Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

Newbs Should Not Be Allowed To Play On Mid-High Level Planets.

GSrevolution

So, yeah. Newbs (which I will define here as players with a starting frame, starting weapons and mastery < 2) should not be allowed to play on mid-high level planets (which I will define here as Uranus, Eris, Neptune, Ceres, Pluto, Sedna, Phobos, and Europa.)

I just played a Pluto invasion where I had a mastery rank 0 player with Loki, Mk1 Braton, etc. This player is constantly going down and is just not able to contribute at all. This player should not even be here.

An easy fix would be to make it so that until a player reaches mastery rank 2, they cannot progress onto these harder planets.

What do my fellow Tenno think about newbs showing up in missions on mid-high level planets?

WrMwbsP.jpg

The better question is, How did they get there in the first place. "Newbs" can't get in there on their own, because they wouldn't have even unlocked that planet.

So obviously, someone must have brought them there.

There's already a system to keep newbs from getting to those planets. It's called having the star chart locked. The people who are bypassing it are not the newbs, but the experienced players who are inviting their friends to play high level planets so they can power level.

I agree with TheThreadWeaver. Clearly he didn't bypass the entire star chart to get there. He must've been with a friend or something akin to that. Its not his fault if he doesn't understand the way enemies damage dealing abilities scale, since he's new. As long as it isn't a regular occurance, I think it shouldn't need any more regulatory walls in place.

Not a bad idea actually, mastery- locking planets (being really tolerant on the mastery though). But peeps who want to quickly up their friend who just started with warframe will cry now.

I'm being really tolerant on the mastery because it is based on the number of weapons and frames you level, not skill. A low mastery requirement simply blocks players that are still new to the game.

I learned a lot from playing with experienced players and sometimes going where I probably wasn't ready to.  You were new at one point too, cut him some slack. 

My suggestion does not block the whole map, there's still plenty of places to play. And arguably, these new players should focus on clearing the map and playing with other people around the same level.

The better question is, How did they get there in the first place. "Newbs" can't get in there on their own, because they wouldn't have even unlocked that planet.

So obviously, someone must have brought them there.

There's already a system to keep newbs from getting to those planets. It's called having the star chart locked. The people who are bypassing it are not the newbs, but the experienced players who are inviting their friends to play high level planets so they can power level.

Yup, someone brought them there all right. It would be fine if they were still forced to unlock the node, but the way it is now, a newb can be dropped off in pluto and complete all the missions there by being carried by their team. Arguably, that's not how you're supposed to progress.

I'm being really tolerant on the mastery because it is based on the number of weapons and frames you level, not skill. A low mastery requirement simply blocks players that are still new to the game.

Ah, I didnt find the right words here, I meant "they would have to be really tolerant with the mastery though", so mastery 2,3 or 4 should be the maximum required. Sorry for my grammar.

The locked starchart is enough.

Yeah maybe it is an issue that someone brought him, but that someone should have been responsible enough to teach the guy have him stand back, and be strong enough to carry the guy.

The second mission I ever did, I was carried by 3 friends to an assassination mission that due to the armor scaling my bullets literally did nothing, or would crit for 1 point against the normal mobs.  If it wasn't form them bringing me along though it would have taken a ton of time before I could start playing with them.

Yeah the invasions are a bit different but at the same time, the onus is on the guy that brought him, and really all you personally needed to do was keep going and ignore him if it bothered you, don't slow down and pick him up yourself.  Just keep going.

*edit* I also don't like the mastery rank locks unless it is ONLY mastery rank 1 limits you to, I dunno like the first 6 planets?  Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter Saturn. 

Edited by Wahooo

Ah, I didnt find the right words here, I meant "they would have to be really tolerant with the mastery though", so mastery 2,3 or 4 should be the maximum required. Sorry for my grammar.

I agree, the mastery requirement should not be extremely high, but it should be there.

The locked starchart is enough.

Perhaps then, another solution would be making sure nodes remain locked if you don't go through them in order (ie. if you are invited to someone else's game or if someone else joins your game and starts a game on a further planet.)

Yeah the invasions are a bit different but at the same time, the onus is on the guy that brought him, and really all you personally needed to do was keep going and ignore him if it bothered you, don't slow down and pick him up yourself.  Just keep going.

