. Not potty trained is upbringing.

Actually one could argue that defecating anywhere besides where you eat and sleep is natural instinct and Potty training is unnatural. Does this mean we should stop domesticating animals and rearing children?

I'd have to say it's because stupid isn't always intentional. Sometimes, stupid even comes about from people who mean well, but don't exactly articulate or think well.

Trolling on the other hand is an intent to act in a certain way that is disruptive and counterproductive. It's planned, not accidental.

Granted, they can both sometimes have the same end result. But intent has to be taken into account somewhere down the line. In inappropriately morbid terms, it's kind of like the difference between manslaughter and premeditated murder.

Hope that helps you understand the etiquette surrounding these two facets of human behavior.

I'd have to say it's because stupid isn't always intentional. Sometimes, stupid even comes about from people who mean well, but don't exactly articulate or think well.

Trolling on the other hand is an intent to act in a certain way that is disruptive and counterproductive. It's planned, not accidental.

Granted, they can both sometimes have the same end result. But intent has to be taken into account somewhere down the line. In inappropriately morbid terms, it's kind of like the difference between manslaughter and premeditated murder.

Hope that helps you understand the etiquette surrounding these two facets of human behavior.

That is the kind of insightful post I was looking for( ҉ )

Don't listen to him, he's just trollin.

Does this mean we should stop domesticating animals and rearing children?

To be fair, Most shouldn't be allowed to reproduce these days.. Just watch the news, reality tv or browse Facebook/twitter. Plenty of examples of natural selection failing to save humanity :(

Anyhow, as previously stated, everybody is entitled to an opinion. Doesn't mean they should voice it. Kinda like that old saying "Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt".

Those who cry "Troll" just as an insult when somebody points out that they are wrong or misinformed are simply incompetent. Your better off ignoring them.

To be fair, Most shouldn't be allowed to reproduce these days.. Just watch the news, reality tv or browse Facebook/twitter. Plenty of examples of natural selection failing to save humanity :(

Anyhow, as previously stated, everybody is entitled to an opinion. Doesn't mean they should voice it. Kinda like that old saying "Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt".

Those who cry "Troll" just as an insult when somebody points out that they are wrong or misinformed are simply incompetent. Your better off ignoring them.

I'd have to ignore 95% of posts on every forum if I followed that last bit of advice :C.

Also, I fully support breeding licenses for humans and an expansion of the "ward of state" programs. Incompetent parents destroy the world.

By coincidance. I am firmly on the side of zero population growth. The only reason to have a large family is for running a small farm or agricultural operation. "Because I want to" is no excuse for creating unsustainable burdens on the planet's natural resources.

Edited by FrothingLoins