The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Boar Prime A Strong Gun With The Right Mods

vApexpredator

Question

13 answers to this question

always remember that dps in that site its a base number, because you can always build the gun to kill specific enemies, i recommend you to make specific damage build to the enemie base like corpus, grineer and infested and for voids the stander that the dps site shows off. that number 18k or 19k its just an overall way to look at how much damage the gun can do in a certain amount of time. that don't mean that its 18k dps against all enemies of all levels.

just saying

I'm a personal user of the Boar Prime, and I love it so much. Here's the build I use:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219081243 (sorry, can't put an image on forums, Steam's not processing it :l)

Note that I use Vicious Spread, that's because I personally feel the extra damage negates the spread loss. Personal opinion though, feel free to use Tainted Shell if you really want to lower that spread.

but guiz, dps is everthing! boar prime=king!

anyhow, boar prime is a decent gun, yes, it can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time, but it eats through ammo like no other (maybe like the twin vipers). sobek is solid, also automatic, though. I'm using the hek right now, and the sobek is sort of the impact counterpart (sort of). both have good damage and status, which is the main reason I'm using the hek. with the right status effects, you can have a lot of crowd control, but its also highly dependent on the faction you're facing. for example, gas is a great crowd control effect, but it's only really useful against the infested. for other factions, you'll want to put on some blast damage. another big draw to status shotguns (this includes sobek, tigris, and the hek. hek is best because of pellet count, technically) is using the viral status. although some enemies resist it, the proc alone takes out a lot of health

so all in all, I'd say sobek, but I really like abusing status effects. and I think this DPS-centric way of evaluating guns is ridiculous. damage per shot is a good indicator, but some guns have naturally higher base damage, so you can't technically compare them one to one. whatever gets the job done, I say. and unless you want to use mainly your secondary or you want to burn through a lot of ammo restores, don't use boar prime. these are, however, both fine options

but guiz, dps is everthing! boar prime=king!

anyhow, boar prime is a decent gun, yes, it can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time, but it eats through ammo like no other (maybe like the twin vipers). sobek is solid, also automatic, though. I'm using the hek right now, and the sobek is sort of the impact counterpart (sort of). both have good damage and status, which is the main reason I'm using the hek. with the right status effects, you can have a lot of crowd control, but its also highly dependent on the faction you're facing. for example, gas is a great crowd control effect, but it's only really useful against the infested. for other factions, you'll want to put on some blast damage. another big draw to status shotguns (this includes sobek, tigris, and the hek. hek is best because of pellet count, technically) is using the viral status. although some enemies resist it, the proc alone takes out a lot of health

so all in all, I'd say sobek, but I really like abusing status effects. and I think this DPS-centric way of evaluating guns is ridiculous. damage per shot is a good indicator, but some guns have naturally higher base damage, so you can't technically compare them one to one. whatever gets the job done, I say. and unless you want to use mainly your secondary or you want to burn through a lot of ammo restores, don't use boar prime. these are, however, both fine options

thank you!

If you have the means, the Boar Prime is definitely worth pursuing.

It's closest competitor is the Sobek (which is much easier to get). I have both, and prefer the BP by a wide margin. It kills faster, reloads faster, and I've never had any real issues with ammo. The Sobek has superior range and is more suitable for vicious spread, but tactics can turn that advantage either way.

Both need formas to reach their potential. They both work best with a heavy elemental build, though the BP does respond better to crit mods. Still, elementals are superior overall. I've never run into serious ammo issues with the BP, but I do run a mutation. I never bother with ammo mods with the Sobek, since if it runs out, it's simply easier to transition to the secondary; its reload speed is that bad. A little trigger discipline goes a long ways on both guns. The BP has a better damage spread, but both have massive base damage and you'll probably set them up in a similar fashion.

I like them both, but when I feel like rocking a shotgun, I'm generally reaching for the Boar Prime.