Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... Technicolor Crewmen?

GTG3000

So, I gues everyone has noticed by now that crewmen were issued new colourfull attire. 

And this is the question that bothers me - why? If the goal is to make the fights with faction slightly more arcade-y in feel, then it would make some sence.

Corpus are, as I perceive them, more about throwing endless faceless hordes at you. Unlike grineer, where every unit looks differently. Previous look of the crewmen was serving that stylistic perfectly (especially when the moas were all green all of a sudden), while new one makes their army look kind of laughable (not taking them being easy to kill into the consideration).

I would like to hear a good reason besides "it makes it easier to shoot right enemies" from the devs, and would like to propose changing corpus design to contain least differences among the faction, as well as being logical. Say - change prod crewmen into a regular crewmen with different AI, that swaps weapons as they get close enough, have sniper crewmen only be different in having an altered helmet, and restrict the suit colours to grey (all soldiers), red (techs, since they are a different wing of military), black (officer troops, all of them) and blue (VIP/non-combatants(but we never see the latter)). I would also like to see all moas to have same colour, but eh, that's nitpicking.

Same goes for the Tech design - it's quite illogical to have corpus that size, but I guess it can be explained somehow, even if by "they actually wear power assist suits".

The corpus are better as a faceless, grey horde, than a colourful rent-a-lazershow, in my opinion. What about you?

Corpus are, as I perceive them, more about throwing endless faceless hordes at you. Unlike grineer, where every unit looks differently. Previous look of the crewmen was serving that stylistic perfectly (especially when the moas were all green all of a sudden), while new one makes their army look kind of laughable (not taking them being easy to kill into the consideration).

Endless faceless hordes? What about Grineer and everyone being a CLONE! lol

I personally like the new colors and individual looks. It suits the Corpus more than it does the grineer which should be military and uniform across the board.

it helps differentiate the units, unless DE decides to make new models or something along those lines. i think the different colors is nice, and its not anything new since the detron crewman and elite crewman were different colors.

but yeah, the colors are too saturated, thats the only real issue. prod crewman can be a darker (forest) green, and sniper crewman can be closer to a more dark olive or even dark red. 

I never pictured the Corpus that way. To me, the Corpus are specialized and technical, not militaristic like the Grineer. The faceless hordes you describe sounds like my vision of the Grineer.

Lore/"realism" aside though, it's important for me to be able to identify different enemy types at a glance. Sure the specific colors DE used might not be to everyone's taste, but I personally don't mind. That being said, I also wouldn't mind if the colors were replaced with some other defining feature (alternate armors, helmets, colors, etc.)

I never pictured the Corpus that way. To me, the Corpus are specialized and technical, not militaristic like the Grineer. The faceless hordes you describe sounds like my vision of the Grineer.

Lore/"realism" aside though, it's important for me to be able to identify different enemy types at a glance. Sure the specific colors DE used might not be to everyone's taste, but I personally don't mind. That being said, I also wouldn't mind if the colors were replaced with some other defining feature (alternate armors, helmets, colors, etc.)

Well, grineer are more like a faceless horde of monsters, with none two alike (which would be true lore-wise). Corpus are more like some sort of a faceless army of future office clerks, all dressed to the same corporate standart. I don't know, corpus would look better as if they all were made on the same production line, and then just given different guns. After all, we are dealing with only their military wing.

Gameplay-wise, there is no real need to differentiate them at first glance, as they all go down in a jiffy and don't really make it worth it to target certain types on purpose before others. And even then, differentiation by different shapes (eg - Prod crewman wielding his prova is pretty obvious, and sniper crewman could have some sort of a big "eye" thing) is better than what we have right now. Simple behavior is plenty enough (as well as adding some difficulty).

Either way, I see that point. It wasn't broken in the first place tho.

I want them to be more diverse with logic.

Sniper, should be faster, strike from afar, possibly have a cloak and a different helmet.

Melee crewmen should be armoured since they run at the enemy like crazy.

Techs should have a new model with gear that reads technician and builder.

Exoskeleton have been suggested.

As for color, well I am not sure. What I DO want is the equivalent to Rank and Corpus Section Allegience.

Frohd has a color and a symbol, so does Darvo and Al. This should be apparant since we soon will see corpus fighting corpus, Im sure of it.

I don't mind the colors, although they could really use a bit of de-saturation.

Rather than plain colors it would be nice to see some digital camo patterns tinted for each type, and as many said different behavior; seeing the lanka guys spamming bullets at close range is rather weird.

I guess this will be the main way of spotting different enemy types until new models are made.

I agree that it does quite help differentiate corpus troop types (especially for spotting those snipers for scans). I agree that a bit duller colours would be nice though. Thought corpus rangers when I first saw the new colours. Perhaps it's part of the indoctrination. 

I rather like the new colours.  It helps differentiate the various corpus crewman types.  

That being said, I'd rather there were a few changes made to the models themselves -- different helmet shapes or backpacks or shoulder pads or whatever -- something that makes their silhouette obviously different at a distance.

But, I'll take what I can get...  Colours are better than nothing.

Just thinking, all the colors remind me of the deck crew of an aircraft carrier. Color-coded uniforms is a quick way to be able to tell at a glance what a crewman's function is. Since all the crewmen except the Techs have pretty much the same silhouette, it would make sense that they would have SOME way of telling each other apart.

Just thinking, all the colors remind me of the deck crew of an aircraft carrier. Color-coded uniforms is a quick way to be able to tell at a glance what a crewman's function is. Since all the crewmen except the Techs have pretty much the same silhouette, it would make sense that they would have SOME way of telling each other apart.

Except they probably have fof systems in their helmet visors?

It makes sense that the corporate hordes have colour coded, but otherwise identical uniforms. It provides quick reference to one's position. Especially if one is not currently using their weapon. Lore-wise, it makes a reasonable amount of sense.

As far as differences, I'd say alter the helmet tops (the part that pops off) for each role. Give the prod crewmen a dome-shaped visor for improved field of view in close quarters. Give the snipers a more low-profile top with a single, larger lens. Detron crewmen would get something similar to the prod, but perhaps with more armour and less visor; a band instead of a dome. 

Techs, I think, should get a unique model. Perhaps an exoskeleton, as some have proposed. Something to justify the stature other than being a giant human.