Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Origin Story

Rajkot

I don't know if anybody's said anything about this yet, and maybe I'm just being stupid; but has anybody read the description for Ember Prime in the codex recently?

Before the last update I could have sworn that there wasn't anything notable there. Just the usual "and alternate version of Ember" thing that adorns all the Primes save Excalibur. Except now there's something new.

To cut a long story short, as you all can probably just go to the codex and read it, it talks about children being found on a ship that's returned from "the fold" and that the woman who made contact with them seems to be very badly burned. If you take what the Excalibur Prime (and Excalibur) description says, the tenno were "those twisted few" who were retrieved from "the void".

So are these (the children) supposed to be the Tenno? 

The one problem I see with this is that it doesn't really line up with what's in Dark Sector, the (sort of, almost) prequel to Warframe. I'll let the more knowledgeable people of the comments chew on this and say what they think;but seriously read it, it's rather strange.

I remember reading that Dark Sector was merely inspiration for this game.  Dark Sector was supposed to be warframe but no publishers liked the idea back in those days so they changed it to waht dark sector is (was) now (then)

Edited by Toztman

From what I understand, the original Ember is the woman the narrative's about. Whoever those children are, is something different.

I'm liking this kind of twist at the way of telling the story. Keep it coming DE, I couldn't help but check all the Frames descriptions again in hopes of something more...

I don't know if anybody's said anything about this yet, and maybe I'm just being stupid; but has anybody read the description for Ember Prime in the codex recently?

Before the last update I could have sworn that there wasn't anything notable there. Just the usual "and alternate version of Ember" thing that adorns all the Primes save Excalibur. Except now there's something new.

To cut a long story short, as you all can probably just go to the codex and read it, it talks about children being found on a ship that's returned from "the fold" and that the woman who made contact with them seems to be very badly burned. If you take what the Excalibur Prime (and Excalibur) description says, the tenno were "those twisted few" who were retrieved from "the void".

So are these (the children) supposed to be the Tenno? 

The one problem I see with this is that it doesn't really line up with what's in Dark Sector, the (sort of, almost) prequel to Warframe. I'll let the more knowledgeable people of the comments chew on this and say what they think;but seriously read it, it's rather strange.

From what I understand, the original Ember is the woman the narrative's about. Whoever those children are, is something different.

I'm liking this kind of twist at the way of telling the story. Keep it coming DE, I couldn't help but check all the Frames descriptions again in hopes of something more...

Thing is ....she tried to console a child...who was discovered on ship coming back from the void.... 

this leads me to think, that burn was from the child...who was ember, and that woman is a nameless soldier.

Thing is ....she tried to console a child...who was discovered on ship coming back from the void.... 

this leads me to think, that burn was from the child...who was ember, and that woman is a nameless soldier.

Supposedly the Tenno got their powers from interacting with Void. Maybe the soldier is Ember, and that's how she got her powers; they were burned into her.

Know what the whole Warframe backstory is starting to remind me of? The movie Event Horizon.

Edited by Ryme

That was what I got the impression about as well; that these kids were the Tenno, and that this was the "first contact" so to speak.

The fact that it was a military vessel also suggests that it may have been during war time, and the Warframes were supposedly created during the war between the Orokin and Sentient (whoever either side is supposed to be). It's not actually stated of the people in the narrative or the Orokin or the Sentients; but we can assume that the people are human, as the burned woman is described in ways comparable to that of a burn victim. 

Of the numerous questions that remain; we still don't know how these children, if they are Tenno or not, got aboard the ship. Conceivably they could be the former crew, reverted to a younger age; but it's also possible that they are simply the product of the void, perhaps even based on the genetics of the human previously on the ship. 

There's also the fact that Excalibur is labeled as the "first"; so how that fits in, I'm not sure. If we take the writing to mean that the child is Ember, then it may be that Ember is the first Tenno ever interacted with, but that Excalibur was the first Tenno a Warframe was constructed for. I don't know, and I think I may have already overstepped how much assumption I can make without appearing outright biased. 

At least it's something in the way of lore. Maybe in the future, each of the Primes (and their "normal" counterparts) will be given a little narrative.

The one problem I see with this is that it doesn't really line up with what's in Dark Sector.

Because they thankfully don't regard DS as canon, as that game has had it's lore and setting twisted badly by the publisher to conform to the what was regarded as the money making trend back in the day.

What we know is that the void turns certain individuals into Tenno, and that the children haven't been put on the ship when it went missing, implying that they had been exposed to the effects of the void for prolonged amounts of time. We don't know if the void suffers from any time dilation effects compared to normal space, but its a possibility. If that's the case those kids could be more mature than they appear.

What I also gathered is that some of the races in the solar system used the void to travel at FTL speeds, leading me to believe that they had to abandon it at some point because the risk of getting lost in it were too high. I think we found at least one main motivational factor for the construction of the solar rail network, whatever it.

Because they thankfully don't regard DS as canon, as that game has had it's lore and setting twisted badly by the publisher to conform to the what was regarded as the money making trend back in the day.

What we know is that the void turns certain individuals into Tenno, and that the children haven't been put on the ship when it went missing, implying that they had been exposed to the effects of the void for prolonged amounts of time. We don't know if the void suffers from any time dilation effects compared to normal space, but its a possibility. If that's the case those kids could be more mature than they appear.

What I also gathered is that some of the races in the solar system used the void to travel at FTL speeds, leading me to believe that they had to abandon it at some point because the risk of getting lost in it were too high. I think we found at least one main motivational factor for the construction of the solar rail network, whatever it.

The problem here is they have said both things, that it is and is not cannon. The most recent thing I know of they said Hayden was the first Tenno. The Excalibur warframe entry seems to contradict it, but there have been totally plausible explanations put forward that reconcile the two though. In the end people believe what they want but either side could still be right.

The way I believe the story lines up is this...Lets assume for the sake of argument that the Orokin ship that went missing is like the Enterprise in that it not only carries military personal but their families as well. Lets also extrapolate a bit and say when it was lost in the void for some reason none of the adults survived the transition into the void which left only the children. As the story goes days later the ship somehow returns to normal space and it is found with only the children left on board all changed in one fashion or another basically mutated. They are taken to a military ship where they are experimented on and after some years are fitted with what we now know as Warframes which is used to focus each of their individual type of powers and like any Superpower seeing the advantage of such power uses them against the Sentient. The rest as we know is history, the Tenno become so powerful that the Orokin try to put them in cryopods but they rebel against the Orokin who they almost destroy and what is left of the Orokin flee into the Void. At least that is what I read into both codex descriptions.