I generally always pick people up, unless they're being A******s.

Perhaps then, another solution would be making sure nodes remain locked if you don't go through them in order (ie. if you are invited to someone else's game or if someone else joins your game and starts a game on a further planet.)

This is how it should work.  If you don't have a neighboring planet, it shouldn't unlock.  Can get invited, sure.  But if you want to unlock it, you've got to do the missions on the way there.

I generally always pick people up, unless they're being A******s.

Yeah, That could help, but chances are it wouldn't have solved this issue, and PERSONALLY I don't like the idea of not unlocking something just because it is out of order.  But that is also because I just can't be arsed to unlock all the nodes, I find the standard missions just tiresome and there are a couple bosses that when I decided to farm all my frames I got rides to the node and then carried on by myself from there.  No issues soloing any boss but just hated the bother of unlocking the nodes on the way.

Yeah, I generally pick people up, hold elevators for an extended time, ride them back to pick someone up if another player hit the button too soon.  BUT, if someone is not really being an a-hole but is a drain on the mission?  i'm not going out of my way.  Really when you think about it though, is it THAT much of an issue?  Do they take away that much?  Annoying as are AFK leaches, especially when the case is a potato invasion and you know you have to absolutely rush it to get the battle pay, but is it so bad in the end?

Yeah, That could help, but chances are it wouldn't have solved this issue, and PERSONALLY I don't like the idea of not unlocking something just because it is out of order.  But that is also because I just can't be arsed to unlock all the nodes, I find the standard missions just tiresome and there are a couple bosses that when I decided to farm all my frames I got rides to the node and then carried on by myself from there.  No issues soloing any boss but just hated the bother of unlocking the nodes on the way.

Yeah, I generally pick people up, hold elevators for an extended time, ride them back to pick someone up if another player hit the button too soon.  BUT, if someone is not really being an a-hole but is a drain on the mission?  i'm not going out of my way.  Really when you think about it though, is it THAT much of an issue?  Do they take away that much?  Annoying as are AFK leaches, especially when the case is a potato invasion and you know you have to absolutely rush it to get the battle pay, but is it so bad in the end?

If you find the standard missions so boring, then there is deeper problem with the game I think. Anyways, I should probably stop picking up fools who take on missions that are too hard for them.

On one hand I agree, not allowing super new frames into the higher areas would be a good idea, even if it was to ease the minds of the more experienced players.

But; like I posted on a similar thread in G.D. section, I do not want to halted in my game play simply because of my rank.  I have been at the Mastery Rank test 7-8 for weeks.  

Why should I be locked out of half the map just because I can't wall run?

EDIT: I also suggested that when a player gets taxi'd to a planet they have not unlocked, i.e. for an alert, that node does not unlock after the mission is finished.  That will prevent the new player from having a jumping off point on a new planet. 

EDIT #2: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/174623-mastry-rank-0-players-lvl-cap-on-nodes/#entry2045157 

Edited by Noamuth

a) Don't unlock the planet after being given a lift there.

b) Don't give mission rewards if you don't have the node unlocked. People these days don't even bother cleaning the Starchart. They just arrive at Recruiting, and start asking for Taxis to whatever alert/boss they want (some aren't even newbs).

We just need some kind of matchmaking. I don't like to play with new people and I think they don't like to play with me because I one-shot everything and usually those guys don't even get to see the bosses.

That is why I only play solo or leave missions when I see anyone with a starting frame.

I have made suggestions to DE about having a starter level map that allows people to level their first frame and weapons and once they reach the end of this map it opens the rest of it and they can join the rest of the player base. This gives them a chance to get some mods leveled as well as their frame and weapons, while getting some game experience and learn how to survive. If they are thrown into the normal player base with the game at current level, they can't survive unless they tag along with higher players that have to carry these guys until they can level some stuff this way.

The game is so out of balance for new players at the moment, they really have one choice and that is to tag along. They need their own area to learn to swim (think shallow end of a pool.)

As it is, it's hard enough for new players to access useful rewards. If the Taxi-option is taken away from them, they'll have an even longer grind before they acquire something useful. I remember my first level-up experience. I had a rough time to find the required resources to build new weapons (I was playing mostly solo) because I could not clear the starmap out with my crappy weapon. And also, I didn't have the credits or mods or fusion cores to make higher level weapons meaningful. And I didn't have good teammates to play long defense or survival missions with, so leveling my Braton was a pain and took quite a while.

New players SHOULD be able to hop onto taxies to get that juicy alert or to gain these sweet 50 k for leveling something up.

I sure hate the fact that you sometimes enter a team with 2 leechers that don't move at all, and one new player. I hate it even more if I have my own leveling equip with me. And I REALLY hate facing the Stalker in a situation like that and dying after a 3 minute fight against the stalker (my rhino could only take so many hits, and the other present player wasn't exactly good).

But I blame and curse the players for it. Not the system. And not DE.

We do however need a way to get rid of leechers. Seriously.

As it is, it's hard enough for new players to access useful rewards....

...New players SHOULD be able to hop onto taxies to get that juicy alert or to gain these sweet 50 k for leveling something up...

I have to disagree there. When I started to play around update 8, I knew nobody and had to grind a bit here and there to level up, get funds, find mods etc., eventually being able to get further into the star map.

People are too hasty. They just start and want to wield synapse and all the "OP stuff" in a week or less (seen this; after they get that stuff they dont play anymore). Let them play the game. With trading it's even easier to get the uncommon basic stuff.

Besides I rarely potatoed or forma'ed anything til I had some good time playing. They're not "I must have this or I cant continue having fun" items.

As I always say: everything comes eventually. No need to babyfeed anyone.

I do feel that some players could make it on harder planets with their beginner gear if they have leveled because some people do learn quickly.  Mastery locks would cause some issues for good players like that.

Still, there are a lot more players that can't handle the difficult levels even when they max out their gear because they just didn't bother to learn anything.  There really needs to be a better system in place to cut back on the people that refuse to learn anything.

I would not be surprised if there are a good number of people that have done more void missions then star chart missions, and that still have not finished Venus and possibly haven't even finished Mercury.  It is very ridiculous that people get taxied out of the system where they should learn the basics and thus they screw many things up wherever they go.

Edited by JHarlequin

Well, let's dive into a couple of examples, then. Say you started, it went decent on Mercury, and then you arrive at Venus. You learned a couple of things, so all is well. You face corpus, and think they are quite a bit tougher than Grineer. You read on the internet that you should either use Magnetic or Cold to swiftly kill their shields. You check where you can find Cryo rounds. Hint: It's not on Mercury. You get it from Fusion Moas, or on Earth.

Oops... Aren't Corpus the ones you have a hard time to kill? So now you are supposed to farm Fusion Moas?

Allright, maybe Serration then?

Drops from:

Grineer Scorpion
Infested Nauseous Crawler
Infested Electric Crawler
Stalker
Tier 2 Def Reward
Tier 1/2/3 Survival Reward

Well, in theory you can get one in Surv. Good luck. It can drop at 20 minutes and 40 minutes, with a 6.67% chance.

I got my first Serration on Jupiter. It was quite a journey to there, let me tell you that... I wouldn't call that rushed. Sure, you get by until you find your own significant stuff. But it's not like most of the players make that development as solo players. Many will just enter online games. And let's be honest: If your stuff sucks, and you deal about 5% of the teams damage, and you have a hard time to even run as fast as the other players with their copter weapons and fancy mobility abilities, you aren't really in a learning experience. You aren't developing a plethora of skills. You are dead weight until you acutally find stuff that will make your presence on the map matter. If you are significant when you are doing the correct actions, or killing the correct enemy, or using the right abilities, then you learn the difference between good and bad plays. If it doesn't matter one way or the other what you are currently doing, then you learn very little. Or at least that's the way I experienced it.

Why is that stuff relevant? Well, so far new players aren't provied with the most basic mods. So they kinda need a way to get around.

If DE gave the new players something along the lines of a Serration or Hornet Strike for starters, then I'd agree with the OP. As it is now, though, the ability to taxi into an area where you can gather resources for crafting and mods to exploit weaknesses of the enemies on your current planet is really a welcome help.

Let players do what they want, don't further gate access to the game. Just improve the matchmaking, maybe DE could give players the ability to set personal preference, a range of what mastery rank players you prefer to play with.